Lufthansa connecting flight

Options
Due to being a Thomas Cook casualty, I ended up booking connecting flights Heathrow to Munich with a fifteen hour stopover (in Munich) and then onto Antalya (for myself and three children). I booked a hotel in Munich centre (to arrive late evening) and planned to go to the Nazi Museum (plus see Munich centre) the next morning, before going back to the airport at lunchtime. The flights were with Lufthansa booked via Opodo.

On the way to Heathrow, I was emailed by Lufthansa to say that my flight to Munich was cancelled. At the Lufthansa desk, I was told that we couldn't be put on the BA flight that was due to leave at the same time as there were only business class seats left. So we were booked on the 7am BA flight and put up in the Holiday Inn.

Instead of spending time in Munich, all we saw was the airport.

I emailed Lufthansa to claim compensation for this delay and for the non refundable Munich hotel booking, but they have replied saying that they will only pay for the hotel booking. They have said that due to arriving in Antalya on time, we are not entitled to compensation, as this was the final destination.

As far as I was concerned the Munich visit was part of the holiday, which I then ended up spending at Heathrow and Munich airport.

Are they correct or do I still have a claim?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,553 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    was this booked as London to Antalya or as multi city with the two separate flights selected?
  • mshimmy
    mshimmy Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what the difference is? I deliberately looked for a connecting flight with a long overnight stopover (so we could see spend some time seeing the city we were stopping in). Does that make this booking London to Antalya?
  • mshimmy
    Options
    I've found the booking confirmation email and it was booked London to Antalya
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mshimmy wrote: »
    I've found the booking confirmation email and it was booked London to Antalya

The regulations stipulate that a delay is calculated at the final destination of your trip.

If you include a long connection time at an intermediate airport en-route and the first flight is delayed, eating into that connection time, but you still arrive at your final destination within 3 hours of the schedule, you do not qualify for compensation.

The airline views that situation as one continuous journey.

However, if the connection time is such that it requires a night stay and hotel etc you probably have a possible case for compensation.

To verify this try entering your flight details into a couple of online flight delay calculators such as Bott & Co or EUclaim.

You may have to follow it up with a call to their call centre as this is slightly out of the norm.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • mshimmy
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give that a try
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business