2»

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Datchet wrote: »
    Comms69

Let me explain : we are each run with our own P&L and given a bonus based on personal profit. Therefore if the travel expense quantum is £5k higher than it needs to be over a year then that netted off my profit and therefore income.

What's more is that I incur much more travel expense than other colleagues as I have a roving brief.

Many businesses are moving to this model

Any advice welcome
    Ah so it's a bonus, not wages.

In which case the company is perfectly entitled to set whatever conditions they want. They could actually insist on you using the agent.

You doing more travel is a double edged sword. You have higher expenses, but presumably more opportunity to make sales?

I appreciate you want to have a legitimate argument to make more money. BUT bonuses are almost always discretionary.
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Options
    Put out a tender for a different travel agent to work with your team?
    Register your team for corporate amex or similar? You are a separate accounting group so presumably you can agree contracts. Show the company (in £) how much money could be saved. Your profit is, presumably, their profit.

This sounds like someone is winning somewhere. Agent is a friend, perks for senior management, whatever.

We have to use a specific travel agent, but their extra charges aren't too bad and it all goes on the company amex. Any personal expenses are reimbursed within a week of claiming (usually faster).
  • Datchet
    Datchet Posts: 117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only just took stock of replies - because...,, I've been away!

All who replied thanks for help, examples and suggestions. Personal action plan is to tally all savings And prove how wrong their approach is.
    I'm getting a new credit card.

Will submit more claims.

Best wishes!
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to play the game.

Always submit expenses promptly.

eg always book British Airways or its One World Alliance airlines. Register for Avios, get yourself an Avios earning credit card. Pick a hotel chain that suits (or use hotels.com) and register for their scheme and build up points for bonus nights.

Before long you will be in a situation where your expenses are paid before your credit card payment hits your bank account, you will have built up a nice balance of Avios and hotel reward nights and will be in a position to enjoy holidays that you could never otherwise afford.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • 2030mike
    Options
    Some years ago a colleague of mine had circa £1000 outstanding expenses. When the company went bust he was left in debt.

Apologies for a message of doom but better to be aware than not!
  • chile_paul
    chile_paul Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    Bear in mind that from a corporate perspective with these centralised schemes there is often a significant rebate from the travel agents / hotel chains once a certain number of hotel nights have been booked across the company.

However this won!!!8217;t be shown in the headline rate per night and it almost certainly won!!!8217;t help your team expense position as the rebate won!!!8217;t get split out to the individuals or teams who had used the hotels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure