CIFАS marker?

Options
bigmac0
bigmac0 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 10 July 2019 at 1:56PM in Credit file & ratings
Hello,
I have noticed debit card purchases that were not made by me.

Will I get a CIFАS marker for reporting them?

Which category would it be?

It says it will cause banks to carry out additional checks before accepting applications.

What does this mean? What additional checks will I face if I want to open a new account for example?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unless you're "in on something" then you have nothing to worry about.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    bigmac0 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have noticed debit card purchases that were not made by me.

Will I get a CIFАS marker for reporting them?

Which category would it be?

It says it will cause banks to carry out additional checks before accepting applications.

What does this mean? What additional checks will I face if I want to open a new account for example?

If you are reporting transactions that you don't recognise on your bank or credit card, then you wouldn't get a CIFAS marker for reporting them.

If you think you've been the victim of ID theft however, or the bank does, then it will be protective registration.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration

The additional checks would be anytime you or a fraudster applied for something in your name, there would be no automatic yes/no to being accepted for credit, the application will always be deferred until the lender could contact you via your contact methods on file and confirm that it is you who applied for said product and then they would make a decision.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • bigmac0
    bigmac0 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 10 July 2019 at 3:05PM
    Options
    Thanks Candyapple. I feel more reassured now. Do you work in the industry?

So, basically, all it means is that instant approvals might be interrupted while they ask for physical ID or send me a text to validate my phone number?

I don't mind having someone call to check my number and would normally apply in person with my ID documents rather than any online applications.

What I don't want is loads of databases scouring for information about me or a higher risk level being assigned to my application. Some banks can be very fussy and the slightest risk could mean rejection.

Background: I used my card online and got an email afterwards telling me my personal details and card details were hacked because the website had poor security.

I called my bank and they sent me a new card, but months later there are unauthorised payments. I don't know how this could have happened.

There is no "card fraud" category on the list of CIFАS marker categories.

My name and address may have been used along with the card number to make payment. Is this not impersonation? Category 2?

Or is impersonation only if someone applies for an account pretending to be someone else?

Anyway, I hope it will be OK.
  • bigmac0
    Options
    It says on the CFAS website:

"Victim of impersonation"

"Identity fraud happens when a fraudster pretends to be you using your personal details to buy a product or take out a loan in your name...."

Has anyone on this forum had a category 2 flag after an unauthorised card payment to buy a product?

Candy Apple said category 2 was just for application fraud, but now I'm not so sure.

If I get one, how can I get it removed?
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You won't be penalised for having a CIFAS marker for being a victim of fraud. I used to monitor and investigate screening of customers flagged by various fraud databases, including CIFAS.

You may find any insurance / banking applications you make are subject to extra scrutiny (e.g.: you may be asked to provide additional documentation to prove you are genuine and it is not another impersonation attempt), but it will not affect you're ability to get credit or make an application.

The rules for CIFAS members are very clear in this regard - the CIFAS markers are to be used as an indicator for further investigation only, and not in any way for instant decline / automated decision making.

In short, you can't have it removed, but it won't prejudice you either.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bigmac0 wrote: »
    It says on the CFAS website:

"Victim of impersonation"

"Identity fraud happens when a fraudster pretends to be you using your personal details to buy a product or take out a loan in your name...."

Has anyone on this forum had a category 2 flag after an unauthorised card payment to buy a product?

Candy Apple said category 2 was just for application fraud, but now I'm not so sure.

If I get one, how can I get it removed?

You're not going to get a "Victim of Impersonation" CIFAS marker for debit card fraud using your details. Don't worry about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure