Blocked Drains - Average Cost

Options
Hi All,

Has anyone an idea of the average cost of unblocking a drain. We have just found out the drain in our garden is blocked.. i mean smelly blocked :o, and we need to have it cleared.

As we are totally new to this anyone have a average cost of getting this done?

Really appreciate the time for reading and thanks. :beer:
Arhhhhhhh, If only Life was that simlpe!!

Comments

• gazza975526570
    Options
    STEG wrote: »
    Hi All,

Has anyone an idea of the average cost of unblocking a drain. We have just found out the drain in our garden is blocked.. i mean smelly blocked :o, and we need to have it cleared.

As we are totally new to this anyone have a average cost of getting this done?

Really appreciate the time for reading and thanks. :beer:

Varies - depends if it needs jetting.

Have you got House Insurance? Most policies will cover you for a one off blockage

Give them a call
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

First try unblock it yourself, if you don`t have rods try using a mop.

It will be cheaper weekdays. When comparing prices check if it includes high pressure jetting . Some companies advertise say £45 then say rods wont do it ( they may or may not be telling the truth) then charge extra for high pressure jetting machine.

Anyhow, to answer the question , if the blockage is cleared within the hour expect to pay £50- 80 including high pressure jetting ( if reqd) and VAT.
    It may be possible to find someone to clear it for as little as £45 if you ring around.
    In extreme cases such as where tree roots are causing the problem or the drain has collapsed expect to pay a lot more but it might be worth checking with your insurance if you are covered. Its also possible, but very unlikely, that the drain could be unblocked for free by the council if shared by many properties.

If your in leeds ring me!
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • STEG_2
    STEG_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks gazza975526570 and bestyman for your replies.

We are not looking to use the house insurance, as we are trying to keep the costing down in the long term..

We are in Sefton, Merseyside, so sadly not in Leeds Bestyman, thanks anyway.

Well just found some drain clearing equipement with screwfix, for around £20, a face mask! £10, and overalls and gloves for £8 , I have a jet wash, So looks like I may have a smelly job on my hands.. pardon the pun:D.
  • bestyman
    Options
    Let me know if you want any advice re drain unblocking.
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • STEG_2
    STEG_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

Its been awhile since I posted this but its only fair I let you know the outcome. We found out where had cover through homebase for the drains which was £11 for the year, so we used them and its all sorted. and been great since fingers crossed.. Thanks again to you all
  • Gothicfairy
    Options
    T.P.S I don't think you are allowed to post here on behalf of any company without permission.
    It might be worth just emailing them and asking
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Iwillresolvemydebt
    Options
    Hi,

I have a blocked drain apparently...
    When my washing machine empties, it comes up the sink - disgusting I realise!
    I spoke to the plumber who plumbed our new bathroom in who said he has cleared as far as he can (pipes under the sink) but fears that there is a blockage further down, meaning that the washing machine waste is going down the pipes, hitting the blockage and coming back up again but unfortunatley up into the sink...
    Thios is confirmed by the smell when it empties and also the clothes coming out of the wash, marked with dark lines on...

Really cannot afford the cost of getting someone out (£80/hour min)...

How should I go about fixing it, or at least attempting ,myself?

Many thanks
  • bestyman
    Options
    Hi,

I have a blocked drain apparently...
    When my washing machine empties, it comes up the sink - disgusting I realise!
    I spoke to the plumber who plumbed our new bathroom in who said he has cleared as far as he can (pipes under the sink) but fears that there is a blockage further down, meaning that the washing machine waste is going down the pipes, hitting the blockage and coming back up again but unfortunatley up into the sink...
    Thios is confirmed by the smell when it empties and also the clothes coming out of the wash, marked with dark lines on...

Really cannot afford the cost of getting someone out (£80/hour min)...

How should I go about fixing it, or at least attempting ,myself?

Many thanks

Do you have ( or can you beg borrow or steal) a wet and dry vac? If so this is worth a try and the easiest option ( post back if you need more info).

Second option is drain cleaning chemicals, but a lot of them don`t work.

Last option is to trace the pipes and take them apart yourself. If you are unlucky its the main drain or even a manhole thats blocked outside. If your is is a newish house with internal, and often boxed in plumbing this makes the job much harder.
  • Iwillresolvemydebt
    Options
    Many thanks for that prompt advice I will have to have a go. I have a Vax machine, not sure if this is what you mean?

My plumber (who clearly doesn't do drainage!) suggested i might need to get some acid beginning with 's' from a 'proper' plumbing supplier. It put me off slightly when he said you have to be VERY careful as it is 100% acidic and will not only burn away my skin, but also the coating on my stainless steel sink! I wondered therefore, what this would do to the pipes after this? Although I guess it is made for this purpose?

With regard to the last comment, there is a relatively short pipe running from my sink/washing machine down to the main downpipe (soil?) so would guess that if the first option was not successful, I would need to look at clearing this. I already know that there are no blockages beyond this as I have checked the manhole in the garden...
    Thanks again for your help

Regards,

Paul
  • bestyman
    Options
    Many thanks for that prompt advice I will have to have a go. I have a Vax machine, not sure if this is what you mean?

My plumber (who clearly doesn't do drainage!) suggested i might need to get some acid beginning with 's' from a 'proper' plumbing supplier. It put me off slightly when he said you have to be VERY careful as it is 100% acidic and will not only burn away my skin, but also the coating on my stainless steel sink! I wondered therefore, what this would do to the pipes after this? Although I guess it is made for this purpose?

With regard to the last comment, there is a relatively short pipe running from my sink/washing machine down to the main downpipe (soil?) so would guess that if the first option was not successful, I would need to look at clearing this. I already know that there are no blockages beyond this as I have checked the manhole in the garden...
    Thanks again for your help

Regards,

Paul

Ive never used a vax, but if its like a hoover thats OK with water, thats what I mean.

Use the machine to suck out the pipes. You will find that if you put the hose where the WM goes then the suction will simply suck from the sink waste and not the blockage, so you may need someone else to block the sink overflow and plug with a damp cloth while you suck. If this does not work trace the pipework to where the WM and sink meet, pull apart the pipe and suck from there - this way the suction will be on the blocked part of the pipe and no where else.

Also, if it pulls apart easily outside try sucking from there.

The drain cleaner he refers to is one shot. Its 98% sulphuric acid.
    It sometimes works, in fact of all the drain cleaners it is the best. The problem is that if you put it down a pipe and it does not work then you are left with pipes full of acid. It will not damage pipes but it does melt vacuum cleaner hoses, burns carpets and really burns skin.( also turns stainless steel black) Do not use with other chemicals or you can accidentally make a bomb. This is why I did not recommend this in my first post. But like I say, It does work especially if you can remove most of the water with the vac first. Googles and gloves are a must. I will still advise you not to use it though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure