PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I also use pr!mark ugh boots (lol) as slippers, been wearing mine today from two winters ago, they last well when just used indoors. I have hard flooring downstairs and find the proper sole it more insulating than regular slippers.

It's been very wet here in Yorkshire today, felt dull and chilly too. I made soup for lunch, with enough for tomorrow too. I've checked my little store cupboard and made a list of a few bits to keep in there.

DD (6) changed into her fleece onesie after splashing all the way home from school. I think DS would have too but he has a cast on his arm just now and long sleeves just won't go over it!

The kiddies beds have been made up with stretch jersey bottom sheets which are also quite cosy. They have teddy fleece mattress covers to go on when it turns really cold. I could do with something similar in my bed!

We've done a lot of Autumn tidying in the garden, we all have coats and wellies, so I think we are all set here. Love this time of year <3
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Today was the first day I've felt properly chilly in the house during the day. I got out a hot water bottle and used that while I needed to sit still and work. I've also got the second duvet on now--no quilt on top of that yet. I think together the two duvets are only about 9 tog..I think they're both around 4.5 each. I'll add the wool blanket if it gets chilly with these and then when it is really cold the wool blanket will go elsewhere and I'll add the patchwork quilt on top.
  • muffin_man_7
    Options
    I've just put my 2.5 tog quilt into the quilt cover as it's cooler now, all summer it's just been the quilt cover and sometimes a light throw.

Mrs L could I ask where u got the 2.5 tog quilt please I ve often found the 4.5 tog just a bit too warm and end up with layers of fleece throws that cezer likes to pinch a 2.5 tog qilt sounds like a good idea also be easier to get washed and dried

As for prepping I'm still in same house atm still on list to move when something suitable is available so I'm limited to what I can prep I've decided to keep prep to stores so no need to go out if weather bad and as I've just found out I've got arthritis in both knees and the cold and damp will make it worse , that's another reason to stay in when it's cold
    Im also making a list of all winter items I've got and will add to this as soon as funds allow the good thing about being at home a lot in winter I just wear whatever is warm and comfy don't have to worry about looking silly
    It's been raining all day I've stayed in and am testing out some of winter stash from last year
    As better than wasting it
    Will replace draughtproof strips around doors windows seem fine could maybe get some more candles will check the main list and see what else I've missed
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We had a new boiler fitted a few months ago and have only been using it to heat water. Now that it will be getting a bit colder we will be starting to use the radiators. However, I am not sure what settings to set the thermostat, hall radiator at (we have never had a room thermostat before).

The engineer fitted the wall thermostat in the hall and said to set it at about 21 deg and have the radiator a few feet away from it on the highest setting (6) as the thermostat would use that to maintain the temp set.

So, I did this tonight, to test the heating and set all of the other room radiators to 2 (just used the booster button on the boiler to run it for an hour).

All of the rooms and radiators were fine, a nice temp, radiators at a nice temp.

But, because the hall one is set to full, it is red hot. Is it correct that the radiator in the thermostat situated room should be set on max?

I have read that some people set all of their radiators to maximum and the room thermostat to 20ish and that keeps their radiators to a comfortable level.

Also, some say it is just as cheap to leave your heating on 24/7 if you leave it on low as opposed to a higher temp for shorter periods.

Thoughts from other members would be most welcome please, ta.

;)
  • Hi MUFFINMAN I got my 2.5 tog quilt in Ikea a couple of years ago, I was looking to get another one this year but they only had 4.5 tog or higher.
  • Thriftkitten
    Options
    Morning all, I love this time of year, and celebrate it with my annual 1st pot of Lamb stew and dumplings done in the pressure cooker.... I don't need to know what the date is, my body tells me when it's time.. We gained a new addition to the Thrifty family this year, a 1 Yr old Poodle (Molly), she is NOT a fan of the pressure cooker and was looking to my youngest for cuddles when it started hissing. As my kids have grown up with me using one they didn't bat an eyelid but Molly did a bunk up to the youngest's bedroom and hid :eek:
    Off to work in a mo but a nice hot coffee first before getting soaked as I'm walking.... Chilli con carne done for tonight.... Day 2 so tastes even nicer....:D Happy Autumn folks and here's to dancing in the crispy leaves...:T
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    SB44 - we have a wall thermostat in our hallway (I actually have it half way up the stairs) and the radiator in the room doesn't have a separate thermostat on it at all. Its usually the coldest room in the house except for the kitchen but there's no radiator out there so I use the tumble drier or the oven/slow cooker for heat. We have issues with black mould growing if the house gets too warm/damp so this is the set up we have on it at the minute.

5.30am 18c
    9.30am 16c
    Noon 18c
    1.30pm 16c
    3.30pm 18c
    10pm 16c

We get up at 6amish, and aim to be in bed by 10pm. I have a manual override setting which I rarely put higher than 21c and that's only when its very wet. If we're going to be in for longer periods of cold or wet then I'll notch up all the temperatures a little or put it on constant during the day. Weekends and during school holidays I might also put it on constant, but if it is I won't let it go over 18c until we're going for a shower or a bath then I whack it up to 21c as our bathroom can be quite cold. Once the Christmas tree goes up (around the 12th December this year due to work commitments) I switch one of the radiators off in the livingroom as the tree goes in front of it but these temps still manage to keep the house warm. We also have radiator controls on all the other radiators (2 bedrooms, 1 in the bathroom, 2 in the livingroom) and have them all set to high constantly during the day but might turn the bedroom ones down to about 2 overnight as we have very good loft insulation and we can end up waking up sweating swimming pools while downstairs will be noticeably cooler.

Speaking of animals not liking things. I lit our gas fire this morning to take the chill off the livingroom after all the rain and our dog was terrified! :( But judging by the smell (and I have a stinking cold!) it had a layer of dust and dog hair which have been burnt off. I did clean it out at the start of the month properly (paintbrush into the crevices and everything as the dog bed is normally right in front of it) so I dread to think how bad it would have been if I'd not done that. He's now laying on the sofa sulking, but the livingroom is a warm 21c :D
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • jim-jim
    Options
    SB44
    British gas have a video online/you tube about, how best to use thermostats and and radiators.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies folks, off to have a read/view now.

I had read a few things about how it works but didn't see what you should set the dial at on the radiator in the thermo based room.

;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure