Options
2»

Comments

• Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    PepeRapo wrote: »
    Everyone I asked so far. They said it is wrong you can't marry your brothers wife's sister. I want them to be happy but if its something not accepted then i dont know what to think.

Did everyone you asked so far give *any* reason why you can't marry your sister in law's sister? Or given any reason as to why they thought it was disgusting?
  • SuperAllyB
    Options
    PepeRapo wrote: »
    Hi.

I have two questions.

My wife's sister has proposed to my brother. I did not agree with them going out in the first place because someone told me it is seen as disgusting. First of all is this illegal? Can they legally get married? Do you view this as disturbing or disgusting? I need some thoughts on this.

Second questions is that my brother has a lot of credit card debt that he did not pay off. My wife is worried that her sister will not be able to get mortgage if they have the same credit file. What is the reality of this and does marriage class as financial links?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
    Surely that depends on what the wife's sister looks like?
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 22 October 2018 at 10:12PM
    Options
    No, it is not illegal. It is not incest and are not related through blood. As for the credit file, marriage does not constitute a financial association. This will only happen if an application for credit is joint.

Interestingly, that would mean that if her sister has a child with your brother, then you would both be blood uncle and aunt to that child, which would be quite cool I suppose? I would not have a problem with it, do not worry about what outsiders think. If anything it means you both share a blood relative ;)
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure