RCI Bank 1.5% Instant Access Savings Account

Options

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    And perhaps we should only invest in shares in U.K. companies quoted on the LSE and forget foreign shares.
    That is a non sequitur, the protection that applies to deposit accounts simply does not operate for equities
    Your argument is therefore pretty much uninformed and ridiculous
    I woud look at your own argument before criticising others
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It would take more than a rate of 1.5% to get me to save any money with a bank operating in the UK that isn't fully regulated by the FCA. Other foreign banks manage to operate with full regulation. Why doesn't this one? Does it not meet our regulatory requirements?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 June 2015 at 6:28AM
    Options
    Let's start with my position that the FSCS only protects each account holder and not each bank account and not each bank in a group where the £85000 is shared across all such group bank accounts. Perhaps those who have disagreed with that would like to explain why that is wrong!

There is absolutely no difference whatsoever in avoiding investing in foreign bank accounts and investing in foreign shares and confining oneself to UK owned companies. It stems from the same narrow-mindedness!

We have already seen the effectiveness of the FSCS guarantee several times: When a bank goes under it is taken over by the regulator and that bank is then sold by the government not necessarily to the highest bidder and then we find ourselves owned by a foreign bank. And that my friends is the biggest laugh of the lot! No-one gets compensated because no-one needs to be compensated. c.f. Alliance &Leicester, Abbey National, both U.K. owned long-standing banking institutions now owned by Spanish Santander. Need I list more?
  • Anthorn
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    If somebody says something that doesn't agree with your personal opinions of how the guarantee schemes might work, it doesn't mean they are uninformed.

Let's see: My criticism about RCI Bank UK more specifically related to the account opening, is based on my own personal and informed experience from having actually opened a Freedom Savings Account at RCI Bank UK. However all you have to offer is unsupported hearsay and innuendo. That's why you're uninformed and I'm informed! For crying out loud you didn't even know the name of the bank until I wrote it here: Just to recap it's RCI Bank UK.
  • masonic
    edited 20 June 2015 at 8:37AM
    Options
    Let's start with my position that the FSCS only protects each account holder and not each bank account and not each bank in a group where the £85000 is shared across all such group bank accounts. Perhaps those who have disagreed with that would like to explain why that is wrong!
    I wasn't one of the people who disagreed with you, but the fact is that you are wrong when you say that £85k is always shared between banks that are part of a group. As colsten previously said, you should really familiarise yourself with how these things work before arguing against those who are more informed (and more experienced) in these matters than you are. You could start with the guide on this site: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/safe-savings

Pay particular attention to point 4. "The definition of 'institution' depends on a bank's licence and giant banking conglomerates make it complex. For example, sister banks Halifax and Bank of Scotland's accounts are only covered up to £85k combined. RBS and NatWest are also sisters, but their £85k limits are SEPARATE."
    There is absolutely no difference whatsoever in avoiding investing in foreign bank accounts and investing in foreign shares and confining oneself to UK owned companies. It stems from the same narrow-mindedness!
    There is zero protection if you invest in a UK share and it goes bust.
    There is zero protection if you invest in a foreign share and it goes bust.
    There is FSCS protection if you save in a UK bank account and it goes bust.
    There is FSCS protection if you save in most foreign-owned UK bank accounts and they goes bust.
    However, with RCI Bank UK, there is no FSCS protection if it goes bust. This is a matter of verifiable fact. They say so on their website.

Still think there is no difference whatsoever between these protections?
    We have already seen the effectiveness of the FSCS guarantee several times: When a bank goes under it is taken over by the regulator and that bank is then sold by the government not necessarily to the highest bidder and then we find ourselves owned by a foreign bank. And that my friends is the biggest laugh of the lot! No-one gets compensated because no-one needs to be compensated. c.f. Alliance &Leicester, Abbey National, both U.K. owned long-standing banking institutions now owned by Spanish Santander. Need I list more?
    I agree with all of that. But the fact remains that banks that are not part of the FSCS, like RCI Bank UK, are not subject to those safeguards. We have already had experience of what happens when a bank that is not part of the FSCS goes bust. This happened with Icesave. The foreign scheme was going to renege on its promise to repay savers, leaving them without compensation, until the UK Government stepped in and used anti-terrorism legislation to (unlawfully) freeze its UK assets and use them in part to repay savers. As colsten also pointed out, it is less likely the same thing would happen in the future, because strictly it was a misuse of those powers.

Governments have a pretty strong interest in protecting their own citizens, which is why FSCS protection is so important to us in the UK. Foreign Governments are somewhat less predisposed to protecting citizens of other states, which is why passport schemes are regarded as inferior.

Edit: Also, in your example above, Santander is fully regulated by the FCA and is part of the FSCS. Nobody has any concerns about the protections offered to savers there. The situation is quite different with RCI. It is not fully regulated by the FCA and not part of the FSCS - this is the genuine added risk that you seem to be misinterpreting as narrow-mindedness.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For crying out loud you didn't even know the name of the bank until I wrote it here: Just to recap it's RCI Bank UK.

It's quite amazing just how many things you got wrong in this thread, and even more amazing that you keep adding to it.

You will find written proof in this very thread, post #4, that I knew of RCI on June 9 2015, which is about 10 days before you first posted here about it. I can provide no written proof that I knew about RCI before it was ever mentioned on MSE, but it is fair to say that you are no different to anyone else and don't know when I first knew about them.

Do yourself a favour and stop digging as you are in a really deep hole already.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Moneyfacts reported RCI entering the retail savings market a couple of weeks ago.
  • Anthorn
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    It's quite amazing just how many things you got wrong in this thread, and even more amazing that you keep adding to it.

You will find written proof in this very thread, post #4, that I knew of RCI on June 9 2015, which is about 10 days before you first posted here about it. I can provide no written proof that I knew about RCI before it was ever mentioned on MSE, but it is fair to say that you are no different to anyone else and don't know when I first knew about them.

Do yourself a favour and stop digging as you are in a really deep hole already.

Loads of peple knew about it and know about it now because as the previous post states it was announced beforehand. But my question is what personal experience do you have of RCI Bank UK to qualify your statements about it? I'll even settle for personal experience of RCI Banque. Tip: It's in the Renault Group. Omg that's even more French lol. C'est la vie.
  • masonic
    Options
    But my question is what personal experience do you have of RCI Bank UK to qualify your statements about it? I'll even settle for personal experience of RCI Banque. Tip: It's in the Renault Group. Omg that's even more French lol. C'est la vie.
    Why do you care about personal experiences? They are just a type of anecdotal evidence and isolated personal experiences are pretty unreliable vs. documentary evidence. Opening a bank account with an institution certainly does not make you any sort of authority about the practices of that institution or its main regulatory body. Neither does discovering the existence of the institution in question earlier than others.

Your question implies that there are unqualified statements that have been made about this bank. My reading of the thread suggests the following fully qualified statements have been made:

- RCI Bank UK is not part of the FSCS
    - It is not fully regulated by the FCA
    - Most other foreign banks are part of the FSCS and are fully regulated by the FCA
    - Non-FSCS compensation schemes have previously failed to meet their obligations to UK savers

Which statements have been made that you believe must be further qualified?
  • Anthorn
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Why do you care about personal experiences? They are just a type of anecdotal evidence and isolated personal experiences are pretty unreliable vs. documentary evidence. Opening a bank account with an institution certainly does not make you any sort of authority about the practices of that institution or its main regulatory body. Neither does discovering the existence of the institution in question earlier than others.

Your question implies that there are unqualified statements that have been made about this bank. My reading of the thread suggests the following fully qualified statements have been made:

- RCI Bank UK is not part of the FSCS
    - It is not fully regulated by the FCA
    - Most other foreign banks are part of the FSCS and are fully regulated by the FCA
    - Non-FSCS compensation schemes have previously failed to meet their obligations to UK savers

Which statements have been made that you believe must be further qualified?

I place a very high value on personal experience and personal recommendations. When I see some objection which is not qualified by personal experience or not qualified by the personal experience of others I regard it simply as an unreasonable and misinformed hatchet job which I ignore.

No one is disputing that RCI Bank is not guaranteed by the FSCS but it is in fact regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority as are all financial services in th U.K. and it does have the backing of the French guarantee scheme.

But hold on if the information in this thread is to be believed, the demise of French Banks is imminent as is the French government welching on the guarantee for foreign savers! Maybe I should sell my little caravan in Cap D'Agde before the whole French economy goes to the wall lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure