The Times

Options

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From Wikipedia:

" In 1981, The Times and The Sunday Times were bought from Thomson by Rupert Murdoch's News International. "

It's a Rupert Murdoch paper. What else to expect from that avaricious, power-hungry oldphart, who would like to own all media and control the way we think?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    inholms wrote: »
    I don’t care about the first 3 months. I was trying to stop them taking the £26 a month after that.

So why don't you do what your contract requires and wait until 15 days before the initial term ends before cancelling?
    Untitled-1-copy.jpg
    You signed up to a contract in which you agreed to pay £1 per week for the first two months then £26 for the third and subsequent months with the terms of that contract clearly stating that the minimum term was 3 months and that to cancel you contact them 14 days before the 3rd month is up. As you only took out the trial 5 days ago, you have tried to cancel far too early.

Now you are getting all bent out of shape because you didn't read up on what you were agreeing to when you took out the trial.
    There is no need to read a 6 page contract. All of the required info was there to read prior to signing up.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So why don't you do what your contract requires and wait until 15 days before the initial term ends before cancelling?
    As is often the case, this thread becomes a "Warning" about the dangers of failing to read what is being signed up for...
  • inholms
    inholms Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yea, OK, don’t think there was a need for you to be quite so high and mighty. I just wanted make the point that this is a little draconian & heavy-handed for just a newspaper subscription. If it was for car purchase or something like that I could understand it.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Options
    inholms wrote: »
    Yea, OK, don’t think there was a need for you to be quite so high and mighty. I just wanted make the point that this is a little draconian & heavy-handed for just a newspaper subscription. If it was for car purchase or something like that I could understand it.

What's "high and mighty" about expecting someone to actually read up on what they are going to be agreeing to before actually agreeing to it? and what's heavy handed about a company expecting someone to honour a contract that they signed up to?

It makes no difference whether it's a purchase of a car or a newspaper subscription. A deal was offered and with that deal came conditions and obligations for both parties to that contract and now one party (you) wants to break that contract.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    Options
    As is often the case, this thread becomes a "Warning" about the dangers of failing to read what is being signed up for...

Wrong again.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That offer doesn't make sense. £1/week for the first 8 weeks then £26/month after 3 months. As 8 weeks is only 2 months does that mean issues 9-13 are free?

How can you sell a 3 month contract without stating what the cost would be for the 3rd month or the total cost for the full 3 months?
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    kangoora wrote: »
    That offer doesn't make sense. £1/week for the first 8 weeks then £26/month after 3 months. As 8 weeks is only 2 months does that mean issues 9-13 are free?

How can you sell a 3 month contract without stating what the cost would be for the 3rd month or the total cost for the full 3 months?

Spotted it too. I have to confess to having read the title and put on my sceptics hat assumimg it was OP error (apologies OP, you may know we get 10 a day titled "scam" etc. where the contract hasn't been read). In this case it would appear the failings are on the newspapers side.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    Options
    What's "high and mighty" about expecting someone to actually read up on what they are going to be agreeing to before actually agreeing to it? and what's heavy handed about a company expecting someone to honour a contract that they signed up to?

So how many pages of small print would you deem it acceptable to have to read for a fairly low value newspaper subscription?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So how many pages of small print would you deem it acceptable to have to read for a fairly low value newspaper subscription?
    Personally, I wouldn't "sign up" if they were giving it away free as that would mean they have my E-Mail address ! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure