PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Victory Cookbook by Marguerite Patten

Options
(Ooh, I hope I don't get modded for this one - but it's so Old Style it's surprising it isn't rationed and printed on old butter wrappers! ;))

I picked this up in Bookworld (or Bookworks?...one of those chainstore discount shops that does art stuff and cards as well as books) the other day, for £3.99. I thought it was just one book but I think it is actually the content of three, squashed a bit.

It's very enlightening with lots of tips about saving on ingredients and energy in cooking, covering food from both the war through to the end of rationing, with tips and clippings from newspapers and government leaflets. It's very interesting reading for Old Style types so I thought it should be flagged here :)
It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Arrgggghh I was in town today picking up my Henry :( I'll have to pop in again towards the end of the week to have a look.

I shouldn't really, I already have the Austerity Cookbook.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    Arrgggghh I was in town today picking up my Henry :(

Is that George's little brother? I'm toying with the idea of buying George but don't know anyone who's tried him yet ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bugs wrote:
    (Ooh, I hope I don't get modded for this one - but it's so Old Style it's surprising it isn't rationed and printed on old butter wrappers! ;))

I picked this up in Bookworld (or Bookworks?...one of those chainstore discount shops that does art stuff and cards as well as books) the other day, for £3.99. I thought it was just one book but I think it is actually the content of three, squashed a bit. :)

Nice find thanks.

I just ordered mine (used) from Amazon for £4.05 plus p&p
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's in The Works bookshops, I nearly got one today, will have to back and get it, little reward for all my moneysaving efforts!
    Nanna had a copy of Mrs Beetons book, i wonder where that went...?
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    When I left home, my mum gave me a the cookbook she had been given by her mum when she left home in 1976.

It is called 'Step by Step Cookery' by Margerite Patten!

It has a couple of truly scary recipes in it for things to make with calf brains, and various bits of entrails (obviously for when we ate this stuff), and a few entertaining recipes for exciting recipes involving 'exotic' things like avocado, and some obviously trendy then things like prawn cocktail and fondue :rotfl:

BUT, it has been invaluable, as it has pictures, and really idiot friendly advice on what to have in your cupboard (or 'refrigerator if you are lucky enough to have one of these :eek: ), what cuts of meat to get, how to tell things are fresh etc. The recipes are so basic and simple, for real brass tacks meals such as toad i'thole, cakes, stews, roasts, soups etc.

Thanks for jogging my memory - it still lives on my (new fangled) fridge for handy reference, for when I forget things (like how to use all that pesky left over calf brain).
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh 'eck. Now I'm going to have to think about maybe a section in the Recipe Index for recommended books.

Second thoughts... I'll have a nap...

catfence.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HLK
    HLK Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    When I we visited the new Imperial war Museum in Salford Keys (yes we MSE members are cultured!) the gift shop stocked books like what was available during rationing.. cook books .. MSE type ideas(you know the gravy browning type) - now if only I bought one ot two ... maybe if someone else if visiting.. they could rectify my mistake and post here..

edit - actually I'm off to Google IWM gift shop ..

you can download their catalogue..

starter for 10 - 'The Wartime Kitchen' by Marguerite Patten OBE'

http://www.iwm.org.uk/upload/pdf/Publications0405.pdf
    HLK

"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    Oh 'eck. Now I'm going to have to think about maybe a section in the Recipe Index for recommended books.

catfence.gif

Ok, well if you do then my first recommendation is HFW's River Cottage Meat Book, closely followed by Jamie's Dinners (great for beginner cooks!) and .... (only kidding :D ) ... but I'm sure you'd get lots of recommendations from others ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well give me chance. There's other things to do yet :)
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    squeaky wrote:

catfence.gif

Great Idea! The Recommended Books Index - although I have far too many recipe books, I can always find room for another stray :) OH reckons I'm running a refuge for them now as there are so many!

I too can recommend the Victory Cookbook. I bought it as some of the recipes my Mum used to use so it brings back some good memories! ahhhh!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport