Washing machine recommendations

Options
Milerix
Milerix Posts: 25 Forumite
Hello, we are buying a house and will need to buy a washing machine. I'm not even sure where to start. What are the things to consider and where should I start looking?

Edited to add:
I'd like to buy something that I won't need to replace in 3 years... Usage light to medium, it's just me and my husband, so probably doing 3-4 loads a week. I'd like it to have a high spin rate - my current machine does 1600 which is great for subsequent air drying. Good energy rating.

Comments

• couriervanman
    Options
    Buy cheap and nasty......buy twice
    But you don't need all singing all dancing lots of flashing lights/gizmos
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Milerix wrote: »
    Hello, we are buying a house and will need to buy a washing machine. I'm not even sure where to start. What are the things to consider and where should I start looking?
    Get a trial subscription to Which magazine and read some reviews would be a good start, also look out for deals coming up via hotukdeals.com, and don't forget Black Friday is just around the corner.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I bought an LG machine 14 years ago - it cost me £600 then and it's still going strong.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It depends to a large extent on the type of usage it's going to get. If your situation means you'll be doing one or two washes a week, there is an argument to say the most cheap 'n' cheerful machine you can find would be adequate. If you've got several kids and dogs, all with very muddy paws, and will be doing a lot more washes every week, it's probably sensible to shell out a bit extra on a "better" machine.

In terms of what's a "good" make, the short answer is "who knows?". Miele is generally well-regarded, but very expensive. Most of the other well-known brands you'll hear mixed reports about. There was a thread on here a few weeks ago asking a similar question. I remember it particularly because someone said they had a Bosch and it was a pile of rubbish. My Bosch has had 15 years of the aformentioned menagerie of muddy dogs and kids to deal with and has never missed a beat. You'll get loads of different views and experiences.

Perhaps the one bit of advice I would give - whatever make you end up with, try and go for the simplest one you can. My machine has got about 20 different settings on it, I doubt if I've ever used more than 2 or maybe 3 different programs in all the time we've had it.
  • Milerix
    Milerix Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all. I did a search before posting but all I found was a dishwasher thread.

I'd like to buy something that I won't need to replace in 3 years... Usage light to medium, it's just me and my husband, so probably doing 3-4 loads a week. I'd like it to have a high spin rate - my current machine does 1600 which is great for subsequent air drying. Good energy rating.

Any particular features you love or hate?
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I opted for a 1 1/2 load machine as we had two kids.

Saved money which was good.

Worst feature is the filters which seem to get filled with junk if you don't empty your pockets first.

The amount of lego I've recovered from the machine over the years!
  • owen_money
    Options
    Dave46049 wrote: »
    I bought an LG machine 14 years ago - it cost me £600 then and it's still going strong.

+1 for LG, 9 years still working fine, 3-4 loads a week. It was a bit more expensive than other brands but has outlasted other machines I've bought at least 2 times
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    LG here too. I like the 60 min./ 60 degree wash for towels etc and 30 min quick wash for lightly soiled items. Quiet operation and plays a tune when the cycle ends!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • couriervanman
    Options
    Basic Bosch model has served us for 12 years and still going strong being used 5 or 6 days a week
  • scottishblondie
    Options
    I've got a Bosch which must be at least 8 years old now and still in perfect working order. I'd definitely buy Bosch again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure