Wanting to work and Benefits advice.

Hi all,

Wanted to ask a big network hoping for any advice for my partner.

They receive benefits I guess for not working (they don't officially know which, but think its PIP). This has always gone through their parents and they get top-ups, money from them when requested. He doesn't even know how much he gets.

He suffers from Aspergers and Autism but can function in small groups, use a computer and learn tasks slowly.

He has a want to be off benefits and to be able to contribute to the household but is petrified that trying to get a job would result in failure and he would end up with nothing to fall back on with the PIP/benefit.

How would someone go about trying to get out of their 'hell' and try for employment without being worse off? Neither of us knows how the benefits work with trying to get employed and it not working.

Any advice, pointers where to go or help would be a lot more than we have right now.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 December 2019 at 8:02AM
    wursel wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wanted to ask a big network hoping for any advice for my partner.

They receive benefits I guess for not working (they don't officially know which, but think its PIP). This has always gone through their parents and they get top-ups, money from them when requested. He doesn't even know how much he gets.

He suffers from Aspergers and Autism but can function in small groups, use a computer and learn tasks slowly.

He has a want to be off benefits and to be able to contribute to the household but is petrified that trying to get a job would result in failure and he would end up with nothing to fall back on with the PIP/benefit.

How would someone go about trying to get out of their 'hell' and try for employment without being worse off? Neither of us knows how the benefits work with trying to get employed and it not working.

Any advice, pointers where to go or help would be a lot more than we have right now.
    Without knowing exactly what benefits they are claiming then no one can give any correct advice.

PIP isn't an out of work benefit and it isn't affected by working, unless the work you do contradicts the reasons for claiming PIP BUT if they are receiving any other benefits then working could affect them.

Do you live with your partner?

I'd advise you to find out exactly what benefits they are claiming and then come back once you know all the exact details. Then someone will advise you correctly.
  • It's been a while since my partner had to stop work he is also Autistic/Aspergers and worked from home or earlier in more solitary jobs in greenhouses/growing/ tractor driving etc..

PIP is not affected by work but if he receives PIP and is also working 16 hours he may be entitled to the disability element of working tax credit (if this still exisits).

If his parents have been completing benefits he may also be recieving ESA which is for those who are too poorly to work.. this would stop.. however he may be able to do 'permitted work' whilst still claiming.

Is he able to manage finances...? perhaps a joint bank account with his parents where his benefits go is a good start.. that we he can pay them board and see his money but they can help.

There are some amazing fb groups for Autistics .. and within those groups are people who work and those who cant so it might be worth him joining a few (leave any that are nasty) and get some support from other Autistics too.

Good luck to you both
  • poppy12345
    Cyclamen wrote: »

PIP is not affected by work but if he receives PIP and is also working 16 hours he may be entitled to the disability element of working tax credit (if this still exisits).
    No, it no longer exists for new claims, unless the person is claiming a Severe Disability Premium in with an existing benefit. All areas are now Universal Credit.

Totally impossible to give any advice with no information from the OP.
  • wursel
    wursel Posts: 17 Forumite
    PIP and ESA, universal credit hasn't been mentioned and he only went to a face to face checkup with them a few months ago which he passed.

Its been a lifetime of negative reinforcement for him living at home where he's told he can't work or won't be able to do it because if his issues.

I think otherwise and have no need to mollycoddle him as such from the world.

The first step would be to get his benefits paid straight to him, I can help advise on finances as currently am the only earner.

I just wanted to know which might stop if any if he attempts to try and look for work, even though he has been signed off. It could be that he really cant handle, but wouldn't want that to be double punishment.

Thank you both for your responces. Everything should stay ok if he does 16 hours or less?
  • poppy12345

The first step would be to get his benefits paid straight to him, I can help advise on finances as currently am the only earner.
    You need to answer this question please.... are you living together?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would strongly suggest he (and you) get face to face benefits advice from your local advice charity.

Simplistically:
    a) PIP would not be affected;
    b) ESA would be affected, but pre-authorised permitted work is possible.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Employment-and-Support-Allowance-Permitted-Work/What-is-permitted-work-Employment-and-Support-All
    Permitted work can be a complicated issue, and under UC (and in the LCW) working could be less of a problem (especially with PIP in payment than with ESA).

BTW poppy's question about living together (as man and wife) is very relevant. Is the ESA a joint or single claim?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • poppy12345
    Alice_Holt wrote: »

BTW poppy's question about living together (as man and wife) is very relevant. Is the ESA a joint or single claim?
    If it's a single claim and you're living together, is the claim Income Related or Contributions based and are you working? As you state in a post above that you are currently the sole earner.
  • wursel
    edited 31 December 2019 at 1:33AM
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Yes, but his records are for his parent's house. No living ties here.
    My house, mortgage and bills all in my name.

Paperwork wise, I don't exist.
  • wursel
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    I would strongly suggest he (and you) get face to face benefits advice from your local advice charity.

Simplistically:
    a) PIP would not be affected;
    b) ESA would be affected, but pre-authorised permitted work is possible.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Employment-and-Support-Allowance-Permitted-Work/What-is-permitted-work-Employment-and-Support-All
    Permitted work can be a complicated issue, and under UC (and in the LCW) working could be less of a problem (especially with PIP in payment than with ESA).

Thank you for the info.
    It is a single claim. I can afford to keep everything going, but eventually, when we know what's coming in, it can be used for contribution and his self budgeting.
  • poppy12345
    edited 31 December 2019 at 8:07AM
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Yes, but his records are for his parent's house. No living ties here.
    My house, mortgage and bills all in my name.

Paperwork wise, I don't exist.
    I will assume that you are living together based on this.

Sorry but it makes no difference whether the records are for his parents house. If you're living together and he's claiming Income Related ESA while you're working then he needs to contact DWP and report those changes because he will have an overpayment. ALL changes must be reported, it clearly states this on all benefit letters.

How long have you been living together?

Are you also claiming single person council tax discount? If you are then you'll need to contact your local council and report those changes because you won't be entitled to the single person discount while living together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure