New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Dad Recently Passed Away with No Will

edited 3 June 2016 at 10:41PM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
102 replies 17.8K views

Replies

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mum2one wrote: »
    I see where ur coming from but if there's not enough in the estate and mum gets pension then it would need to come out of that,

Once u get a figure off any insurance which forms the estate , funeral 1st X

Definitely. Mum could pay it but put the bill into the estate so that she gets the money back before any debts get paid.
  • mum2onemum2one Forumite
    16.3K posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I apologise if I have asked b4, is there any life insurance, or is the money coming to mum from death in service.

As for funeral, if you get the 2k grant - pay that straight off the funeral, the rest would need to come from the estate.

How the estate gets made up, I would assume that the pension etc all goes straight to mum, - this would be left to her...

I'd personally wait to see what comes in from where, its still early days, then once everything been confirmed - know whats where. x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • chrisb1357chrisb1357 Forumite
    836 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    There was no life insurance for my dad.

Mum had letter from dads work today to say they are paying the full death in service benefit in a few weeks direct to mum. Nearly twice his annual salary.

DWP today also confirmed £2000 beavement payment in next 2 weeks.
  • FinstFinst Forumite
    146 posts
    chrisb1357 wrote: »
    So is that not causing issues for the creditors that need to be paid if they was to pay mum and not the estate. Could they still chase mum for the payment known she has the money

If there isn't going to be enough money to pay all the debts, then yes, having the refund of contributions paid directly to your mum will result in your mum getting more and the creditors getting less.

As mum2one has already said, if the debts are not joint debts, they can't chase your mum for them
  • Yorkshireman99Yorkshireman99 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finst wrote: »
    If there isn't going to be enough money to pay all the debts, then yes, having the refund of contributions paid directly to your mum will result in your mum getting more and the creditors getting less.

As mum2one has already said, if the debts are not joint debts, they can't chase your mum for them
    Nevertheless the OP really needs to be careful to avoid anything that could be considered as intermeddling. He really should get some professional advice rather than relying on this thread.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    16.3K posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's good news about the dwp payment. Xx
    836 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I think I am going to take on this advice and contact the local family solicitor we have used before and another to get a price for dealing with this.

I had a letter back today from one of the creditors (Lowell Financial) which says thank you for contacting us we have now updated our records and closed the account and no further correspondence reagarding this account will be sent. Does this mean they have just wiped the debt due as it says nothing about what was due etc

Mum also been allocated the Bereavement Allowance soon so once we get this allowance on the first week and the 2K we will inform the DWP, ESA and Council as they will need to know so an overpayment is not made.

Nevertheless the OP really needs to be careful to avoid anything that could be considered as intermeddling. He really should get some professional advice rather than relying on this thread.
  • Yorkshireman99Yorkshireman99 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a letter back today from one of the creditors (Lowell Financial) which says thank you for contacting us we have now updated our records and closed the account and no further correspondence reagarding this account will be sent. Does this mean they have just wiped the debt due as it says nothing about what was due etc

That sounds as if they are writing off the debt.
    16.3K posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds as if they are writing off the debt.

It does sound as thou there writing the debt off, we had the same from the bank with the credit card, just waiting for other credit card to play ball x
    836 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just had the funeral final bill and invoice today. Got 30 days to pay it.

The bill/invoice is to my mum so could we still bill this to the estate or not or has mum got to pay it
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support