Tm's MFW ramblings

Options

Comments

• turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope so Squirrel! They are a family with 4 kids, 3 live with them 1 doesn't (teenage girl fell out with mum), and number 5 is imminent. The rent is paid with HB. Due to the area the property is in, I am unlikely to find tenants who would be working or if they are, they are unlikely to be earning enough to be paying the rent fully themselves. So while some LL are not keen on DSS, I see it that as long as they have the means to pay the rent, I'm not bothered where it comes from. I set the rent at the 3 bed LHA rate for the area - no point charging something that people can't afford.

I didn't set out to become a LL (got trapped in negative equity, although that is no longer the case) and I've not got £££££ signs pinging at the thought of my rental income. However, now that it is finally starting to turn a profit AND I have tenants that pay the rent and want to stay long term.... well I think it'd be silly to give that up.
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    Sounds like you're making the best of what was originally a less than ideal situation :)

With DSS you know the rent will be paid, and it sounds like they treat the property with healthy respect, I fail to see the downside :)

We had considered buying a fancier house in a couple of years time and renting this one out, somewhat similar to your situation (but different in that we love this house and its location). I'm not sure I can think of many compelling reasons for us to move though if I'm honest. Upgrading just because it's the done thing isn't really our style. Reading the millionaire next door has added more weight to the staying put argument!

If we're to get into BTL it will probably be on a purchase made with that squarely in mind, and carry on living here. Not sure how heavily weighted towards UK property I want our net worth to be though. That said, it does seem to be one of the better long term wealth stores available to us, plus you can earn an income which fits in nicely with the semi retirement goal!
  • turtlemoose
    Options
    Still shuffling that 4.79% loan around, trying to swap it to interest free! Have used the BTL tax money (bill not due till Jan) and more Santander 123 card stoozing.

Balance today is £565.01 (with no OPs it would be £6928.56 and 40 months to go!)

I've shifted the remaining £3370 to interest free (I owe Ed one of these :beer: )

Car insurance isn't due until November... I'm tempted to use the 'set aside' money to pay it all off today, then make repaying the car insurance pot the number one job.... off to ring for a settlement figure......
  • turtlemoose
    Options
    Done! Settlement figure was £569.74.

Now the only interest I'm paying is my mortgages! :D

Debt is as follows, all 0%, number of months until has to be paid:
    £700 - HMRC - monthly payment £50 - 14 months
    £2500 - Nwide overdraft - 11 months
    £868.79 - S 123 ccc - 22 months
    £569.74 - various bills pot - 5 months
    £2087.81 - Nwide CC - 11 months

TOTAL £6726.34 ALL INTEREST FREE, FEELING VERY MSE RIGHT NOW!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've shifted the remaining £3370 to interest free (I owe Ed one of these :beer:)

Cheers - will be substituting a glass of rioja that a thoughtful family member gifted me as a man present when DD arrived :)
  • Silian
    Silian Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Turtle,

Just read through your diary - it seems like you are making real progress even if it doesn't really feel that way.

Having a job you don't like really sucks. I'm in a similar situation and way too lazy to try to find something else - I know there are a few skills that I first have to learn and I just don't want to. Have you looked around for something else at all?

How is the home improvements going? You spoke about it a bit at the start, but not much info in the later posts.
  • turtlemoose
    Options
    I'm constantly looking. But I'm in the trap of needing to match my current income. So comparable jobs are not high enough salary. Or, if they are, they want specifics that I dont have. I made the mistake of taking on a lot of tasks, projects and responsibilities but without the proper recognition/titles. So on paper I don't look as if I know as much as I do. Plus got screwed over by work and returned from a year mat leave to a position that a school leaver could do . So my previous experience is 3 years old and getting older by the day....my knowledge is becoming out of date.

Over the last two years I've had 3 job offers but none of them could get close financially.

Once we are debt free and childcare free, I can look at taking lower money perhaps.

Home improvement wise. Well! We have managed the downstairs wc replacement (which also included new pipework, plastering and tiling). We've done bits and pieces of decorating and fixing things , and some work to the garden, but nothing huge unfortunately. I've been doing Konmari so have decluttered a LOT. I'm hoping once that process has finished I will have some motivation to do some more decorating :)
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Found you via MF in 2025-30 and read your diary. I like the idea of thinking of the debt in 1% chunks, seems much more manageable.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • turtlemoose
    Options
    pavlovs_dog, you've prompted me to have a look at the debt balance, as I've not thought about it in terms of those 1% for a little while:

Balance 01/01/2015: £8559.66
    Balance 18/06/2015: £5894.65
    % paid: 31.13

So we are a little behind target (should be at 32.5% to hit target of 65% paid in 2015), it's £117.27 which I'm not too concerned about, I'm sure we can make that up in the next 6 months. Of course it is now all interest free too whereas it wasn't at the start of the year.

OH, spendy OH, is getting on board a little more with the debt busting. This is momentous news from he who would like to spend every penny on fun :rotfl::T He's been putting extra in the joint account voluntarily meaning we've had a few nice family days out, a few takeaways, but also have a healthy £1k sat aside for wedding bits and pieces. Only 6 weeks to go :eek: I'm pretty sure plenty of that money will be left over, and he wants to put what's left against the debt - woohoo!! :money:
  • turtlemoose
    Options
    I've just been looking at my Noddle report and totted up my credit limit on all my open credit cards. £17900. What? That's just bizarre and seems excessive.

Do you wise MFWers know if I should cancel the unused ones? Is it beneficial in some way? Or is it handy to keep them around? I've got the following cards with these limits:

Amex: 1300 (balance nil)
    Creation: 1000 (balance £200 - this card gives 9mo interest free on the season tickets for footy, so must stay)
    Tesco: 3000 (balance nil. Used to use this a lot for the points but now very rarely use it as usually use S123 for cb instead)
    MBNA: 5000 (balance nil)
    Nationwide: 2500 (balance nil)
    Santander 123: 5100 (balance 2994.65)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family