Direct Line mistake ,Cancelled car insurance , I was unaware

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    A refund to a credit card results in a reduction to the balance owed, not a positive balance.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    A refund to a credit card results in a reduction to the balance owed, not a positive balance.

Not in this case because the OP has transferred the balance to another card. So when they get a refund they will have a positive balance on the card (assuming they haven't spent anything else on it).
    I paid in full on a CC when I bought the policy and transferred the balance to another CC to clear it over the 12 months
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately the car is on the road , and without driving it on the road I have no way of getting it off .

You could pay for it to be towed on a truck, but the easiest solution is to get it insured.
  • Quentin
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Not in this case because the OP has transferred the balance to another card. So when they get a refund they will have a positive balance on the card (assuming they haven't spent anything else on it).
    DL will have refunded to the card that they originally charged, not the new one the OP transferred to!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DL will have refunded to the card that they originally charged, not the new one the OP transferred to!

Yes, that's was the point that was being made. After the BT the card would have had a zero balance, if the OP had not subsequently used the card then the refund would have put the card into credit. Precisely as takman said.
  • Quentin
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Yes, that's was the point that was being made. After the BT the card would have had a zero balance, if the OP had not subsequently used the card then the refund would have put the card into credit. Precisely as takman said.
    It wasn't what he said at all!

But whatever, the refund onto the "old" card will now have to be repaid - (unless DL decide to give the OP a goodwill gesture and let him keep it!)
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

But whatever, the refund onto the "old" card will now have to be repaid - (unless DL decide to give the OP a goodwill gesture and let him keep it!)

That exactly what I said!.

I said:
    In regards to the credit card you paid on; if it has been refunded you should now have a positive balance on the card so when you need to pay back the money you won't be charged interest on this amount because you won't be in debt.

I made reference to "the credit card you paid on" which since it has been cleared by a balance transfer it should have a zero balance (providing no other spending). This means that when they refund that card it will have a positive balance.

In point (2) of the OP they were concerned that they would inccur interest if they had to make a new payment on the card. So I then went on to say that when they pay this amount back since the card will have a positive balance the payment will just take that amount and they won't have to pay interest because their will be no "debt".

It's all there in my original post!
  • Quentin
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    That exactly what I said!.

I said:

I made reference to "the credit card you paid on" which since it has been cleared by a balance transfer it should have a zero balance (providing no other spending). This means that when they refund that card it will have a positive balance.

In point (2) of the OP they were concerned that they would inccur interest if they had to make a new payment on the card. So I then went on to say that when they pay this amount back since the card will have a positive balance the payment will just take that amount and they won't have to pay interest because their will be no "debt".

It's all there in my original post!

Your OP doesn't have all this there at all!
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your OP doesn't have all this there at all!

In my original post I gave quick and simple advice in response to point (2) that the OP made. But obviously you misunderstood what I was saying so I have just explained the reason behind what I said so you could see what I meant!.

There was no point in me expanding about how the balance transfer will have cleared the balance on the original card etc because they will have already know that!.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Yes it is, post #13 says exactly that, if you are reading something different into it I'd advise a trip to Specsavers :cool:.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure