MSE News: Halifax to repay £500m to 300,000 mortgage holders

Options

Comments

• bell
    bell Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shame it is going back onto the mortgage account, I was looking forward to the windfall.

I took my mortgage out just before the 16 Sept 2007 cut off point and then reverted to the SVR in Sept 2009. My mortgage was for £100,000 (as near as dammit) and I calculated a 1% differnce in payments as £53 a month. I suspect I am inline for £1,007 coming off my outstanding balance of £93,000.

What affect will this also have on future payments. I will now have less money to pay over the remaining term. I presume the monthly payment will adjust slightly to reflect this.
    Total Value of wins in 2009: £900 appox. 2010: £730
    Wins 2011: Carlisle Utd Tickets (twice!), Baby Food Hamper, Straighteners, Chugginton Toy
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Isn't this only for people who sorted out their mortgages through the Bank of Scotland?
  • Mandark
    Mandark Posts: 181 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2011 at 3:44PM
    Options
    senza7 wrote: »
    Hi
    Can anybody tell me does this effect me?? I took a 5 year fixed mortgage april 2006 and on my terms says it will revert to SVR 2% when terms ends april 2011? Does this mean i will be paying 3.5%??
    angie:-)
    I think you are included based on the official wording below. :)Edit: No I think you are not now. You're still on fixed term. I miss out as I had my offer in April 2008 and reverted to SVR in April 2010.
    1. Does this affect me?
    If you took your Halifax mortgage out with us following receipt of an offer between 20th September 2004 and 16th September 2007, you will have received a mortgage offer which had a summary of the cap.
    If you remained on the same mortgage conditions on 1st January 2009, you are affected and will be sent a letter during April. The content of that letter will depend on your individual circumstances.
    http://www.halifax.co.uk/mortgages/help-and-advice/existing-customers/Halifax-Standard-Variable-Rate-announcement/
    Prof planning and public rights of way person. Studies all things tech!
  • debtfree2016
    Options
    at last some financial justice.... shame its not going in the pocket...
    Never make assumptions always ask questions>>>>>;)
  • beecher2
    Options
    Mandark wrote: »
    I think you are included based on the official wording below. :) I miss out as I had my offer in April 2008.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/mortgages/help-and-advice/existing-customers/Halifax-Standard-Variable-Rate-announcement/

I don't think so because of this
    3. How will you decide who gets a goodwill payment?
    Payment will be made to customers that received a Halifax mortgage offer between 20th September 2004 and 16th September 2007, and have been paying SVR at any point since 1st January 2009.
  • Mandark
    Mandark Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Oops agree Beecher. Will edit.
    Prof planning and public rights of way person. Studies all things tech!
  • PDCE
    Options
    Does anyone know if you have a Halifax tracker taken out in July 2004 that reverted to SVR in July 2006, is this covered and compensation owed?
  • beecher2
    Options
    PDCE wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have a Halifax tracker taken out in July 2004 that reverted to SVR in July 2006, is this covered and compensation owed?

Not from what they say on their website - your deal was a few months too early.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Halifax-pay-500m-customers-tele-4193241733.html?x=0

implies they think some people where told that SVR calculation was changing , others not told.
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • curlygirl1971
    Options
    bell wrote: »
    Shame it is going back onto the mortgage account, I was looking forward to the windfall.

I took my mortgage out just before the 16 Sept 2007 cut off point and then reverted to the SVR in Sept 2009. My mortgage was for £100,000 (as near as dammit) and I calculated a 1% differnce in payments as £53 a month. I suspect I am inline for £1,007 coming off my outstanding balance of £93,000.

If I'm eligible and if they pay back the 1% difference then I calculate it to be around £375 in total. So hardly a windfall for me :rotfl:but even so - a payment of £375 would reduce my mortgage term by a month. So wouldn't complain! Pretty sure I am eligible but am going to try and forget about it so I don't get my hopes up ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure