Bin Collections

Options
Doing some research. As you know, bin collections are every fortnight. Would you pay £10 a month to have someone collect your extra bin bags on the alternative weeks to the council collections?

Would you pay £10 a month to have your bins emptied on the alternative weeks to council collections? 114 votes

Yes
6% 7 votes
No
93% 107 votes

Comments

• Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Our bin collections are still weekly....
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Doing some research. As you know, bin collections are every fortnight. Would you pay £10 a month to have someone collect your extra bin bags on the alternative weeks to the council collections?

I wouldnt as neither bin is full until 2 weeks is up, in fact the recycling one is the one that gets the fullest and our council are happy to take as much extra recycling that you put at the side in clear sacks.
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Not on a regular basis, as I already pay a fortune in council tax, and my very kind neighbour lets us use their bin if ours fills up before collection day (they only seem to produce one small bag of rubbish each fortnight).

However, if the option to pay £5 for bin emptying on an as and when basis was available, esp during the hot summer months when maggots are a potential issue, I would consider using that.

Where would the collected rubbish end up?
  • Thrice
    Thrice Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in central Scotland and our bins are on a 3 weekly cycle. Don't have any issues with this, it works fine for us.

I would worry that the people doing the collections would dump the rubbish rather than take it to a licensed council dump,
    x
  • Madmel
    Madmel Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ours is every 3 weeks and we don't fill it. Recycling and food waste are collected weekly and we regularly fill 2 recycling containers (plastics, aluminium foil, paper, cardboard, glass, metal cans). We also have a holiday cottage which is full over the summer and including the waste from there plus our own, we rarely full the bin.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    no,we rarely get a full bin within the 2 weeks when you take into account that recycling and cardboard is taken away on a weekly basis.

Some weeks there's actually hardly anything in our "big" bin
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, I see this as the thin end of a wedge where in the long term the councils will opt out of bin collection and leave resident to pay or drown in their own garbage.

Our black bin is emptied fortnightly and it!!!8217;s never full
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I would not, I don't fill the new micro-bin they've given everyone, and if I did I'd take the excess down the tip.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I was looking for a skip bin hire after the garden and lawn mowing and maintenance because I had a huge amount of waste which can be carried only by a medium-size skip bin. So, I decided to hire a skip bin service providing company. I searched over the internet and found They have a FREE quote service which makes us able to discuss our rubbish removal requirements to the representative on the phone call. He suggested me medium-size skip bin after a long discussion for the rubbish removal of my home.!

You can have a look at their this service online.!Here is their website official

Wow I can't believe the amazing service you had from this company!! Shame you're company isnt smart enough to spam on an Australian website and not a UK one who I imagine are all too poor to hire a skip all the way from Australia...
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We're in the UK so they may not cover our area.
    Worth a FREE quote though... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport