PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• medsdemon
    Options
    Well, first day of the new month and I'm declaring it to be a NSD. And NSD tomorrow as no shops open :j. Too much spending lately and we want to do alot of lovely things in 2012 so will be saving money for that instead ( well that's the plan!!).

Batch cooking today I think as have peace and quiet and a much looked forward to day at home so am going to be all homely and get in that kitchen. Plans are- batch of gnocchi, sausage and bean pie, batch of SC lentil soup, batch of soup to use up veggies and maybe a batch of icecream or sorbet after last nights disaster. Then out in evening to face the weather at the street party.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend:D.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds delicious medsdemon! Is SC sweetcorn? If so, how do you make it?

Batch cooked yesterday, mainly with cheap cod (£2.50 a lb plus 1lb free) from local fishmonger, fish pies in freezer, and meat from 2 whoopsied chickens from the C*-op. Chicken stock reducing on the hob as I write. A good start, wish I had a bigger freezer!

Shops round here are open NYD, so not a guaranteed NSD :-(. Girding my loins to start the challenge proper tomorrow... deep breath...
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    Carolinerunner, SC = slow cooker as in lentil soup done in the slow cooker.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 December 2011 at 11:27AM
    Options
    flying_fresian, I've added your recipe to the index; I've listed it as Chicken in Garlic and Mushroom Sauce but if you want it labelled differently pls let me know :beer:

tracey
    , I've listed your Carrot and lentil soup too :beer:

Welcome to all our newbies and welcome back to our returners - great to see you back Cheryl, NickJW and JillD. Apologies if I've missed anyone.

I won't be back until tomorrow so have a great evening whatever you're doing and here's to a Happy and Healthy 2012 for us all ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • wishfullthinking
    Options
    Declaring this weekend NSD's got people coming tonite but have lots of party food left in freezer and eggs to use. Going to bake:eek: I feel sorry for the guests. Need to get my head round portion sizing dish out same amount of food to all in family dogs dont mind this as they get remainder but know i'm being wastfull. Lowering the budget for Jan to £300 FOR MONTH starting today as I bought far too much food in December going to try living out of freezer and cupboards. Im just starting out but what a convert got two friends to come on board as I kept raving on about the site last night.

The forum's are my new addiction much cheaper than shopping:j

Also can anyone advise about the bread making machines I use a loaf a day would it work out cheaper average £1 per loaf.
  • WillgetOrganised
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a while but I have been keeping up and have also been (trying!) sticking to my budget. I haven't achieved perfect results but I know I've spent a lot less than if I wasn't on here!! So my thanks to all of you :-)

Please can you put me down for £350 for January. I am hoping to come in a lot less but it would be nice to feel successful rather than fail (IYKWIM). My aim is to reduce for next month.... I shall also try and be a little better at posting and updating my signature!

Hope 2012 is a happy, healthy and frugal year for all of us!

X
    GROCERY CHALLENGE
    January £214.42/£300.00 :D
    February £268.37/£325.00

DMP - Too high to admit in public :o
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Rosieben - the name makes it sound a lot fancier than it was, I just threw stuff in a pan and it turned out to be tasty :rotfl::rotfl:
  • skilly
    skilly Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all, please can I be put down for January monthly budget of £200 please ,5 weeks( I am not going to do a annual budget this year ) happy new year all :-)
    sealed pot challenge number 31 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 16 £802.00/ 17 £? gold star from sue 🌟
  • prophecy_grrl
    Options
    Hi all - happy almost new year (not sure when I'll be posting nextso better early than late!)

It's a 5 week month for me, and as I have plenty of stock in and very little money I'm trying for £25 p/w this month. I'm going to meal plan the whole month today, and reckon £25 p/w for fruit, veg, milk and a little meat will be do-able.

Please could I be put down for £125 for January

Thanks, and thanks to those who run and contribute to this fab thread :beer:

P_Grrl x
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • Ninno820
    Options
    Morning all - just reporting an unexpected spend. My parents are coming to stay for a couple of days and will be fed from the storecupboard / freezer. Unfortnately they drink a lot of fresh milk ( I use long life skimmed milk) so I have had to pop out for a couple of 4 pinters! Just over £15 left until 23rd January - looking forward to a large number of NSD's!!!
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business