A pound stretching maternity

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been so lazy today. Just done odd jobs around the house and a little more online Christmas shopping. I've tidied the kitchen and living room, sorted the laundry that had dried and tidied the airing cupboard. Ds and Dh went to the park and out for a walk whilst I did this.

The only money spent was the Christmas shopping, but that's budgeted for. I'm not too far off finishing and have ordered wrapping paper for ds (and ds2 - eeeek!). I have enough paper for everyone else, but I like to get something different for ds. I've also ordered a decoration for each to go into their Christmas Eve box.

Roast chicken dinner this evening, followed by the last of the crumble that ds and I made on Friday. I've made sure that my bag is ready for work tomorrow and have pulled bread out of the freezer for tomorrow's sandwich. It will save 5 minutes in the morning if I do it tonight. I'm not looking forward to that alarm going off tomorrow!

I haven't checked banking today. I find the Tesco credit card doesn't update over the weekend so it's a waste of time checking. Will update that tomorrow. I've had some cashback from the 2 purchases today so I'm just waiting for that all to go through. I've currently got over £30 in my topcashback account waiting to be approved.

The only plans for the rest of today are to make my sandwiches, see what's on to, open a bar of chocolate and read.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Monday morning........and I've already been awake an hour. I'm going to be soooo tired this evening!

I've checked the banking this morning already. Tesco credit card hasn't updated, but the bills have gone out. My monthly loan payment has also gone out. 13 payments out of 60 done now. Almost 1/4 of the way through.

I decided last night to cancel my laptop insurance. I'm paying £9.50 a month for it so figured it would be cheaper to make sure it's part of my home insurance when I next renew that. I will cancel it tonight, as I need paper work which Dh had taken to his parents. He's bringing it back tonight.

I made my sandwiches for lunch last night, so all I need to do this morning is throw a few things into a lunch box. There is usually a staff meeting on a Monday night, but as I'm only working 1 day a week at this school I'm hoping I won't need to go to it. Fingers crossed! Otherwise Monday's are going to be long days!

10 working mondays until my maternity leave starts!!
  • kerron7
    kerron7 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you have a great day today.

Well done on yet more Christmas shopping :). I may browse the net today for bargains!
    Emergency Fund - £50/£500
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I hope you found some bargains Kerron!

Day 1 back at work done, and I almost enjoyed it! I am so stiff and sore this evening though. I get the joy of playground duty on a Monday so don't stop all morning. I had a lovely days with the kids though.

After getting in (once all today's work had been marked - go me!!) I sorted a load of washing, had a general tidy up and made dinner. I made homemade slimming world type chips to go with the left over chicken from yesterday's dinner. Served with peas and pickles. Yum.

This evening I have cancelled my Mac insurance. It was costing £9.50 per month. If the laptop dies and is beyond repair (everything crossed it doesn't happen) then we'll have to get a cheap one to keep us going. Hopefully that won't happen, though. It's nice to reduce the monthly outgoings a little.

I've updated YNAB this evening and updated the cleared transactions from the Tesco credit card. I've also spent the evening trying to save a load of files from my memory stick which all of a sudden decided it needed to be formatted. Grrrrrr! Not there yet, but will keep working on it. Most of the work is backed up, but not everything. My own fault! Grrrrrrrrr!!

Tomorrow I'm taking ds out for the day as it's his last day before starting school. He's very excited! So am I!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Taking ds out for the day today so won't get much done in the house. Dh is taking the contents of our freezer to his parents to put in their freezer for the day so we can defrost our freezer, though.

Despite spending the day out, it shouldn't be too expensive. I've got a Tesco voucher to go towards entry price so that will only be a couple of pounds, and my mum has said she'll treat us to lunch.

Dinner will be pasta and sauce so that should be nice and easy after our day out. There's a little bit of chicken left in the fridge from Sunday as well as some bacon, so I'll pop some of that in the sauce as well as some veg, maybe broccoli and peas.

I've already checked YNAB this morning and the bank accounts. It all balances, which is good.

Right, we'd better start getting ready for our day out!
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hi MrsSave,

I've been reading your diary and I'm feeling inspired to start one of my own. I'm 31+5 weeks pregnant and will be finishing work on the 20th of September, yippee! This is my first baby, and I'm already starting to feel panicky at the thought of living on a reduced income once my MAT leave starts.

I'm waiting to hear back from HR, about what I'll be getting each month, then I want to sort out a budget of what's coming in/going out, and what can be spent where. I think I'll feel a lot better then. I submitted all my paperwork right after my 25 week midwife appointment, but have yet to hear a peep back from them almost 7 weeks later. I'm off work until Thursday as I have family visiting, but will be calling HR as soon as I'm back in work!

Wishing you and your family all the best, and have subscribed :)
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Eyebright wrote: »
    Hi MrsSave,

I've been reading your diary and I'm feeling inspired to start one of my own. I'm 31+5 weeks pregnant and will be finishing work on the 20th of September, yippee! This is my first baby, and I'm already starting to feel panicky at the thought of living on a reduced income once my MAT leave starts.

I'm waiting to hear back from HR, about what I'll be getting each month, then I want to sort out a budget of what's coming in/going out, and what can be spent where. I think I'll feel a lot better then. I submitted all my paperwork right after my 25 week midwife appointment, but have yet to hear a peep back from them almost 7 weeks later. I'm off work until Thursday as I have family visiting, but will be calling HR as soon as I'm back in work!

Wishing you and your family all the best, and have subscribed :)

Hi :wave:

I'll have a look for your diary. I find writing this keeps me more on track!

Not long to go until you start your maternity. Exciting!! Are you all ready? I'm not getting my matb1 form until next week so will have to wait until after that to find out what my entitlement is, though hr said they'd contact me around 4 weeks ago to discuss things.

Enjoy your few weeks before baby makes an appearance :j
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Today has been a lovely day. My mum paid for everything after the Tesco voucher so it has been a nsd. Ds really enjoyed and was shattered by bed time this evening. He asked to watch Peppa Pig in our bed as soon as we got home whilst I made dinner!

Our freezers have both been defrosted (yes we have 2!!) and refilled. There were a few parcels in the porch when we got home. All the Christmas presents I'd ordered over the weekend. They've all been written in my 'Christmas folder' (yes I have made one so all gifts are written down!).

Another chill out on the sofa this evening after being on my feet all day. Tv time and then a book.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I ended up working out last night (and at 4:30 this morning!!) how much money will be left over during November and December after all bills are paid. They'll be the worst months until I've finished 9 months of maternity pay because my contract has been cut to just 1 day a week. I'm looking for supply work to top it up a little, but it's too early in the school year for it yet. Fingers crossed I'll get a little.

So.......after all our bills, mortgage and loan are paid, and money has been put aside for things like ds' birthday and Christmas gifts, etc. We will be left with £270. This will be for food, petrol and any other spends. It's not much, but it's doable. I'm aiming for £20 per week petrol (an hour round trip to work once a week, and then only short, local trips), and the £160 for food for the month. £20 at the start of the month for the toiletries, which leaves £35 per week. As long as there are no extra top ups, it's doable. That then leaves £30 for any extras during the month. I'll have about £150-£200 per month more when I'm actually on maternity leave on the most basic pay!

Right, back to today. We're having a slow cooker meal tonight. Chinese beef with noodles. It's one of the dump meals I prepared. I'm definitely going to be making more of these dump meals, they're so easy once the prep work has been done.

I need to check the bank accounts and YNAB, as well as the Tesco credit card. I also need to look at car insurance at some point as it is due for renewal soon and I plan to go through topcashback to see what I can get back.

I'm going to dust and vacuum through today. Downstairs was done at the weekend so that should be quick, upstairs needs a bit more work though! I've got laundry to do as well today. It seems there's always laundry to do, though I'm sure that will increase once baby is here!

I need to finish sorting my meal plan for next week out, as I'm shopping tomorrow. It's nearly done, and then I can finish my shopping list. I'm aiming for today to be another NSD. 2 in a row. I think that's a record :rotfl:
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    MrsSave wrote: »
    Hi :wave:

I'll have a look for your diary. I find writing this keeps me more on track!

Not long to go until you start your maternity. Exciting!! Are you all ready? I'm not getting my matb1 form until next week so will have to wait until after that to find out what my entitlement is, though hr said they'd contact me around 4 weeks ago to discuss things.

Enjoy your few weeks before baby makes an appearance :j

I haven't started my diary yet, as I've been a bit swamped occupying my visiting family all this week, but I'm hoping to start it at the weekend. I will let you know once I have though :)

I'm ready-ish, but not really! I have a little notebook I bought in Home Bargains that has lists of everything I need, and I've got a lot of things, but not everything. Lovely friends and co-workers however, keep popping out of the woodwork with bits and bobs for me to have, so the gaps are slowly being filled. I think I have most of the baby essentials though.

I also haven't sorted out what I need for me or sorted out my hospital bag yet. These tasks will be my first priority for when I start my maternity leave. I keep prodding my tummy and feeling where she is lying and she's definitely transverse most of the time, so not head down yet, which gives me hope she won't make an early appearance before I'm ready for her :rotfl::rotfl:

Your post has also reminded me to try and sort out Christmas before she arrives as well!! I have some money saved up for Christmas presents etc, so if I can find out what people want then I can get cracking with that too!

Have a lovely day MrsS, I think my family want to go to the zoo today. Uggh lots of walking in store for me again today. My feet by the end of the day look like fat sausages lol :rotfl:
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business