Options
1252627282931»

Comments

• turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have an actual mortgage OP question for those wiser than me here :smiley:

As offsetting is no longer an option, I'll be paying directly off my mortgage, but I have two parts to my mortgage and I'm not sure which part is better to pay the OP towards, or if it doesn't matter.

Both are fixed at 1.77% until March 2026. 20% overpayments allowed per year, and I won't be anywhere near that threshold so no worry about penalties.

Part 1: Balance £64775, remaining term 14 years 7 months, monthly payment £420.79
    Part 2: Balance £26558, remaining term 29 years 1 month, monthly payment £97.79

Last time I remortgaged, I stayed with the same lender as I didn't meet affordability criteria to move elsewhere. Presuming I stay in the same job (hopefully!), I'll be able to shop around for deals and potentially change lender. I want to get the accounts in the best possible position to give me the most options.

Do I do....? 
    Option 1: Split the overpayments between both parts, and if so - equally or proportionately
    Option 2: OP part 1 only 
    Option 3: OP part 2 only

I don't know whether it's better to OP part 1 because it's the highest balance. Or better to OP part 2 because it has a longer term. 

I'm probably leaning towards thinking I should OP part 2, but I know some lenders have a minimum mortgage amount and I'm wondering if that would negatively affect me in future if I look to move to another lender.... or would that not matter as a remortgage elsewhere would combine the two? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback