We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Clearing an neglected garden

Options

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I took over a full sized allotment plot that had been neglected for years but like your land had some stuff worth saving. I did an hours worth of digging every day and soon started to see the change. If your knees are up to it then it's by far the best way to approach it.
    Pants
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks both.

Knees are shot and back wouldn't enjoy it either. I'd rather have it done and cleared.

At least I'm on the right track in getting it somewhat back to being a useful space rather than just a neglected corner of a field. I've decided to get it sprayed (apart from the top corner) and then cleared, levelled and then I'll do some more thinking. It the labour intensive part I wasn't sure off.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 July 2017 at 5:28PM
    Options
  • Gers
    Options
    Gardener chappie came round last night to have a look, he's going to strim and the spray and spray again if needed before I get the other bloke with the digger to turn and level.

I've got access to well rotted horse manure to have dug in though I expect the soil to on the good side.

Exciting gardening times!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your soil might be OK, but the existence of so much soft rush in the field suggests poor drainage.

You may need to bear that in mind when selecting plants.
  • Gers
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Your soil might be OK, but the existence of so much soft rush in the field suggests poor drainage.

You may need to bear that in mind when selecting plants.

The whole area has terrible drainage, so well spotted. It's just a little above sea level and is on the edge of an ancient salt / moss. The sea estuary is very close as is the local river which runs into the sea. When we have a very high tide and tons of rain things get very soggy.

The sea is visible in the first photo I posted.

My plan A is for raised beds and (perhaps) pots for a small amount of flowers. All the lovely stuff at the top right will be kept, hopefully once the rambling brambles have been cut back they should thrive.

I'll still get manure dug in just to give the soil a lift.

Thanks.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 July 2017 at 8:31AM
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    The whole area has terrible drainage, so well spotted. It's just a little above sea level and is on the edge of an ancient salt / moss. The sea estuary is very close as is the local river which runs into the sea. When we have a very high tide and tons of rain things get very soggy.

The sea is visible in the first photo I posted.

My plan A is for raised beds and (perhaps) pots for a small amount of flowers. All the lovely stuff at the top right will be kept, hopefully once the rambling brambles have been cut back they should thrive.

I'll still get manure dug in just to give the soil a lift.

Thanks.

Yes, Argyll averages something like 156 days with rain and around 1000mm rainfall a year. The latter mainly on any day I pass through! There is a good reason the fort was on top of the hill!

Your earlier suggestion of a poly tunnel would make sense.
  • Gers
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    Yes, Argyll averages something like 156 days with rain and around 1000mm rainfall a year. The latter mainly on any day I pass through! There is a good reason the fort was on top of the hill!

Your earlier suggestion of a poly tunnel would make sense.

Ah,you know the area!
  • Gers
    Options
    The work has started!

Strimmed_1.jpg Strimmed_2.jpg Strimmed_3.jpg
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Great progress. It looks stunning, with that backdrop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure