Holiday cancellation and insurance claim

Options
Hi there

Can I get advice please? I’ve booked a holiday for myself and ds, in a group of 17 (4 families). My friend was the lead booker and we all had to transfer money to her to pay the deposit (£900 in my case). The airline has changed the return flights and Which is not suitable for me due to work commitments, so I’ve cancelled. I intend to claim my deposit back on my holiday insurance but the fact I didn’t pay it on my credit/debit car would I still be covered?

Many thanks
CP

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I doubt you will be able to claim for this cancellation on your insurance, have you checked? If the flight change was significant (more than 12 hours usually) the tour operator should have offered you a full refund.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • creditpunch
    Options
    Thank you. No it’s not more than 12hrs but enough to affect me getting to work in time. I haven’t contacted my insurer yet.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd doubt you're covered in those circumstances. No harm in asking.

Effectively you've chosen not to travel. Your work commitments are not your insurers concern.

You could still travel....but face the wrath of the workplace!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Nearly always better to look at name change costs and see if a substitute traveller can be found.

Did the lead book as a package or DIY?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you. No it’s not more than 12hrs but enough to affect me getting to work in time. I haven’t contacted my insurer yet.

If getting to work on time is so critical, how would you have coped if your original flight home was delayed by several hours eg by bad weather, ATC issues etc? :huh:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also by you pulling out ,does this not affect the holiday cost of the rest of the group?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Also by you pulling out ,does this not affect the holiday cost of the rest of the group?

I think this is very likely in which case the rest of the party might be looking for more money from you ( the OP)

I doubt wether the deposit is
    A refundable
    B. Covered by insurance.

What did the lead booker say when you wanted to cancel
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    I think this is very likely in which case the rest of the party might be looking for more money from you ( the OP)

I doubt wether the deposit is
    A refundable
    B. Covered by insurance.

What did the lead booker say when you wanted to cancel

And have you told them :rotfl::rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Insurance policies do not cover for disinclination to travel. Pulling out will likely have an affect on the price of the holiday for the others so I would expect the lead passenger to be coming back to you for more money.

If the change of flight schedule is enough to interfere with your going back to work it sounds like you really didn't allow enough contingency time. A flight could easily be delayed by several hours due to tech problems, weather, ATC etc etc. What would you have done then?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    creditpunch, when you say "you" have cancelled, I presume you mean you have pulled your entire family from the holiday as £900 deposit would seem excessive for one person. How many people are now not travelling?
    Will the others have to pay any extra because of your withdrawal, and if so do you plan to compensate them for that? If a single booking has been made for x people it may not be as straightforward as contacting the tour operator and removing a group of people.

As a general observation, if anybody is doing a booking for multiple groups of people it is always advisable to have a formal contract stipulating exactly what the process will be for anybody wishing to pull out, whatever the reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure