Family tree help

Options
My husband has been desperately searching for his fathers records but there is absolutely nothing out there.
My husbands father has said he has not seen his own birth certificate and we can find no record of it either
We have found my husbands fathers mothers birth certificate but we don’t know who his father her partner was

Can anyone suggest anything?

Comments

• Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Which country was he born in?

The answer to that will help us give you the correct suggestions.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Which country was he born in?

The answer to that will help us give you the correct suggestions.

Wales uk 1948
  • debbie22
    debbie22 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Katie

If you want to inbox me the details, would be pleased to have a look for you x
    2011 Wins - Shopping Vouchers / Ice Bucket from Dr Oetker / Local Hair Salon Colour Treatment

2012 Wins - Lego for my lad. Not much else!:rotfl:

2013...here's hoping!:D Watch this space
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Beat me to it, only possible problem with Wales is the common surnames, good luck.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Beat me to it, only possible problem with Wales is the common surnames, good luck.

And that the first name he's known by may not be the name on his birth certificate.

Most of my Welsh relatives were known by their second name - or even something completely different to what was on their BC.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,765 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does your husband's father have any siblings whose birth records might give you a clue? Also happy to try looking for you if you pm some details....
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does he know for a fact that he was born in Wales?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DNA can be the quickest/easiest way to help nail down "the unknown". In any case, even if you get his birth certificate, it can help to find more extended family more quickly.

Once you've explored "the obvious", it's just as well to simply stump up and have the DNA done. Which company you use to do the DNA can help this to be faster as they aren't "all the same" and some are better at "connecting" than others. e.g. Ancestry's version has many tools to help people find extended family... there might be others "as good", or better, which is something others might know more about.

It's a one off cost that is perpetually "out there" seeking new connections.

Maybe there was a typo.
    Maybe he was illegitimate.
    Maybe he was adopted, or found, or stolen.

DNA does cut through all that uncertainty stuff and cut straight to the chase.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DNA can be the quickest/easiest way to help nail down "the unknown". In any case, even if you get his birth certificate, it can help to find more extended family more quickly.

Once you've explored "the obvious", it's just as well to simply stump up and have the DNA done. Which company you use to do the DNA can help this to be faster as they aren't "all the same" and some are better at "connecting" than others. e.g. Ancestry's version has many tools to help people find extended family... there might be others "as good", or better, which is something others might know more about.

It's a one off cost that is perpetually "out there" seeking new connections.

It only works if someone reasonably closely related has also taken the test - I've been waiting for years for a connection to be made. :(

Maybe there was a typo.
    Maybe he was illegitimate.
    Maybe he was adopted, or found,
    or stolen.

He would still have had a BC in these cases.
  • miriamac
    miriamac Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    He would still have had a BC in these cases.

However, it might be in a different surname - making it even more difficult to find.

I had terrible trouble finding my great grandmother's birth registration. It turned out that she was illegitimate (as was her older brother and one younger sister - the great great grandparents got married one month before the next sister was born!).

Although every other record for great granny - including a couple of censuses - was in the surname we 'knew', her birth surname was great great granny's maiden name.
    What would Buzz do?

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure