We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Weed v Not Weed Help Please

Options
2»

Comments

• stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    The new growth, and the flower shape look like a passiflora to me.

But if anyone like Davesnave says otherwise, go with them, as I am pretty new!

If it is, keep it, it won't harm the tree.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First one is this. Is growing in borders and seems to have small roots. No flowers yet:

http://imgbox.com/9oYo4fXU
    I might be confused with posts Dav esnave so apologies, is the first one lysamachia?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 May 2018 at 6:27PM
    Options
    I might be confused with posts Dav esnave so apologies, is the first one lysamachia?
    It looked like the emerging leaves on my Lythrums to me, but I will go and get one to compare. I wouldn't rule out something like lysimachia though. I thought lythrum because it's near water, but canal banks could be just the spot for lots of 'garden escapes.'

Will edit when I get back....:)

Edit: You're right!:T The lythrum leaves are not rounded enough and the size is too small relative to human fingers, so the first picture is probably lysimachia nummularia or Creeping Jenny. I've been over my Creeping Jenny with the lawnmower recently :o but the teensy bit I brought back looks right.

The one going up the tree is a clematis, possibly a montana by the size of it. I don't know much about those. :o
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    The new growth, and the flower shape look like a passiflora to me.

But if anyone like Davesnave says otherwise, go with them, as I am pretty new! Us old timers still get things wrong....see above!:rotfl:

If it is, keep it, it won't harm the tree.
  • Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Yep looks like the geranium sanguineum "Bloody Cranesbill" great if you cut yourself in the garden.
    A very good picture, not usually that easy to see the hairs on the leaves so clearly
  • todayisagreatday
    Options
    Thank you everyone, really appreciate the help!
  • JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The climbing plant in post no 11 is a clematis Montana, it will take over the whole tree given a chance!
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options

Thats what I think, otherwise known as Creeping Jenny.

No 2 = Geranium as mentioned above and No3 buttercup.
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    One of the best pieces of advice my mother in law gave me when we inherited an unloved garden was to wait a year before pulling up or clearing out something you didn’t recognise. Wait and see what develops and now, three years in I’m so glad I did. We found so many treasures which I would never have planted myself. It takes patience when I had really itchy fingers but it was worth it.
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is in one or two areas but has spread and in one border it's full of it.

http://imgbox.com/GF07cOR9

No idea what it is, but I have some in my garden.

It gives good dense cover (it doesn't look "patchy"), and it takes absolutely no care at all to flourish! Mine comes out in light purple flowers.

But it will spread moderately quickly, smothering any similar-height plants. It also creeps over the lawn edges, killing the grass. It's fine if you keep an eye on it, and just yank out any bits that spread too far.

When it dies back in autumn/winter, the vine-like stems die and become like brittle straw. You can rake through the plant quite to tidy these out. Don't even try to be gentle -- nothing other than digging it up is going to kill it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure