Should Shops Be Shut Boxing Day?

Options

Comments

• Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Please explain how me going to see family is a burden on others?

I'm not forcing anything, just saying I think it would be a good idea. You're making that whole scenario up lol it's not going to happen. Who wouldn't want an extra day off? If they want to go shopping on Boxing day then I'm sure it's for something that they want that day, why would they shop online for something they would like that day and wait 2-3 days for it to arrive? Makes no sense to me.

Stop being salty because I think it's a good idea that a shop is closed over the Christmas period, the world is not going to collapse because people can't buy tat for a day. Where did I say anything about football? This is about retail. It should be up to the individual store, but if it was me I wouldn't put anyone on a rota, I would ask for volunteers if needs be.
    This ^^^^ I don't think there should be laws about it, but I do think all the staff should be volunteers. With no comebacks if they don't volunteer. That way everyone is happy, and if no one volunteers then the shop stays shut.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    At my workplace.... The offices are closed for the Christmas Week and employees are given 2 or 3 days extra leave (paid and not taken out of the allowance). The way it falls this year, 24th, 27th, 28th are the bonus days and we are obliged to take 31st as annual leave. Some people are arguing that they should be allowed to work 31st if they want to - especially those who are home based and don't care if the office is open or not.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Marisco wrote: »
    This ^^^^ I don't think there should be laws about it, but I do think all the staff should be volunteers. With no comebacks if they don't volunteer. That way everyone is happy, and if no one volunteers then the shop stays shut.

That would be ideal imo (: I know some people hate working it, some don't. My boyfriend has opted to work NYE and NYD as we don't go out for it and he knows other people want to, it's a win win, someone else doesn't have to work and he gets extra money :j I don't think people should be forced to work christmas eve/boxing day, it would be easier for those who have to travel for christmas as well!
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think all shops should be open 24/7 365 or not be allowed to exist.

That is I think there should be no restrictions on shops and they should open when they are able to get staff and want to.

If people do not want to work on certain days they should get it written into their contract.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If all shops were closed on Boxing Day, from where would people get new batteries to replace the ones that the kids have already worn out in their new toys?
    ;)
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What I said "it's nice that they're shut boxing day"

What you read "I think that literally no one should work christmas and boxing day regardless of profession.

Last year I had one less day at Christmas, but I got it back at Easter. :) I'm not an employee there but if the shop is shut there's not much they can do about it holiday wise. My christmas break has come out of my holiday entitlement, I'll live

Its not at all.

Im questioning the validity of your argument.

Your argument became weakened when you mentioned 'theres no need to shop or be open' (words to that effect) and that is when i started quoting you directly. That argument doesnt work when the reason for closing is also not a need.

Nothing to do with what i think here. When you sort out the oxymoron that is 'shops need to close so people can do something they dont need to do' then you can offer validity to that argument. If not just stick to 'its nice that B&M shut on boxing day'

Im sure everyone who's working in retail on boxing day will live, so it seems no harm no foul?
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That would be ideal imo (: I know some people hate working it, some don't. My boyfriend has opted to work NYE and NYD as we don't go out for it and he knows other people want to, it's a win win, someone else doesn't have to work and he gets extra money :j I don't think people should be forced to work christmas eve/boxing day, it would be easier for those who have to travel for christmas as well!
    Well this is it. Some genuinely don't mind and that is fair enough. Personally I couldn't care less if they are open or closed I never go shopping on BD, but surely it's preferable to have a shop full of happy staff that are there because they want to be there, than a load of resentful staff who are only there because they have to be?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes

The reason why people can’t cope without shops being open as they don’t plan ahead. They just buy things for that evening’s meal plus the odd thing bought weekly, monthly etc such as magazine, jam etc.

I once worked a Boxing Day and there were customers coming up to me to say it’s a disgrace that we are open today. Erm !!!!!! are doing in here then if you are against Boxing Day opening?
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Marisco wrote: »
    Well this is it. Some genuinely don't mind and that is fair enough. Personally I couldn't care less if they are open or closed I never go shopping on BD, but surely it's preferable to have a shop full of happy staff that are there because they want to be there, than a load of resentful staff who are only there because they have to be?

100%. I suppose if they get extra pay it would be an incentive too (: and most do Sunday hours (where I am anyway). Knowing most staff won't have a choice is annoying ):

I've only been the once when I went with my mum and sister about 8 years ago. Dad dropped us off and we got the bus back, £12 for 3 of us for a 1 way ticket :eek:
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Yes

The reason why people can’t cope without shops being open as they don’t plan ahead. They just buy things for that evening’s meal plus the odd thing bought weekly, monthly etc such as magazine, jam etc.

I once worked a Boxing Day and there were customers coming up to me to say it’s a disgrace that we are open today. Erm !!!!!! are doing in here then if you are against Boxing Day opening?

:think: haha "I hate that you're open boxing day but here I am filling the demand" :rotfl:

Thankfully I've always worked in manufacturing where we are shut for over a week :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure