PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well... it's kind of very roughly like this:

3j1f0-8wy4co

And what I'd like to do is to liven up the green linen, which could otherwise be a bit drab and military, but emphasising the feminine touches in the little jacket, and have whatever shape I do the decorative cuffs echoed in the edging-strips for the pockets on the skirt, etc.
    The contrast is planned to go in a range of places: probably as piping round the edge of the cuffs and pocket-strips, maybe also across the yoke of the jacket, part of the lining where it will most show, maybe to bind the hem of the skirt on the inside where it will be glimpsed, etc. There's an attractive thing I've seen where on the front yoke of a jacket or blouse you have strips running up and down on top of the fabric, using different fabric on the back, with each strip twisted once, so it's a really lovely way to add contrast without being overpowering, might try that...

I don't want to limit how I can wear the green linen (I have a gorgeous blue jacket lined in blue-and-pink which rules out a surprising quantity of other clothes!), but I wondered about pale yellow, deep gold, those kinds of colours, maybe touches of cornflower blue... spring flowers, really, primroses and forget-me-nots against green leaves.

It should look a bit 1930s, skirt mid-calf and gored, pockets set with slits; little army-style jacket made feminine with puffed sleeves pulled into box-pleats with cuffs, and with wider lapels, maybe decorated...

This is the twisted strap thing, tutorial here http://shockinghocking.blogspot.com/2012/01/twisted-tutorial.html
    P1310037.JPG
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »

Hmmm.... As far as I'm concerned, "jeggings" are leggings made to look like jeans so you should use the same coupon cost as leggings. Skinny/stretch jeans are a different matter, but the quality of the fabric is a give-away; stretch jeans still feel like they are made from denim.

Thank you - that puts me up to a total of 24 coupons used so far this year.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 May 2019 at 6:46PM
    Options
    Well... it's kind of very roughly like this:

3j1f0-8wy4co

And what I'd like to do is to liven up the green linen, which could otherwise be a bit drab and military, but emphasising the feminine touches in the little jacket, and have whatever shape I do the decorative cuffs echoed in the edging-strips for the pockets on the skirt, etc.
    The contrast is planned to go in a range of places: probably as piping round the edge of the cuffs and pocket-strips, maybe also across the yoke of the jacket, part of the lining where it will most show, maybe to bind the hem of the skirt on the inside where it will be glimpsed, etc. There's an attractive thing I've seen where on the front yoke of a jacket or blouse you have strips running up and down on top of the fabric, using different fabric on the back, with each strip twisted once, so it's a really lovely way to add contrast without being overpowering, might try that...

I don't want to limit how I can wear the green linen (I have a gorgeous blue jacket lined in blue-and-pink which rules out a surprising quantity of other clothes!), but I wondered about pale yellow, deep gold, those kinds of colours, maybe touches of cornflower blue... spring flowers, really, primroses and forget-me-nots against green leaves.

It should look a bit 1930s, skirt mid-calf and gored, pockets set with slits; little army-style jacket made feminine with puffed sleeves pulled into box-pleats with cuffs, and with wider lapels, maybe decorated...

This is the twisted strap thing, tutorial here http://shockinghocking.blogspot.com/2012/01/twisted-tutorial.html
    P1310037.JPG

I can visualise the shape, but I’m struggling with the trim. (I love your drawing.)

As you say, you don’t want to limit how you can wear the skirt and jacket. The only contrast I can visualise is in either black or navy blue on the collar and on the flaps of the skirt pockets. The thought occurs to me, though, how about for the jacket, having a contrasting pocket handkerchief, pinned in to the breast pocket, in an accent colour? You could swap the hanky depending on what blouse you’re wearing.

HTH,

Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Pip, it's changed a bit - no fabric trim now, because it turns out the fabric has gone a bit patchy in washing out the excess dye, and now has pale crease-lines all over it, argh... the lovely friend would be upset if he knew, so now I have to find a way of making something that won't show the marks...!

So I'm going to nick that 1920s idea of panels and patches of coloured large-ish embroidery around the place, and hope that distracts the eye enough! :)

It's one of the difficult things about being me, not being able to describe what is in my mind's eye - which can often mean I make incomplete plans and run into problems that need worked round halfway through... on the other hand, one of the better things about being me is innovative designs, so it balances out :)

(Guess who is not neurotypical; not sure I'd ever mentioned it... quite severely autistic, albeit exceptionally high-functioning so mostly it doesn't show)

(Edit: but the contrast I had been thinking of was multi-coloured small print, maybe a tiny spriggy floral, definitely not navy or black!)
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PipneyJane
    edited 17 May 2019 at 8:51AM
    Options
    Pip, it's changed a bit - no fabric trim now, because it turns out the fabric has gone a bit patchy in washing out the excess dye, and now has pale crease-lines all over it, argh... the lovely friend would be upset if he knew, so now I have to find a way of making something that won't show the marks...!

How about overdying it with the closest matching shade of Dylon that you can find? Linen should take dye well.
    So I'm going to nick that 1920s idea of panels and patches of coloured large-ish embroidery around the place, and hope that distracts the eye enough! :)

It's one of the difficult things about being me, not being able to describe what is in my mind's eye - which can often mean I make incomplete plans and run into problems that need worked round halfway through... on the other hand, one of the better things about being me is innovative designs, so it balances out :)

(Guess who is not neurotypical; not sure I'd ever mentioned it... quite severely autistic, albeit exceptionally high-functioning so mostly it doesn't show)

(Edit: but the contrast I had been thinking of was multi-coloured small print, maybe a tiny spriggy floral, definitely not navy or black!)

I'd never have guessed that you are autistic. Smart, kind, empathetic, a touch obsessive at times, talented at sewing and knitting... These are the labels I would give you. You navigate the strange world of the "average human" very well.

- Pip

EDTA: Back on the first topic, what does the linen look like once ironed? Linen is the longest plant fibre used for fabric. The thought occurs to me that those pale lines have appeared where it's been bent, possibly partially breaking the fibres. Ironed smooth, they may disappear.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Thankyou for the kind words! x I'm never quite sure, and can sometimes put my foot in it badly...

Sadly, linen is notorious for *not* taking most dyes at all well... in fact, the extensive bleeding of this fabric's excess dye suggests to me that it's had a dye intended for cotton (much cheaper than linen-type dyes), and the horrible crease-lines with the rubbing away of fibres tells me it hasn't got the long fibres that linen should have.
    Cheap really is cheap! It's almost certainly been processed in cotton-mills because that's cheaper - so they take cheap, low-quality linen fibres, chop them short like cotton and meld them into a thread by sheer brute mechanical force, and weave it into a fabric with none of the strength of linen; then they've used a cheap dye, but bucketloads of it.

The good news is that it should still function like linen in terms of thermoregulation - it will stay cool in hot weather. So I'll go ahead and make the skirt and jacket, and my generous friend will be pleased (already looking forward to the in-progress photos!), and if it doesn't last then at least I'll have learnt a lot in the making, and I can consider it a toile/muslin, ie trying out the new pattern. If it works well in terms of fit and comfort and appearance, then I can always consider buying some really good linen!

Basically, if linen is only £4.50 a metre, there's a reason...!!!

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Ooh, wearing one of those two new vest-tops from Asda today and it feels so different from the flimsy Primark ones I kept buying more of! I can readily imagine this better-quality fabric really lasting...

That's a lesson to me - don't waste my coupons on multiple flimsy garments, if there's a well-made one available in a similar price-range and colours!
    Honestly - it's like that old advice about not going food-shopping when hungry... don't go clothes-shopping when in need of self-esteem or cheering up! :)

• PipneyJane
    Options
    Errr...... How do I explain this? I’ve done it. I’ve blown the lot and then some. The sheep made me do it!

(There really was a sheep. It was a Blue-faced Leicester and I saw it being sheared, then got to handle its fleece.)

We went to Wool@J13 for the weekend, in the small Staffordshire village of Penkridge. When I bought the tickets last October, I had no idea that I’d blow through my 2019 Coupons so quickly. I just thought, “It’s a knitting event that’s 2-ish hours away and doable as a day trip. If Chelsea make it into the FA Cup Final, I can just do the Sunday...There’s bound to be a few vendors I’ve never seen before, who could sell interesting stuff. I may even get to play on a spinning wheel...”. Ahem.

Anyway, once Chelsea were knocked out of the FA Cup, my DH suggested we make a weekend of it. (We’re season ticket holders, so would have gone to Wembley.). His role is pretty clear: driver (so I can knit on the journey); conscience (“Do you really want that?”); bag carrier; colour tester (we have the same colouring, so I hold stuff up to his face to see how it suits); and - more rarely - enabler (like the time he talked me into buying a sweater’s worth of cashmere at £10 a ball, because it came as a kit with a pattern I fancied).

My personal resolution was to only buy something if it was truly special and, if it was that special, to buy enough to make a jumper. And there were some pretty special yarns at Wool@J13: lots of hand-dyed; several rare breeds; some even being sold by the people who raised the sheep...

The first yarn to seduce me was a grey Poldale Sock Yarn, which was hiding in the sale bin of one of the stands. I don’t know which stand - I’m working away this week and can’t check the bag - but the stallholder’s boyfriend did hold up the sign for me to take a photo of it together with the yarn..

8240000D-100B-424A-8E40-0F16B400D79D_medium2.jpeg

At £6/skein, I bought all four skeins lurking in the sale bin. (8 Coupons spent.)

The second yarn to seduce me, is Hawkshaw Sheep’s “Clotted Cream 4-ply”, a blend of 90% Cheviot yarn and 10% Alpaca. I’d heard Sue, the owner, interviewed on Knit British sometime last year, so was delighted to meet her at the show. Cheviot sheep are raised primarily for meat, but a couple of years ago Sue started wondering what could be done with the fleece from her flock. She was told, “Cheviot yarn is too coarse...”, handled some lambs’ wool and disagreed. The rest is history. Four more skeins ended up in my bag.

1053385282.jpg

The above was meant to be black, but after two trips through the dye pot, the darkest Sue could manage was this shade of French Navy. Black is, apparently, quite a difficult shade to achieve. (We actually chatted for quite a while.)

Anyway, in little over 3 hours, I managed to spend 16 coupons, when I only had 6 left for the rest of 2019. I’m going to keep tracking, but I reckon I’ll be lucky if I get out of 2019 with less than 100 coupons spent.

- Pip (76 coupons spent, so -10)

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Hmmm.

I know in the war, any yarn bought in a shop would need coupons, but I genuinely wonder if it was always the case when buying direct from the small-supplier?

More to the point, the reason we're all doing this is several-fold: to reduce the amount of unnecessary clothing we all buy each year.... to reduce the amount of textile waste from shoddy rubbishy clothing ending up chucked because it's worn out in a few weeks... to reduce the thoughtlessness of buying whatever we want when we want...

Now... I wonder whether we should draw a distinction between buying commercially-produced yarn in a shop because it's pretty (ahem, oops, blush), and buying yarn that is hand-spun, hand-dyed, produced by small producers who are selling it themselves...

Isn't part of what we're doing here trying to PROMOTE the idea of buying top-quality, and including buying from the makers/ spinners/ dyers/ farmers themselves?

It's the difference between buying a slab of orange rubber "Cheddar" from Asda or buying a small piece of really good cheese direct from the dairy, made on that farm with milk from their own and neighbouring cows, using recipes and methods that are traditional to the area, isn't it?

So maybe half or even quarter - or none??? - of the coupon-cost for "ethical" yarn-buying?

Also, I am drooling over my keyboard at that blue. It is gorgeous and I am deeply in love with it... she's right re black - hence why historically only the wealthy wore black robes, ie clergy, lawyers, doctors, the 'professions', as a sign of status... there was a colour known as "poor black" which was a faded rusty ex-black from the end of the dye pot - but I'm told that getting black historically, pre-aniline, involved overdyeing again and again with all kinds of colours, layering it up until you got black...

• PipneyJane
    Options
    Hmmm.

I know in the war, any yarn bought in a shop would need coupons, but I genuinely wonder if it was always the case when buying direct from the small-supplier?

More to the point, the reason we're all doing this is several-fold: to reduce the amount of unnecessary clothing we all buy each year.... to reduce the amount of textile waste from shoddy rubbishy clothing ending up chucked because it's worn out in a few weeks... to reduce the thoughtlessness of buying whatever we want when we want...

Now... I wonder whether we should draw a distinction between buying commercially-produced yarn in a shop because it's pretty (ahem, oops, blush), and buying yarn that is hand-spun, hand-dyed, produced by small producers who are selling it themselves...

Isn't part of what we're doing here trying to PROMOTE the idea of buying top-quality, and including buying from the makers/ spinners/ dyers/ farmers themselves?

It's the difference between buying a slab of orange rubber "Cheddar" from Asda or buying a small piece of really good cheese direct from the dairy, made on that farm with milk from their own and neighbouring cows, using recipes and methods that are traditional to the area, isn't it?

So maybe half or even quarter - or none??? - of the coupon-cost for "ethical" yarn-buying?

You are right, Laura, but I'm too close to this right now to judge. One thought I had (mentioned earlier in this thread), is that maybe we should have Fashion On The Ration awards at the end of the year:

Platinum - spent 44 coupons or less in the year (the lower level from later in the War)
    Gold - spent between 45 and 66 coupons inclusive
    Silver - spent between 67 and 80 coupons
    Bronze - spent between 81 and 100 coupons
    Iron - "I counted coupons! Honest!" :rotfl:

I am hoping to stick within Silver.
    Also, I am drooling over my keyboard at that blue. It is gorgeous and I am deeply in love with it... she's right re black - hence why historically only the wealthy wore black robes, ie clergy, lawyers, doctors, the 'professions', as a sign of status... there was a colour known as "poor black" which was a faded rusty ex-black from the end of the dye pot - but I'm told that getting black historically, pre-aniline, involved overdyeing again and again with all kinds of colours, layering it up until you got black...

It is drool-worthy. I think I'm drawn to that colour blue - it's similar to the Touch Merino, Possum & Silk blend I bought in New Zealand. I'm thinking that I might knit a twin-set out of them, depending how they look together. (Got home last night and was far too knackered to do anything except sit on the couch and go "Wibble". I've picked up a cold from somewhere and had a right fit of the miseries last night.)

- Pip

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure