internet to garden cabin

Options
internet to garden cabin 60' away
I wish to get access to internet in my solidly constructed cabin which has electricity connected to the house. However the line out to the cabin from the consumer center (modern fusebox) in the house is seperate from the house 'ring'. But it comes from the same 'fusebox'. Easiest solution would be powerlines, but don't know how electricity works inside a fusebox and whether the internet data can travel from the house line that the router is connected to and 'find' the armoured cable going out to the cabin!

Comments

• baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    should work. i have 1 connected to the downstairs ring thats paired with 1 upstairs on a different ring (circuit) and it works 100% fine.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't need to know the electricty works inside the fusebox. Only a loose connection in the fusebox can interfer with the signal that the Powerline Units send down the electric cables, and if you have a loose connecting in the fuseboard you have a bigger problem than your internet not working.

Fires are regularly caused by loose connections, so if your Powerline connection doesn't work, I would get an electrician to check the resistance of the electrical path between the cabin and the fuseboard, and between the fuseboard and the circuit powering your other Powerline device.

The manufacturers say not to use them in extension cords, but I have done some on occasion and they still worked fine.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • brewerdave
    Options
    I've got powerline adaptors working on separate circuits and extension leads at both the router and PC ends! So they are pretty flexible.
  • paulseb
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback all.
    Any recommendations on brand and what 'numbers' to look for?
    There's a bewildering selection of units out there on Amazon etc and I'm not sure what I might need for a couple of computers out in my cabins.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    paulseb wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the feedback all.
    Any recommendations on brand and what 'numbers' to look for?
    There's a bewildering selection of units out there on Amazon etc and I'm not sure what I might need for a couple of computers out in my cabins.

Powerline adaptors are terribly slow compared to ethernet cables and reach nowhere near there stated speed in the real world.

Your much better off getting and Ethernet cable to the cabin because it will be much faster, cheaper and reliable.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    Powerline adaptors are terribly slow compared to ethernet cables and reach nowhere near there stated speed in the real world.

Your much better off getting and Ethernet cable to the cabin because it will be much faster, cheaper and reliable.

Indeed, that said, if it is just a connection to your internet and not say a file server where you may want more (but unless it's all ssd agasin it will not matter!), they are fine.

I use some becauase I am too lazy to route cable though my house (and no chance of wifi as the boiler in the cupboard makes it really bad!). I can max out my broadband on it.

Don't go for the cheapest though. They use ancient tech that is bad and slow.

I went for 1200 rated and with pass through so as not to plug after things.
  • mnbvcxz
    Options
    There is a rumor that an outdoor metal wire with a low electrical current running through it is the ideal way to attract lightning. I don't know how true that is in practice though. Scared me off outdoor ethernet though. Perhaps putting it in a plastic hose would help? Surge protectors are available for a price and might work.

I assume you have already tried putting a wireless access point in a window facing the shed and seeing what signal you get? You might be surprised.

I have seen powerline adaptors pick up each other from different apartments through different electricity meters (by accident) so they can leak a surprising distance. But they do slow down a fair bit if the wiring is complicated or long. You will just have to experiment.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 September 2019 at 10:35PM
    Options
    I've been using powerline adapters to my shed for years to run a couple of CCTV cameras, energy monitor receivers and sometime a lap top. The shed has is connected to the house via a 12 metre spur from a fuse in the main fuse box and the router is connected to one of the house ring-mains. The spur feeds a fuse box in the shed which has several 13a sockets in a ring connected to it.

I've got a TP-link Home-plug adapter connected to the router, a 3 port Linksys adapter in the shed and a three port Solwise one which is on a separate ring which feeds the TV, Sky box and DVD player and they all work happily together - they are all AV200 spec and I don't notice any performance issues.

However that said we were only getting around 2mbit's broadband so any sort of performance was quite good. We got upgraded to 76mbit's last year so the improvement in broadband performance across the whole household has been pretty dramatic. I haven't noticed that the powerline stuff is causing me any speed problems either in the house or the shed.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been using the TPLink AV600 for sometime now. I've a SWA feeding my garage/shed and the WPA version of the TP AV600 plugged into the 13 amp sockets in there. The WPA adaptor give full WiFi coverage in the garden.

There's also a CCTV camera connected to it via Cat 5.

I use the plug-in adaptors to feed my smart TV and Humax PVR via Cat 5 as well.

All in all 4 adaptors and I've had absolutely no problems at all.
  • 60six
    60six Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2019 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Powerline adapters have worked for me for years to my garage approx. 20 metres away, but you will only get 1/3 of your connection speed at best - For basic internet browsing this will work fine, but if you are transferring files between computers across these adapters then you will find it very slow.

TP-LINK are ok but need unplugging/re-pairing every now and then. Devolo are the best I have used - They initially invented them and I have always found them trouble free.

If they are intermittent or you can't get them to connect - Make sure that you are not using surge protectors anywhere on their connections - extension leads are ok but do weaken the signal. Extension leads with surge protection never work reliably and should be avoided. If they still don't work a single run of rj45 cabling is the best method to connect the garage.

Make sure you pair them as if you don't, in some circumstances you end up joining to a neighbours, which causes all kinds of fun ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure