Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• Ktownshend
    Options
    Looking at getting contents and buildings insurance for a flat. Tesco are offering 35% off and have quoted £504 for the lot. This almost seems too good to b e true, Other insurance companies either wouldn't insure us because it's a flat or were charging around £900. Anyone else with Tesco, or seen this deal. Is it too good to be true or is it a genuine good offer?
  • evosy1978
    Options
    hello

i know this is a long shot.

could i apply for contents insurance as a seperate thing and then apply for buildings insurance but with the same company. and do both through quidco. hehe.

ta
  • leavold
    leavold Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Beware when switching buildings insurance!

After seeing their promotion on this board I switched my buildings insurance to the Post Office in October 2006.
    In November 2006 my local council identified a problem with a broken waste pipe I share communally with my neighbours. They repaired it in January 2007 and I have just received a bil for over £1000.
    I contacted the Post Office to discuss my claim and they passed me on to some random firm of underwriters called MMA in Cardiff.
    MMA have told me that as the waste pipe may have been broken before I switched my insurance to the Post Office I may have to contact my previous insurer to claim (as if they are really going to be interested).
    I now have to submit all the paperwork I have from my council before they will make a decision.
    Does anyone know if this is legal?
    I'll certainly be raising this with the Post Office Executive and the Financial Ombudsman should the Post Office turn down my claim.
  • Spad_2
    Spad_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    My Home Insurance expires on 25/2 with Barclays. If I dont renew it with them, and instead take out a new policy with Barclays through Quidco does anybody see a problem in doing this.? Its the same cost on the renewal and the new quote £133.00.
    I would of course get the £125 cashback.
    Thanks
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spad wrote:
    My Home Insurance expires on 25/2 with Barclays. If I dont renew it with them, and instead take out a new policy with Barclays through Quidco does anybody see a problem in doing this.? Its the same cost on the renewal and the new quote £133.00.
    I would of course get the £125 cashback.
    Thanks
    Yes you can - I have just done this myself. I have separate Buildings and Contents - last year with different insurers, this year I am thinking of moving both to Barclays. Buying B&C together from the same insurer on the same policy generally works out cheaper as they offer a slight discount (buying online with Barclays you can keep changing the options and recalculating ;)), however, I found that although splitting this costs slightly more (having both with Barclays), the Quidco cashback of £125 x 2 should make it cheaper overall (assuming this works!). Barclays appear more expensive than the other insurers but taking into account the cashback, it should work out about £100 cheaper for me overall (and £200 cheaper than my two renewal quotes). The other benefit of taking out a new policy is their website allows you to pay monthly at no additional cost, yet the renewal is more expensive and you have to pay £1 per month admin fee if you pay monthly.

Someone mentioned a while ago that they also then managed to get Barclays to pay up on the price match without affecting their cashback (by taking out the policy and phoning once all the documentation was through) but I don't know how reliable that would be (and don't think you can get the price promise if you have used previously).

Anon
  • bengalcat
    Options
    I had just received my renewal quote for home buildings and contents insurance and thought I would look up Martin's advice. Using the links provided I obtained quotes from Confused.com and found I could get similar insurance for just over half the £570 I had been quoted by my existing company. Using this information I telephoned my insurers, gave them the quotes from Confused.com and they promptly lowered the quote to £290!! For a few minutes work and thanks to Martin's tips I saved myself £280.
  • T99_2
    Options
    A curious tale!

Just received my renaewal quotation from Chuchill for Buildings and Contents cover @ £433. Last year I was a 'new' customer and obtained the cover for £303 (via internet). However last year I switched to Churchill beacuse Direct Line, my previous insurer, quoted me £466 to renew as against £317 when I was a 'new' customer the previous year.

Now guess what - today's cheapest quote from an hours work is Direct Line at £280 as a 'new' customer.

Curious or what?
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Does anybody think the Lloyds TSB cover is adequate.

I'm looking at Barclays or TSB on Quidco and both come up with very similar quotes ( less than £10 diff), but Barclays seem to have more options - eg emergency cover, full accidental damage.

As hopefully getting cover lot cheaper by using quidco wondering whether to get the extra options.

Update - ignore me, I've just found the extra options on the TSB screens. You have to go onto the next screen after the initial quote.
  • darky
    darky Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    MMA are one of the firms that underwrite the Post Office insurance cover - they are not random. They are also quite entitled to ask whether damage occurred before the policy commenced with them.

Taking your claim to the ombudsman would be fruitless - it needs to go to your old insurer. If you don't understand what you are buying why continue switching insurers every year. Leave it to thoise who know what they are doing and go to abroker
  • simmonds
    Options
    think about us poor people that are stuck paying our buildings insurance through our leasehold.
    i live in a 2 bedroom masionette, our buildings insurance yearly bill is extortionate! each household has to pay around 450 a year. we have just recieved this years bill for 476.00. on our street there are 46 maisonettes paying this sum. someones winning somewhere!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure