Relationship spilt- ownership of caravan

Myself and my ex-partner have recently spilt. During the time of our relationship we had the chance to buy a caravan. We didn't have the funds so my parents bought it for us. They paid £3k-£1800 for the caravan and £1200 for ground rent, this was a deal so couldn't have paid one without the other. A month later my partner took out a loan, he gave my parents £1800. After the year of buying it we had to then pay ground rent monthly of £100. This was from my ex partners bank account, but part of our household bills.

My parents fitted new floors, bathroom suite and blinds amongst other things.

Now we have spilt my ex is claiming he owns the entire
Caravan. I suggested we pay £50 a month each towards rent and liaise with each other about times spent for holidays.

Can anyone advise if this is 50/50 ownership or do you think he solely owns it?

I have receipts for electric bills, rates and insurance for caravan is in my name?

Any advice?

Comments

• Jelllibeanz
    Jelllibeanz Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi

It sounds like you guys have not been married. So this is not likely to become part of a divorce settlement. However, for the sake of the children and having been in similar circumstances previously I would suggest you aim to come to an amicable arrangement.

I would venture to suggest you both own it as it was purchased and maintained whilst you were together. Whilst sentimentally it probably holds a lot of value, it doesn't hold much in financial terms.

You've said the bills are in your name. If you were to add his name to the accounts could you guarantee he would pay? Are you able to maintain it yourself? What has his response been like in relation to your suggestion?

Have all the loan payments been completed?

Is he using it as a place to stay now you've split?
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi

It sounds like you guys have not been married. So this is not likely to become part of a divorce settlement. However, for the sake of the children and having been in similar circumstances previously I would suggest you aim to come to an amicable arrangement.

I would venture to suggest you both own it as it was purchased and maintained whilst you were together. Whilst sentimentally it probably holds a lot of value, it doesn't hold much in financial terms.

You've said the bills are in your name. If you were to add his name to the accounts could you guarantee he would pay? Are you able to maintain it yourself? What has his response been like in relation to your suggestion?

Have all the loan payments been completed?

Is he using it as a place to stay now you've split?

Are you aware this is a repost?
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DUTR wrote: »
    Are you aware this is a repost?

Good..! The concept of someone bring mother to a caravan is a tad disturbing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure