PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2020 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    +

I didn't know you can put money on a clubcard, how does that work and if I put (say) £0 on, can I use that on one of the deals where you get £30-worth of goods for £10?
    It only works for the Christmas saver, you get a bonus if you top up your clubcard. I'm going to use the top up and bonus during December to reduce my spends and use the vouchers I've earnt through normal shopping for days out.
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Budgets updated to here

Mrs Cheshire another one who is sounding very organised and off to a fab start! Same question - anything exciting on the meal plan? I love seeing what people have to eat and I think others do too - we can all get ideas from each other!

This week the menu has included
    Breaded chicken steaks, sweet potato fries ( at my parents, quick tea before heading home)
    cottage pie (base and extra veg from the freezer, already had potatoes in)
    pesto chicken pasta (all from stores, using open jar of pesto from fridge)
    lamb leg, new poatoes, veg (from freezer/stocks cooked all and frozen half the lamb for another day)
    sweet & sour chicken & rice ( from stocks except 1 can of pineapple chunks)
    sausages & mash (from freezer/stores)
    pulled pork, sweet potato fries/chips, onion rings and corn (all from freezer.

Next week we're having
    Pasta bake with sausages (loads of cocktail sausages in freezer, so will chop into chunks)
    fish and new potatoes (freezer/stores)
    chicken curry and rice (freezer/stores)
    steak, sweet potato fries, pesto mushrooms (hubby's birthday, so making his favourite meal)
    fri/sat- we're away so will be eating meals out, mum will use food in freezers to feed kids/herself
    sun - roast beef, yorkshire's (need to use up some flour/eggs) (roast beef is from the freezer as I bought a large joint before christmas, cooked and froze into smaller portions)

I've got the ingredients to make a banoffee pie for a dessert next week.

Need to think of some interesting meals using pork loin steaks and diced beef as I've got some in the freezer to use. Any ideas??
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hubby spent £1.35 on a tin of pineapple and a bottle of cream soda yesterday and £2.70 on a meal deal for himself at work. Today should be a no spend day, unless hubby buys lunch again. (think I need to give him a seperate budget for lunches as it's eating into my grocery budget if he has them too often.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    €3.22 spent today

Needed weetabix and bread for my girl. Unfortunately I can only buy branded weetabix as they don’t sell supermarket knock offs over here. My daughter loves them so I buy them for her and I might have them occasionally too.

€292.71 left

€12.19 spent today

Hubby needed more breakfast cakes as we ran out. I got veg to make a butternut squash soup as my girl seems to enjoy soup in the evenings, plus the bread for that. I also got half price Christmas chocolate, it’s my favourite and only available those short few months before Christmas so I got 4 bars to keep me going :-) also minced beef was on offer so I got 2 packets as we use beef quite a bit. I decided this month to only buy meat/fish either on special offer or reduced. If it works I’ll carry it on into February.

Kings day here on Monday so everywhere is closed. Hubby is getting the water tomorrow as it’s too much for me to carry on my own.

€280.52 left
    :money::rotfl::T
  • Jacs205
    Jacs205 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've spent £31 today but that was to get all the things I needed to make my two week meal plan work out along with stuff for hubby and I going back to work on Monday and a couple of cleaning things. Should only need to top up bread this week (until my breadmaker hubby ordered me from the AO sale gets here, my late Christmas present). Took £200 cash out so £169 left. So much brilliant advice from people, thank you especially for the top of the thread sticky, I'm going to re-read that every week until I get the hang of this!
    Tight, Scottish Vegan :) saving for a camper van to retire to
    May grocery challenge £600/207.57 left
    2020 1p savings challenge £91.97
  • Purplebonnie
    Purplebonnie Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2020 at 6:01PM
    Options
    Just a small spend today of £2.70, I was trying for a NSD. I needed some mustard powder for a spice mix that I am making up, when I opened the tin it smelled funny and when I looked it had actually gone out of date in 2005! I went and got some more and some free from Pesto, but note to self – make sure I use the mustard powder and don’t buy anymore jars of English mustard.
    This hunting around in the pantry first before shopping certainly pays off. I was coming to the end of my homemade vanilla extract and thought I would have to buy some ingredients. However I found half a dozen vanilla pods and a half bottle of vodka. Pods into bottle and now to wait six months. When the old bottle is completely empty I will also add those pods to the new bottle. This is a very cheap way of making a good, strong flavoured vanilla extract for baking etc.
    There are some fabulous tips here people, thank you.
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Emergency Fund Goal - £1000/£106.89
    Living Fund 1 Year - £2520/£640
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
    Regular Saving Fund £4800/£400
  • Bingbunny
    Bingbunny Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Little shop today come in at £26.

Total now. £53.42/£250
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £6 spent today, not on food but on a car wash and this is the budget it comes out of so here it is
  • bett_rhy
    bett_rhy Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First shop of the year done :T

£59.86/£240

Pretty pleased so far as i ran out of a lot of household products all at once :eek:

hoping i'll be able to cut my budget a bit more next month (and plan better :rotfl: )

xxx
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A very frugal week as I have spent under £16 so far (for a family of 3), so I am feeling very pleased with myself! Good job as the dd has just reminded me that I need to give her money for a concert ticket.

I will be popping out for a loaf of bread and some apples shortly - trying to time it right for yellow stickers!

Dinner will be pasta with homemade veggie sauce for ds (made in the slow cooker with a 10p yellow sticker bag of casserole veg and some tinned toms). Dd and I are having chilli, made with the veggie sauce as the base with beans and spices added. I've also frozen some for next week!
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Farmfoods today for milk and cat litter etc and I'm on £182.41/£200 budget. I had it split as £50 a week this month as we had loads left in from Xmas. I have 32.41 left from this weeks budget but I'm sending DH to Aldi tomorrow with a list ....:o I hope he sticks to the list!:rotfl:
    Living the simple life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport