Should Shops Be Shut Boxing Day?

Options

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The shops have been opening on Boxing Day for years won't start closing now.

Boxing Day is a normal day in Scotland.

A friend runs a garage Euro Spar and their busy day is actually Christmas Day. They make a fortune and Maxal and Spar insist they open.
  • HornetSaver
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Wheres a nurse or paramedic going to get their coffee or dinner from?

Coffee? Anywhere.

Dinner? Ever heard of leftovers?
  • Cetshwayo
    Options
    Depends where you are in the country, the sales start on Boxing Day in Scotland. But then we much prefer a couple of days off at New Year.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Yeah it's not like these are services we need or anything, you can go without shopping for some new boots for a day or two but you can live without the nurses and paramedics.

But you can manage without hospitality staff can't you? Why do people need to go out for a meal on Boxing Day, why do people need to go to the theatre, go for a drink? Do you watch TV on Boxing Day, do you actually need to watch it, can't you amuse yourself for a day without TV.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Coffee? Anywhere.

Dinner? Ever heard of leftovers?

Ever heard of free will?
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    But you can manage without hospitality staff can't you? Why do people need to go out for a meal on Boxing Day, why do people need to go to the theatre, go for a drink? Do you watch TV on Boxing Day, do you actually need to watch it, can't you amuse yourself for a day without TV.
    They don't.
    No
    Yes :D
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd like shops to close on Boxing Day to give their staff some family time. If you need something on Boxing day, you can either plan in advance and buy it on 24th, or wait another day and buy it on the 27th. Problem comes when some shops open and others don't: Customers will go buy from whoever's open. If all shops were closed, we'd all just wait.

I think it's reasonable for small convenience stores and pharmacies to open, though.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Wheres a nurse or paramedic going to get their coffee or dinner from?

I believe it is possible to make coffee and lunch yourself.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    Alikay wrote: »
    I'd like shops to close on Boxing Day to give their staff some family time. If you need something on Boxing day, you can either plan in advance and buy it on 24th, or wait another day and buy it on the 27th. Problem comes when some shops open and others don't: Customers will go buy from whoever's open. If all shops were closed, we'd all just wait.

I think it's reasonable for small convenience stores and pharmacies to open, though.

So people want to?

We dont need to celebrate christmas but we do need to shut on boxing day because people want to celebrate Christmas? Is that what youre saying?
  • spadoosh
    Options
    I believe it is possible to make coffee and lunch yourself.

Its also possible to buy it from shops that are open on boxing day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure