Sky package advice

Options
Hi, just want some advice on what I am currently paying for sky. I have a basic sky+ box and my package is as follows: variety package £35.50; line rental £18.99; sky talk anytime £10; 1571 £2: sky fibre max £22. Total monthly cost £88.49. We don’t have sport channels (wouldn’t want them)or movie channels (would maybe like them as we have 2 small children). Ive been with sky for about 20 years but I’m sure I’m paying over the odds, what I really want is to cut my bill without losing what I currently have, my question is could I get more for less, eg movie channels and a sky Q box for less than £88 per month?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well you can move to the Sky Entertainment (£25 a month), and Kids channels is £5 on top so that'll save you £5.50 a month if nothing else.

If you're happy to commit to Sky for another 18 months or so you can usually get a much better deal on the TV side of things. Sounds like you're out of contract, thats where things get expensive.

You can always split things up, you can get internet and line rental cheaper elsewhere (at the moment Plusnet are doing an up to 66Mb package with line rental for £28 a month 12 month contract).

Sky have a lot of muscle power (that they may or may not use) when it comes to retention, so easiest solution is just to phone up and say "I want to leave I can get this that and the other from <somewhere else> for <this price> but I'd rather stay with you, what can you do for me?" You don't have to agree there and then, just say "can I have the reference number I need to discuss it with the wife/husband/dog first".
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have essentially the same package as you but with sky kids and mine is £62 a month which I feel is extortionate, we are fortunately just about to come out of contract so I will be shopping around the best I can (unfortunately the rural area we are in limits us to providers) give haggling a go, you have nothing to lose
  • jamesp31
    jamesp31 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both, I’ll call them tomorrow and see what they offer me
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jamesp31 wrote: »
    Hi, just want some advice on what I am currently paying for sky. I have a basic sky+ box and my package is as follows: variety package £35.50; line rental £18.99; sky talk anytime £10; 1571 £2: sky fibre max £22. Total monthly cost £88.49. We don’t have sport channels (wouldn’t want them)or movie channels (would maybe like them as we have 2 small children). Ive been with sky for about 20 years but I’m sure I’m paying over the odds, what I really want is to cut my bill without losing what I currently have, my question is could I get more for less, eg movie channels and a sky Q box for less than £88 per month?

https://www.thesettlersonline.com/en/doi/1756814udZ3iDYTfMBNbaoDUZpJFje3Wtj19j3SR
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5310751&page=94

Sky Variety is a legacy package and they're trying to move everybody on to the base Entertainment package with add-ons of your choice.

You should aim for (as a minimum)

Entertainment - £17
    HD - £1
    Kids - £1
    Boxsets (if needed) - £1
    Cinema - £11

Fibre/LR/Anytime calls - £25 or £30 from NowTV (owned by Sky)

If you do want Boxsets then they're currently doing a deal for the Ultimate on Demand add-on which is Boxsets and a Netflix standard plan for just £3 a month for 18 months. All add-ons are 31 days notice so you can add or remove at need (the full price for Kids/HD/Boxsets is £5 though so you'd lose any discount agreed at the start.)

You should be paying a maximum of £55 to £66 for what you're looking for.

A 1TB Sky Q box (needed if you want the Netflix deal) should be attainable for a one off £20 and they'll insist on a £10 'Admin Fee' although I've always refused to pay it.
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    I was paying Sky £32/month for line rental and unlimited broadband ( fibre not available yet ) , I saw a Talk talk advert for same package for £20 , rang up Sky and they offered it to me for £18/month straightaway , no haggling .
    So line rental and broadband for less than I had been paying for line rental.
    I couldn't haggle on my TV package because I had recently changed that and am still
    'in contract' .
  • DanielBlackwood
    Options
    If you're still looking to get Sky, I can provide you with a code that gets you 40% off. Let me know :)
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And closing as existing haggling thread existing
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing