PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GQ - I use Freecycle quite a lot and have had the same experiences. I no longer reply to anyone who doesn't ask nicely. If you want a freebee you can at least say please! Going to plant up the climbing beans today and pot up the extras to give away. I've been sorting out my herbs & given 2 pots of lemon balm away and acquired some dill in exchange! I bought some mint in the SM last night and have a nice pot for that.
    Going on holiday next week and sorting clothes has resulted in a pair of sandals and a pair of jeans going to the CS - there may be a few more pieces going that way too ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OH and I are home after almost 4 weeks holiday touring sw Scotland:D, no Kondoing and worse still there is washing everywhere, clean to be put away/returned to the van and still a huge pile waiting to be washed:eek:

I have spent most of my free time since return Kondoing the weeds in the garden, ground was rock hard so very difficult, but we have had a little rain overnight and more promised today:D Someone came in to cut the lawns, they have a better mower than us, so looks good.

Very little stuff has come back from hols, a few postcards of places we visited to be used as book marks in cookery and reference books, a couple of pencils (my weakness) and a small gift to be part of my bestie's birthday present soon. Off to garden centre today, need compost and small amount of bedding plants to fill a few gaps, must look out for open gardens coming up, often a great place to get :money: plants.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ooh nice hols maddiemay

Well I have had yet another poor night`s sleep and I know it is down to my silk duvet covers, yes I persisted but they will be on their way to cs. They slip and slide like no-bodys business and I got to be aware of every single turn in the night, very careful turns but duvet still ended up on the floor and one long side was wedged. Expensive mistake but don`t we all learn! Anyway through trial and error, cotton is best for warm nights and I have ordered one set of inexpensive long staple cotton, in a nice blue. I can cobble two white cotton sets together for the spare beds, so am happy to sit tight and wash and replace on the same day

So now I am very tired and just need to do quiet stuff, better read this morning in case I nod off later. I changed my bedding at 2 am this morning, had enough of silk
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been a busy bee this morning!
    Storing 5 rolls of wallpaper under a little unit made more sense than having them fall all over the place as soon as looked at them (a job for a long weekend when I am not already comitted to hedge cutting!).
    My tile cutting gadget is now in the loft.
    Lots of winter blankets, jumpers and scarves are now vac-packed and nestled on the stairhead.
    A mid-sized storage crate has been freed up and I think it will hold my art stash more efficiently than its current location.
    Mid-weight duvet in for a wash, light weight one on bed.
    Thorough vac done upstairs (worried about potential moth invasion :eek:).
    Outfit selected for Dad's memorial event next week.
    Packing list written, to include random items we are taking for re-homing with family :)
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) silvasava, I pretty much follow the same habits when choosing among freeglers but this case was Hobson's Choice as no one else asked for the thing.

Chance convo with a pal who works in a charity shop revealed that they can take this apart for the parts, some of which have a commercial value at a modest level. And that they'd be happy to come get it, if necessary.

I'll leave it for a week or so, then withdraw it from freegle.

:j I have been given one BNS plant, one pumpkin plant and one cuke plant and will be heading up to the lottie shortly to plant them, yayyy! A pal will (probably-tbc) meet me up there and we'll have a social visit. There is also going to be a summer solstice party next month on the plots.

Y'know, if I could afford a place with its own garden, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun as allotmenteering.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    4 tapestry kits released into CS bag. Finally faced up to reality - I won't ever make them up.
    Helped choose DH's outfit for Dad's memorial.
    3 bits of komono also into CS bag.
    A small cupboard better organised.
    Some paper and card recycled.

Hmm, multi purpose room looking better again, phew!

Still more to do but must get tea first :)

Oh, oh, and DH has agreed we can go to the charity furniture store to drop off 4 chairs, a small cupboard and a folding table next week. Just need to get him to add one of the bulky sunloungers to the pile :D (he is adamant about keeping one of them).
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh my goodness, I can never but never keep still, no matter how tired I am, when there is something obvious to be done. My vac packs order arrived and I have done so much, all the bedding, the throws, pillows, duvets and all my fabrics and all my lovely fibres and yarns and skeins.

Now I am well and truly cream crackered, even to the point of having my shower, washing my hair and being in my night clothes. I cannot have imagined how well all that stuff went away and how protected it all is now. My fabrics, enough for a lifetime, shrunk down into just 3 bags. Ok yes I have left some out for justin but only for hm knickers and a padded storage bag that I want for a spinning wheel, got to have something to occupy my time :D I even did a very big, heavy, soft rectangular designer sheepskin rug, I had taken the labels off before I realised that it would never look right in this house, so it was just sitting there, covering an ottoman and almost too big and heavy to manhandle often

So at times I did worry about packing all that stuff to move and yes I know that removers will pack but my fabrics are pretty special and at least now they are packed. The vac packs are brilliant, like sacs in an outer case with a zip and handles. Tomorrow I will be doing all the felting wools and odds and sods of fibres, won`t take me long and I am thinking that now all this stuff is safe from moths, even if it has to be stored in a garage :D and that could give me breathing space in a new home
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maddie, welcome back, it sounds great!

I was at a stately house type place today, and I so nearly bought some herbs for the garden, they weren't extortionate for once, but then I remembered my own holiday in a fortnight, and decided not to.

Even more weeds kondoed yesterday, and after that there was *lots* of rain, so I'll be digging up the roots now, thank heavens. A square yard at a time is expected ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've got two items out on Freegle at the moment. One has been picked up already, the other has been offered to the person who said why they'd like it, and said please - of course, they could be making it up but I'll always prefer someone with a genuine reason for wanting it. Other responses were 'I'd like it' and 'I'll take it' (oh no you won't!). I'm not always lucky, but someone who constructs a properly worded email with please and thank you is more likely to turn up, in my experience.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 May 2018 at 8:29AM
    Options
    I have finished and all clothing, spinning, knitting, felting and sewing fabrics are thoroughly protected as are all bedding, throws, wool rug, clothing and anything else I could think of made of natural fibre, including a massive wool curtain loosely packed in a downstairs ottoman.

I have used 15 of those brilliant vac bags and have 3 left, just enough for the actual bedding and spares from 4 beds when I move. I have many of the old style vac bags left, they are efficient but awkward to store. I am re-homing all the giant ones and keeping all the other roll up types. I unpacked new moth proofing sachets and hangers and my wool coat, jackets, jumpers and linens in wardrobes are all safe. My silk sheets and pillow cases are simply stored in tightly zipped bags

The reason I feel happy, extra happy is that I had various hangers and sachets in wardrobes and doors, the oad ones have been replaced this morning. This morning I found another wool moth :eek: on the en suite floor, dead or sleeping but dealt with. Yes the whole process cost me a considerable amount of money but to get it in perspective, only a very teeny fraction of what is now protected, eg some of my hm jumpers alone are worth a great deal of money just for the yarn

Today I did the felting wools and the forgotten sock yarns and 500g of clean alpaca ready-to -use fibre. My 2 lovely hm female fitted arans and all my other winter woollens, including hats, scarves and shawls, all of this went into 2 smallest bags and there was a lot of stuff. Another thing, my vacuum a sebo, behaved extremely well, it cut out a few times when there was no more air to suck out but was highly efficient

I have empty drawers, several of them and the whole of the bottom shelf in my wide hall sideboard is empty. I have many 9 litre `really useful` boxes, empty and ready to stack in the garage. I am making no decisions on those until after moving

All spare bedding is now only located in the bedroom to which they belong, not scattered all over the place and my airing cupboard only basically contains vac packed bags and a vac cleaner. Easy for me to do that, being on my own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure