Dad Recently Passed Away with No Will

Options

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    chrisb1357 wrote: »
    Just had the funeral final bill and invoice today. Got 30 days to pay it.

The bill/invoice is to my mum so could we still bill this to the estate or not or has mum got to pay it

As you have had the funeral grant, I know it wont pay it all off, but pay that now, as for the remainder of the bill, speak to the funeral directors explain that the 1st payment is the grant and the remainder will be paid when Dads money gets sorted.

They should be ok with that, its more touch base and say this is where we are up to,

x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • chrisb1357
    chrisb1357 Posts: 836 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bereavement Payment is not a grant and it does not state anyware on the site or paperwork that it has to be used for funeral costs. That's what the Funeral Payment scheme is for if she was to apply for.

mum2one wrote: »
    As you have had the funeral grant, I know it wont
    pay it all off, but pay that now, as for the remainder of the bill, speak to the funeral directors explain that the 1st payment is the grant and the remainder will be paid when Dads money gets sorted.

They should be ok with that, its more touch base and say this is where we are up to,

x
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Just had the funeral final bill and invoice today. Got 30 days to pay it.

The bill/invoice is to my mum so could we still bill this to the estate or not or has mum got to pay it
    Legally the person who ordered the funeral is liable to pay for it. They can then reclaim that from the estate. The undertaker should be told ASAP of the situation as they may charge interest if the bill is not paid on time.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Bereavement Payment is not a grant and it does not state anyware on the site or paperwork that it has to be used for funeral costs. That's what the Funeral Payment scheme is for if she was to apply for.

If the person who died in under 65yrs old then a payment of 2k is automatically sent out, the funeral payment is a social fund for people who are not eligible as the person who died is over 65 yrs, the spouse needs to apply for that - there is no automatic right to receive a payment.

The person who signed for the funeral is liable for the cost - surely if you have received the 2k bearvement payment then logically this needs to be paid...
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • chrisb1357
    Options
    I have called the local Solicitor today who was no help at all. She basically said after i had explained everything what do you want help with as i can help with anything. So not sure what to do next.

She also stated that Mum needs to be the Administrator and not me
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If there are any assets in the estate that could pay the funeral bill try to have that paid directly from the holder of the asset.

Collecting it then paying the funeral would count as intermeddling.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    I have called the local Solicitor today who was no help at all. She basically said after i had explained everything what do you want help with as i can help with anything. So not sure what to do next.

She also stated that Mum needs to be the Administrator and not me
    Exactly what are you still unsure about?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    re funeral this came up before, probably worth a read.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5003261
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    re funeral this came up before, probably worth a read.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5003261
    This article gives a good explanation about intermeddling.

http://www.mondaq.com/x/209888/wills+intestacy+estate+planning/What+Not+To+Do+When+Someone+Dies
  • chrisb1357
    Options
    Even more confused tonight. Still not idea what to do and not a single family member wanting to help or anything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure