Migraine-free wannabe

Options

Comments

• Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 May 2018 at 7:01PM
    Options
    I take Maxalt Melts for my migraines, but I also have a very strange but cheap and works for me 'medication' when I have an attack.... an Aldi Belgian Bun! One of these eaten with a cup of tea can stop a migraine developing too far, or I cut one up and nibble on it through the day when I have a migraine but no longer feel nauseous.

I found that for me, a really sugary drink (like the old lucozade) and a bag of ready salted crisps can often stave off a migraine if I catch it early enough. I know that my triggers include dehydration and getting too hungry, so it makes sense that something like that could work for me. Ginger biscuits are also good for the nausea, if you're able to eat during an attack, or nibbling on a bit of crystallised ginger.

I also found that mine are linked to my hormones - I used to get them very, very frequently and very, very badly when I was in my teens but I've found that since going on the progesterone-only pill their frequency has decreased dramatically. Obviously that's not ideal for everyone but it's something that's working for me at the moment. I have to say that as I'm getting 'older' they do seem to be getting more frequent again, and I have heard that menopause can cause migraine issues to flare up. That is something that worries me so I'm always looking for new ways to deal with them. I used to swear by Syndol tablets as they would relax you enough to sleep off the worst of it, but sadly they've now been reformulated and they're nowhere near as good.
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Syndol and ibuprofen are both on the forbidden list for me.

I will research Valerian. That's a new one for me. Have tried other supplements and herbs like feverfew and vitamin b2 and magnesium.
  • vodkachick68
    vodkachick68 Posts: 758 Forumite
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    I found that for me, a really sugary drink (like the old lucozade) and a bag of ready salted crisps can often stave off a migraine if I catch it early enough. I know that my triggers include dehydration and getting too hungry, so it makes sense that something like that could work for me. Ginger biscuits are also good for the nausea, if you're able to eat during an attack, ornibbling on a bit of crystallised ginger.

I also found that mine are linked to my hormones - I used to get them very, very frequently and very, very badly when I was in my teens but I've found that since going on the progesterone-only pill their frequency has decreased dramatically. Obviously that's not ideal for everyone but it's something that's working for me at the moment. I have to say that as I'm getting 'older' they do seem to be getting more frequent again, and I have heard that menopause can cause migraine issues to flare up. That is something that worries me so I'm always looking for new ways to deal with them. I used to swear by Syndol tablets as they would relax you enough to sleep off the worst of it, but sadly they've now been reformulated and they're nowhere near as good.
    I'm currently going through menopause and my migraines are awful. I get them at least once a month maybe more and I find they are lasting for 2 or 3 days:eek: I think mine are caused by insomnia(another menopause symptom) and my blood sugar level being low. I have a banana by my bed and find if I wake in the night I chomp on that which doesn't get rid of it but eases it but I always have to take my zolmatriptan to help it ease. I also take paracetamol extra strength along side but as these have caffeine in I struggle to then sleep. Ibuprofen doesn't even touch my migraines.

I'm at the end of my tether as its starting to affect my work as I cannot keep taking time off. I don't think employers understand the severity of how migraines can make you feel,it's debilitating and is a genuine illness. I'm off to the docs yet again to see if there are any other preventative medication I can take.
  • elliesmemory1
    elliesmemory1 Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hebs on the hill headache balm can help. Also found that Coca-Cola and a bag of crisps can help.
  • JennyP
    Options
    I'm currently going through menopause and my migraines are awful. I get them at least once a month maybe more and I find they are lasting for 2 or 3 days:eek: I think mine are caused by insomnia(another menopause symptom) and my blood sugar level being low. I have a banana by my bed and find if I wake in the night I chomp on that which doesn't get rid of it but eases it but I always have to take my zolmatriptan to help it ease. I also take paracetamol extra strength along side but as these have caffeine in I struggle to then sleep. Ibuprofen doesn't even touch my migraines.

I'm at the end of my tether as its starting to affect my work as I cannot keep taking time off. I don't think employers understand the severity of how migraines can make you feel,it's debilitating and is a genuine illness. I'm off to the docs yet again to see if there are any other preventative medication I can take.

That sounds terrible. The employer thing is something I can really relate to. An old boss, sitting in front of a bright computer screen, once said to me, "I've got one of your migraines!" I said, "No, you've got a headache. If you had a migraine, you wouldn't be looking at a screen. You'd be in a dark to, in agony, vomiting your guts up!"

In.my last job, my boss had a very disapproving tone if I rang in sick with a migraine. It somehow added to the pressure. I gave up work at Christmas. Partly cos my husband retired. But partly cos it was so stressful getting migraines then having to call in sick and I am sure the stress made the migraines more frequent.

Could you have something like a bowl of porridge at bedtime to try and keep your blood sugar more stable in the night?

I have no headache this morning. I tried drinking a glass of water in the middle of the night and it seems to have helped.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »
    Triptans mentioned several times in earlier posts. Maxalt is rizatriptan.

I am off them due to side effects. Though we have a few in.

There are others, might be worth trying a few varieties if that one works for you other than the side effects.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    I have the same trouble. When I first feel the niggle I have to get Ibruprofen in me, otherwise I end up vomiting and crawling into bed for hours. One thing I found good is Valerian (the Romans used this for migraines), found in herbal sleeping aids, apparently it opens the veins in the brain that cause the migraine. I have a family history of high blood pressure, but mine is textbook 123/74, so I wonder if my migraines are triggered when my blood pressure is raised.

My GP prescribed me Sumatriptan, which are miracle pills as far as I am concerned. But I ration their use to when a migraine threatens to paralyse me as you only get 6 pills per prescription, which I pay for.

Speak to your GP, they can prescribe more if needed, I get 6 now but when I was having a really bad spate of frequent attacks they gave me more in one go. Look into whether its worth getting a prepay prescription card as well, it works out just over a tenner a month so if you get at least two prescriptions every month, or even just more than 12 in a year, its worth it.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm currently going through menopause and my migraines are awful.
    This amy be a stupid question, but is HRT a possible option?
    Interested as I'm nearly 50 and as I believe my monthly migraines are hormone related I'm expecting them to go a bit haywire when I get to the menopause.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One thing I found good is Valerian (the Romans used this for migraines), found in herbal sleeping aids, apparently it opens the veins in the brain that cause the migraine. I have a family history of high blood pressure, but mine is textbook 123/74, so I wonder if my migraines are triggered when my blood pressure is raised.

That's interesting - I've taken valerian for sleep problems but I've never tried it for a migraine, but it makes sense as it helps you to relax and I'm guessing it'd do the same as the muscle relaxant stuff in Syndol. The only problem I have with valerian is the smell of it - I don't think it'd be too easy to manage if you're feeling queasy already! My cat's one of the ones that has no interest in catnip but loves valerian so she gets a bag of it fairly regularly, but it certainly has an 'interesting' pong!
  • JennyP
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    This amy be a stupid question, but is HRT a possible option?
    Interested as I'm nearly 50 and as I believe my monthly migraines are hormone related I'm expecting them to go a bit haywire when I get to the menopause.

Snap. About to turn 49.

I don't fancy hrt. I did buy a cookbook of natural alternatives to hrt but it was a chore.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback