Wanting to work and Benefits advice.

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    wursel wrote: »
    Yes, but his records are for his parent's house. No living ties here.
    My house, mortgage and bills all in my name.

Paperwork wise, I don't exist.
    Thank you for the info.
    It is a single claim. I can afford to keep everything going, but eventually, when we know what's coming in, it can be used for contribution and his self budgeting.

You are committing benefit fraud.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    You are committing benefit fraud.
    That will depend if the ESA is Income Related or Contributions based.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    That will depend if the ESA is Income Related or Contributions based.

Yes fair enough x
  • Cyclamen
    Options
    PIP and ESA, universal credit hasn't been mentioned and he only went to a face to face checkup with them a few months ago which he passed.

Its been a lifetime of negative reinforcement for him living at home where he's told he can't work or won't be able to do it because if his issues.

You mention ESA can you ask him to check his letters and see if it says income related or contributions based.

Does he live with parents? If so they need to agree an amount for board but shouldnt be recieving his benefit payments unless he is unable to manage. If he lives elsewhere he definitly should have benefits registered to his address and take control.

The second paragraph bothers me... please ask him to reach out to the Autistic community. Lots of positive role models, support and most of all help understanding himself.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Cyclamen wrote: »
    Does he live with parents?
    According to post #9 they live together as a couple and the partner is claiming ESA as a single person. No mention of whether it's Contributions based or Income Related.

Information has been given in drips and drabs... not ideal when asking for advice because the correct information can't be given.
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Poppy I missed that.

Definitely sounds like a phone call to dwp needed plus squaring up any council tax etc.. and also making sure things like carers allowance are claimed by the correct party etc.

It's starting to sound like a vulnerable person in a sticky situation. With others controlling their money etc and at worse fraud by not using correct address. That is very worrying

I really think the person involved needs to go to CAB and get help notifying the right people, gaining control of own finances etc.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    If the partner has an appointee and this could be possible then it will be their responsibility to report any changes, if they don't then they will be responsible for any overpayments regarding the ESA and any other benefits they maybe claiming.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would suggest looking at the National Autistic Society Website and phoning their helpling.

Also voluntary work might be a good idea to boost confidence and skills without affecting benefits.

He does need to find out what benefits he is receiving though. I was the appointee for my son (23) until he asked for that to be relinquished. He's been in debt ever since lol, but part of life's experience I guess. However he does still live with me but I don't rescue him anymore.
  • poppy12345
    Options

He does need to find out what benefits he is receiving though.
    Already stated here that he is claiming ESA as a single person while living with the OP as a couple. What hasn't be established is whether that ESA is Contributions based or Income Related.
    PIP and ESA, universal credit hasn't been mentioned
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From post 5, it sounds possible that the person has never worked. Wilkie that affect whether ESA would be income or contribution based?
    Either way, he urgently needs to find out if his parents are his appointee.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure