Economy Seven Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• theposhcat
    Options
    I have just signed up to switch to them and it went through on 1 October.

2 days later they told me that they are raising their prices by over 7%.

I can cancel with no fee so should I or is everyone going to be increasing?

Maybe just bad timing but feels a bit of a rip off.

Many thanks

Darren
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    theposhcat wrote: »
    I have just signed up to switch to them and it went through on 1 October.

2 days later they told me that they are raising their prices by over 7%.

I can cancel with no fee so should I or is everyone going to be increasing?

Maybe just bad timing but feels a bit of a rip off.

Many thanks

Darren

If you have agreed to a variable tariff, then you should have been aware that you were risking an increase (or decrease) in tariff ant any time (subject to the notice required to be given)

Energy prices are currently on the increase generally, and have been for several months now, and that is why MSE & Martin have been banging the drum urging people to get onto a fixed tariff.
  • Puffer
    Puffer Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My annual consumption is about 7,500kWh elec and 60,000kWh gas. I am currently with Bulb - excellent service and has been a good price until the latest increase announced.

I tried to get an online quote from Eco7 and was told that it could not quote. I asked why via the 'chat' facility and was told (very promptly and apologetically) that 'We cannot support annual consumption of over 50k'. (Not sure if that means per fuel or overall, but clearly my likely 60k is unacceptable.)

I imagine that many other people with high usage will be excluded.

Maybe I need a bigger supply pipe for my gas!!
  • Conwyn
    Options
    I switched last April. Although there have been two price increases they are still cheap. They do respond to emails after a few days. The web site is perfectly acceptable to enter your readings monthly and they are used so you can avoid estimates. There is no exit fee. I have a E7 meter. It is easy to criticize the poor design of the web site but the purpose of "Money Saving" is money saving not opining on the small effort required to save money.
  • ecclebrick
    Options
    I agree, but some things on the website are essential like indicating which meter reading box is for on peak and which is for off peak
    Get this wrong and you bill is wrong which causes chaos, I pointed this out to them and they fixed it by adding night, to the second box, only just showing Ni ... If they take out the word USAGE it would fit,
    I only offered constructed critism to help save to help them save future aggravation, I think their tariffs are very good.
  • Fiendish_Astronaut
    Options
    They've just sent me an email:
    To avoid building up large credit balances in the summer and to ensure our customers do not fall into debt in the colder months, your new variable Direct Debit will be scheduled into two defined periods.

Between the months of April and September, you will pay a lower summer price and from October to March your payment will be amended to reflect your higher energy consumption.

Basically the direct debit amount between October and March is double the DD between April And Sept. This also happens to increase the yearly amount by quite a large amount.

Very cheeky way to increase the fees but also what's the guarantee that when I get to April and start the "lower" fee they won't decide to up the price?
  • thefsg
    thefsg Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 November 2018 at 5:19PM
    Options
    I've just received an email from Economy Seven Energy saying they are now going to charge different DD amounts in the Autumn/Winter and Spring/Summer periods (6 months each). In my case my annual costs of £1918.95, previously paid as 12 x £127.93, will now be paid as 6 x £223.88 plus 6 x £95.95 (comes to the same amount per year).

They are claiming that it is Ofgem that is forcing them to do this as Ofgem don't want people to build up debts on their accounts. This is false logic as people will still move from credit to debit under their new scheme, even if the amounts might be smaller. Their email says:

"As part of our obligations as an energy supplier and in accordance with Ofgem’s guidance, we are required to do all we can to limit the risk of customers accruing a debt on their account."

Is it really correct that Ofgem policy is causing this change and if so, will ALL OTHER PROVIDERS being doing the same?
  • Norfolk_girl
    Options
    Have had emails from my supplier, Economy Seven Energy today. They are going to put payments up in Winter and down in Summer. My monthly payments are going up to £152 now from £86 then down to £65 from April. I can't afford £152! They talk a load of twaddle in the email about 'providing additional peace of mind' etc. Can enough customers complain about this please and get them to reverse this horrendous decision!
  • Norfolk_girl
    Options
    Just worked out that the new direct debits represent a 25% increase in monthly payments, when you average them out across the year! It seems that Economy Seven Energy are trying to do the exact opposite of what they claim in the emails: to build up large credits to fund their business!
  • Robert52A
    Options
    Have been with Economy7 Energy ( website, or Foxglove Energy on emails, or Fischer Energy for Direct Debit) since April 2 prices increase (not fixed) but still good price for me.Website basic but it works. Think the change of policy on Direct Debit over past 2 days is completely unacceptable. My estimated annual bill is £1900 current DD of £152. Since April have built up £320 credit which will reduce over the winter and be pretty close to a balance by end of March. They are now asking for for £267 a month until March. My guess depending on the vagaries of the English winter is that they will be hold even more of my money by then, maybe £500. I have told them it is unacceptable , by email, there telephones are on constant busy so probably they are getting their ears bent by many.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback