The Times

Options
13»

Comments

• Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I had the same problem with The Telegraph.
    I called the 800 several times with no answer.
    I thought to hell with this, I logged onto my Barclaycard Acct, wrote them a letter regarding the problems I was having and asked that they stopped all payments.
    I then emailed the Telegraph about what I had done. Lo and behold I received 2 emails informing me that someone would be calling. This is after me calling a number of times and sending them 2 emails.
    Barclaycard replied they would stop the payments and if any payment went through, I would be reimbursed.
    I emailed The Telegraph of what transpired between myself and Barclaycard.
    I tried calling the next day and the phone was finally answered and I was able to cancel my subscription.
    They reimbursed my money and I am now well rid of them.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't "sign up" if they were giving it away free as that would mean they have my E-Mail address ! :)

As it takes about three minutes to set up a throwaway email address this seems a bit of a weird policy to have!
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most probably get your phone hacked soon too.
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't "sign up" if they were giving it away free as that would mean they have my E-Mail address ! :)

Which I'm sure is one of the reasons for such a promotion and this is why I have a selection of e-mail accounts from various providers, some of which are only used for stuff where I think spamming will originate from.
  • lowbrim
    lowbrim Posts: 489 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be fair to them I took out this offer and cancelled no problem when I rang them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    As it takes about three minutes to set up a throwaway email address this seems a bit of a weird policy to have!
    this is why I have a selection of e-mail accounts from various providers, some of which are only used for stuff where I think spamming will originate from.
    The main thrust of my post was that I wouldn't even sign up if they were giving it away free, but I accept that I could set up several different E-Mail addresses if I had a mind to :)
  • Moglex
    Moglex Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great post, George.

Just a couple of problems.
    The web page for the £1 for 8 week subscription is very clear about the minimum length of the contract:
    Untitled-1-copy.jpg

If you read what you have linked to carefully, you'll see that it is about as far from clear as it is possible to be.

It is absolutely unclear what the cost would be from week 9 to week 13.

In English law, where there is ambiguity in any clause in a contract it is always interpreted in favour of the party that did not draw up the contract.
    Shocked by the fact they they have honoured their part of the contract and expect you to do the same?

Actually, George, you seem to have slightly misunderstood what is going on here. The contract would be for the Times to supply what it purported it was going to supply for the length of the 'contract'. Since this is about something that happened far from the end of any contract period, there is no way that the Times have 'honoured the contract.

You seem to think that a binding contract has been formed on terms most favourable to the Times on the basis of a wholly ambiguous piece of text.
  • Moglex
    Options
    Another great post, George.

Again, though, a couple of problems.
    So why don't you do what your contract requires and wait until 15 days before the initial term ends before cancelling?
    Untitled-1-copy.jpg

You signed up to a contract in which you agreed to pay £1 per week for the first two months then £26 for the third and subsequent months

Except that he didn't. There was no indication of the cost of the third month.
    with the terms of that contract clearly stating that the minimum term was 3 months and that to cancel you contact them 14 days before the 3rd month is up. As you only took out the trial 5 days ago, you have tried to cancel far too early.

If you read what you've quoted it actually says 15 days.

It's also unclear how a contract could be formed when there is no agreed consideration for a part of that contract.
    Now you are getting all bent out of shape because you didn't read up on what you were agreeing to when you took out the trial.
    There is no need to read a 6 page contract. All of the required info was there to read prior to signing up.

Except that it wasn't.

Apart from the fact that there was no statement of the cost for month three, there is the further problem that the confirmatory screen you have quoted here states that the offer is for £8 for 8 weeks not £34 for 13 weeks.

I'm intrigued to know why you think that the Times are entitled to state different deals in different places, and then choose the clauses most favourable to themselves at a later date.

I'd also like to know why you believe that the Times is exempt from the normal distance selling regulations.
  • Moglex
    Options
    What's "high and mighty" about expecting someone to actually read up on what they are going to be agreeing to before actually agreeing to it? and what's heavy handed about a company expecting someone to honour a contract that they signed up to?
    Possibly because you have adopted a very authoritarian tone with the OP implying that he should have been more careful understanding the terms of the 'contract', when you yourself have demonstrably failed to fully understand them or the ambiguities therein?

Just a thought.

It makes no difference whether it's a purchase of a car or a newspaper subscription. A deal was offered and with that deal came conditions and obligations for both parties to that contract and now one party (you) wants to break that contract.

It might help if you clearly stated why yo believe that the Times is exempt from the distance selling regulations.
  • lassfarfromhome
    Options
    inholms I hope you have now been able to get through to the Times cancellation line to cancel your contract. I had to do this a while ago and was subjected to the sort of hard sell tactics. I was on the phone for about 10 minutes and kept saying "no, I just want to cancel" in answer to their incessant questions about whether yet more money off could persuade me not to cancel. The experience put me off the Times for like. Rupert Murdoch, nuff said...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure