Thomas Cook Ceases Trading - Compulsory Liquidation (EDIT MON 23/9)

Options

Comments

• bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just fill out thr ATOL form if and when. I think most of those employees will lose their job either way. Talk of turning Thomas Cook into an online only business. Something needs to change, they have far too many stores. I can see most if not all going
  • Mrs_L
    Mrs_L Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am really worried about this now, we are due to fly to Turkey on Monday evening, it is a package holiday so know we will be ATOL protected, but it would be upsetting to get cancelled whilst at the airport. I realise I can’t cancel and it is just a waiting game to see what happens. If this happens what would our options be?
  • bobblebob
    Options
    Mrs_L wrote: »
    I am really worried about this now, we are due to fly to Turkey on Monday evening, it is a package holiday so know we will be ATOL protected, but it would be upsetting to get cancelled whilst at the airport. I realise I can’t cancel and it is just a waiting game to see what happens. If this happens what would our options be?

Do you fly with Thomas Cook airlines?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 September 2019 at 10:47PM
    Options
    Wait, hold your horses. It has a licence from the CAA to the end of 30th September. The meeting today might have given us hope but no decisions were taken and I don't think anything will happen before next week. If and only if the business ceases to trade then packages involving TC Airlines will almost certainly be cancelled immediately but if you have scheduled tickets on other airlines, it is cheaper for the CAA ATOL scheme to allow you to travel and just pay for the hotel accommodation. All is not lost yet, so please do not panic, it could be better I will admit but it is not finished yet
  • shayne66
    Options
    Anyone offer me any advice (I have also emailed my local Thomas Cook who booked our holiday)
    Have a holiday to America, flying out late next month. Balance has been fully paid.
    Now, with all the stories etc decided to check the Atol Cert and noticed the cert number actually belongs to USAirtours.
    Now, upon looking at all the paperwork, we have most of its headed by USAirtours.
    Does this mean, that if the worst case scenario happens to Thomas Cook, that we should be okay holiday wise.

Flights are with Delta who received there payment a while ago as we wanted to select seats etc (we have 4 flights) so paid the holiday in full probably in may.
  • Mrs_L
    Mrs_L Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 September 2019 at 9:22PM
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Do you fly with Thomas Cook airlines?

Outward flight on Monday 23rd is Thomas Cook airlines at 5pm flight back on 5th Oct is operated by Smartlink on behalf of Thomas Cook .
    I’m hoping no decision is made until we’re on our holiday I’d rather loose or gain a day than not go at all.
  • bobblebob
    Options
    Should be fine going out, coming back who knows. But least you will have had a holiday before you have to worry about that
  • Alan_Bowen
    Options
    Shayne66, you appear to have a contract with USAirtours, a very good operator and although you may be asked for proof of payment to TC by the company, your holiday should be unaffected!
  • Ststina
    Options
    We have a flight only booked with TC through Opodo for February. We have just checked and it isn’t ATOL protected. We haven’t got insurance yet was gonna get it next month. What should we do we didn’t pay on a credit card (credit limited isn’t High enough.) so we get insurance now? What does it need to include to be protected against this. We thought it was scheduled airline failure but it says we are only covered AFTER our departure date. Anyone help? Please
  • worldtraveller
    Options
    Travel firm Thomas Cook has been hit with a last-minute demand to find £200m in extra funding in order to secure its future.

The troubled operator hoped to seal a rescue led by China's Fosun this week.

But Thomas Cook's banks are insisting the cash-strapped travel firm must come up with the new contingency funds, in case it needs extra finance to draw on during the winter months.

Without the rescue, the firm is likely to collapse.

That would leave 150,000 British holidaymakers stranded, and require the Civil Aviation Authority to repatriate them at an estimated cost of £600m, an industry insider said.

The firm employs 22,000 staff, 9,000 of those in the UK. It serves 19 million customers a year in 16 different countries.

BBC News
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure