Cheapest Domain Name Registrars UK

Options
Hi folks,

I just got a Domain Name registration renewal notice from 123-reg which seems pretty high: £96 to renew a.com domain or 5 years. I've been with them for 25 years so I guess they think I'm a soft touch. I noticed that Ionos is offering .com domains at £13/year which would save me £30, but wondered if there are any cheaper ones out there anybody could recommend, and are there any pitfalls in changing etc.? I have a few other domains with 123-reg, so am thinking it would be worth the effort to change if the price is right....

TIA!
Mark

Comments

• bubieyehyeh
    Options
    Not the cheapest, but I use https://www.mythic-beasts.com/domains
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To renew elsewhere you will be charged to transfer it which will add to the cost and loose most the savings overall.

We have used 123reg for years at work, they are a little pricier, but always been a reliable provider.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I transferred mine from UK2 to 1and1
    There was no transfer fee and the first years fees were heavily discounted.
    I already have a 1and1 account, don't know if that's significant.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why limit yourself to UK registrars? Bear in mind that price is not everything, reliability of service is another factor, which is way more important if it's a business website.

Personally I have been using Godaddy for ages and very pleased with the service and price.
  • bubieyehyeh
    Options
    mluton wrote: »
    To renew elsewhere you will be charged to transfer it which will add to the cost and loose most the savings overall.

We have used 123reg for years at work, they are a little pricier, but always been a reliable provider.

Rubbish, do you work for 123reg trying to put of customers from leaving?

I've moved domains away from 123reg since they were unreliable and unable to create certain DNS records, and there was no fee to leave.

Regular articles have appear on the theregister about their multiple 123reg outages over the years.

For .com domains cloudflare will probably be cheapest since they do them "at-cost".
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rubbish, do you work for 123reg trying to put of customers from leaving?

I've moved domains away from 123reg since they were unreliable and unable to create certain DNS records, and there was no fee to leave.

Regular articles have appear on the theregister about their multiple 123reg outages over the years.

For .com domains cloudflare will probably be cheapest since they do them "at-cost".

We manage our domains DNS elsewhere on our own servers so we haven't experienced most 123reg outages. But as a registrar there services are and support have been fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure