PPI and gladstone Brookes

Options

Comments

• lornao1
    lornao1 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May 2019 at 3:05PM
    Options
    Thank you very much for your reply. They are saying that the decision of the complaint made is

'Barclaycard made a mistake and has written to GB as your authorised CMC to advise that they have rectified the situation.
    Barclaycard has confirmed that the offer was made to you is a result of GB's approach and the information provided on your behalf by GB.
    I am therefore satisfied that the fee charge has been requested correctly and in line with your agreement with GB"

The case is now going to higher management for the final decision.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. Now go to the FOS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Take it to FOS... although from recent experience I am not sure they have that much of an appetite for these types of cases (expect nothing and you won’t be disappointed) - worse case scenario is that they agree you out, however GB will be out of pocket due to the case fee imposed by FOS so win/win really
  • swanny65
    swanny65 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi - stumbled upon this thread......

My wife has also had a similar review from Barclaycard, although her case was slightly different. We have paid GB all their fees, as i had their initial paperwork and felt we were liable. Below is a summary of my wifes case:

3 years ago we used GB to reclaim PPI on various cards held but my wife that i paid off when we got together in 2000. Barclaycard initially said they knew she had an account but couldn't trace the details of the PPI paid. Barclaycard refunded approx £2500 which i am sure was on the basis of average policy duration and the average premium paid. GB recommended we accepted the refund and we paid their commission.

Fast forward to this April 2019 and out of the blue we got a congratulations email from GB and a couple of hours later my wife received a cheque for £3500 from Barclaycard. The letter from Barclaycard explained they had traced all her accounts and the payment was the additional PPI refund due.

A request for GB fee's followed which we paid as the initial request for fees said if the case was reopened we would be liable to pay further fees to GB.

Where we correct to pay the second fee to GB? Where GB correct to request the second fee.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I recommend you complain to the Financial Ombudsman that you were presented with a bill fully three years after your initial complaint.

Claims Management Companies are now fully regulated.

The fact that you've already paid weakens your position, but you should still complain.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Where we correct to pay the second fee to GB? Where GB correct to request the second fee.
    no and no

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/342291/Claims-management-regulation-business-bulletin-Aug-2014.pdf

Quote:
    If a CMC
    fails to identify during the claims process that an
    offer made to their client is incorrect or otherwise
    inappropriate – and to advise the client of this –
    then it is likely that the CMC will have failed to
    comply with this obligation and therefore be in
    breach of contract.

Some concluded PPI cases have been reviewed by
    financial institutions and in some cases additional
    redress has been awarded to customers. In such
    cases it may be inappropriate for CMCs to
    automatically charge their clients further fees in
    respect of such additional awards.

The general position is that the agreement between
    the CMC and the client will have concluded at the
    point at which the client received redress and the
    CMC issuing the corresponding invoice.

If a CMC seeks further fees from clients where the
    contract has concluded, this may be in breach of
    General Rule 1 which requires you to conduct your
    business with honesty and integrity. It may also be
    considered an act of fraud by false representation
    (Section 2, Fraud Act 2006).

So Gladstone Brookes have done what the Ministry of Justice said may be considered an act of fraud.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • swanny65
    Options
    Thanks very much - we will write to GB first and request a refund of the fees paid based around the point they made a mis-representation.

I did seriously think about not paying the fee but the GB initial settlement letter appeared clear, that they could have a second bite if two refunds were made.

I didn’t even think to look here first.

Thanks very much
  • lornao1
    lornao1 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just received a Final Decision Letter from GB stating that because of the "Passage of time" they are going to waive their fee.

I would like to thank everyone for their help.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    That is one result. Lets hope for others.
  • swanny65
    edited 18 May 2019 at 1:32PM
    Options
    lornao1 wrote: »
    I have just received a Final Decision Letter from GB stating that because of the "Passage of time" they are going to waive their fee.

I would like to thank everyone for their help.

Well done. I am emailing GB my request for a refund today. Fingers crossed.

The letter GB sent with the second refund states "If your bank revisits your offer in future and increases your redress. we will be entitled to our fees on the additional amount." Not even may be entitled, will be entitled.

I have asked GB to explain:

• The reason why the second invoice was issued.
    • The reason why GB did not comply with the guidance issued in the Claims Management Regulations Business Bulletin No.23 (August 2014).
    • The details of the additional work undertaken to secure the additional redress from Barclaycard, the reason(s) why I was not asked to sign a second contract and the reason(s) why I was not periodically updated during the 33 months between June 2016 and March 2019.
    • Whether the person(s) who issued the second invoice and email has committed a criminal offence under section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006.
    • The reason why Gladstone Brookes failed to identify and advise me during the initial claim settlement process that the offer made to me from Barclaycard was incorrect or inappropriate.

May be a bit OTT but it covers the points in the Claims Management Regulations Business Bulletin No.23. (Thanks Dunstonh)

Keep you posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport