Older and fitter

Options

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    I couldn't agree more fred246. It's just too easy to jump into the car. We live close to the town centre, and so I can walk to pretty much everything that I need to get to. The only time I would use the car is to do the big weekly shopping, but I've even got into the habit of walking to the supermarket nearly every day and buying what I can carry, so even those trips aren't as frequent as they used to be.

We have a big issue around our local secondary school, as there's nowhere for parents to park when they pick up the kids, so they end up on the pavement and on double yellow lines etc. I'm pretty sure a lot of those kids could walk home, but they don't.

And equally my SIL (aged 65) thinks I'm amazing because I walk into town (5 minutes walk up a slight incline) - so the issue isn't just with the young. We sometimes go for dinner to our local restaurant, which is really not far from home (300 yds max) - she will drive.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's interesting that EdSwippet refers to a 'lightbulb moment' - for me it was getting yet another bad back, to add to the ongoing hip pain, weak ankle, stiff neck and an increasing squidginess around the tummy. I decided something had to be done!! I haven't had a bad back since I started at the gym, hip no longer causes any trouble, ankles are fine and neck is tickety boo. And the tummy is no longer squidgy. What was you lightbulb moment?

From my late 20s to my late 40s I very slowly got bigger. Nothing dramatic, no huge changes, my weight just crept up over a long period. I would occasionally move up a clothes size, but nothing else really changed. We still walked a fair bit, did family stuff, cycled occasionally, but nothing very strenuous.

Two things changed it for me. Firstly becoming increasingly concerned about my snoring, I'm sure I had sleep apnoea, although I never had it confirmed / diagnosed and secondly breaking things. Folding camping chairs broke very easily, which wasn't a great surprise as I was over the weight limit. I once had a terrifying experience on a fairground ride, where I was well over the weight limit and couldn't stop thinking about the camping chairs. Both of those combined reached a tipping point.

I lost a lot of weight, again fairly slowly and undramatically, but also along the way took up cycling. I started cycling initially as the weight loss had stalled and I wanted to keep it going, but the cycling eventually became much more important than the weight loss.

I now undertake some long distance endurance cycling events, that are probably as much a mental challenge as a physical one. Being fitter does help however.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    That's absolutely fabulous Nebulous2. Very interesting that the cycling started as a means to an end but then became a 'thing' in itself. When's the next big race?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Nebulous2
    Options
    That's absolutely fabulous Nebulous2. Very interesting that the cycling started as a means to an end but then became a 'thing' in itself. When's the next big race?

I don't race - I tried it and didn't like it very much, but I do long distance events called audax. They have a maximum and minimum time, and despite not being races they can be quite competitive. For a 200km audax you have to finish it within 13 hours and 30 minutes. For a 300 you have to finish in 20 hours, and so on. If you complete a set of 200, 300, 400 and 600 in the same season you get an SR (Series Randonneur) award. That's my aim for next season, I've signed up for the full set starting on 16th of March with a 200.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    That's a lot of kilometres!! I own a bike - and in fact OH and I have had some very pleasant cycle rides (there's a canal path not far from the house). I could cycle to work, it's only 4 miles away, along the canal - but I always seem to have something to carry, or the weather looks a bit doubtful, or it's actually raining, or I'm running late, or I need to go on somewhere afterwards...

Which I guess just goes to prove that the most important thing is finding the thing that works for you, and then actually doing it!! I was chatting to a gym buddy the other day, about how often we go. I go three days a week, she goes 4. In my ideal world I think I would go every other day, but at the moment OH is working away so I don't feel I want to head off to the gym over the weekend when he's at home. Once he's back home all the time it's something I might consider.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Those last 2 posts reminded me of where I used to work. There were two of us who were famous for cycling. I had gone to Holland and came back excited about living a normal life using a bicycle as much as I could. I cycle commuted for years. I go shopping with panniers. Go to the gym on my bike. The other guy just cycled every Sunday morning on a racing bike around the roads in lycra. Maybe went out one evening in the week. I used to tell him about the latest off road route I had found. He wanted to be on the road all the time. I persuaded him to get some puncture proof tyres. He hated them as they were 'too heavy'. Even though we were both 'the cyclists' we really had nothing in common.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    We're all different (thank goodness!!).

But there is some sort of fitness-producing activity for everyone, and I firmly believe that doing something is better than doing nothing.

I have a friend who goes to dance classes - signed up for ballroom but discovered a love of swing and rock and roll as well.

My parents used to walk (regular 12 mile hikes in all weathers), and still do, although now it's more like 3 miles via a tearoom... But my mother does housework like it's an Olympic sport, and still climbs steps to clean her windows and the tops of her wardrobes (she's 88, but don't tell her I told you, it's a very well kept secret!). My father still does exercises every morning, and only recently stopped doing push-ups (and only because he had a problem with his hand, not because he couldn't do them!). And he gardens. A lot.

You see so many people who are relatively young (I'm thinking 40-somthings) who struggle to walk any sort of distance and couldn't run if their life depended on it. They aren't going to suddenly get fit - and their mobility will only get worse as they get older - unless they start actually doing something. In my own case, my hip pain was really bad, kept me awake at night and reduced my mobility so that I struggled to get socks on. It eased up during the day, but I was never really pain free. I was pretty sure that, given 10 years or so, I would be on the list for a hip replacement. Now - it doesn't hurt. It's as simple as that. It just doesn't hurt. And I put that down purely to exercising - not just my legs, but my whole body. It has to be the whole body (in my opinion) to allow everything to be in balance and working efficiently.

And I'm a bit evangelical about it, I admit!!
  • Nebulous2
    Options
    I watched some members of my parent's generation get older and succumb to various ailments, and now scarily it is people of my own generation. More and more though, as I hear of somebodys misfortune, I'm thinking that is a lifestyle condition.

There is certainly some evidence that exercise increases lifespan. Something I've had a growing interest in is compression of morbidity. We're continually hearing of the problems of an older population, with all the health and care needs, in negative terms.

It doesn't have to be that way though. People growing older should be celebrated and valued. Living to 65 and spending the last 15 years in ill-health is more of a challenge for the person and the care system than living to 90 and spending the last 6 months in ill-health.

We need to work out how to narrow that time for more people, and I'm sure exercise is likely to be a big part of that.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    I've never come across the term 'compression of morbidity' before - but I couldn't agree more!!

Any of us can have health problems at any time - the trick is to make it less likely to happen to you!! And you can do that by eating a healthy diet, and exercising frequently. Is that me making a complex subject too simplistic? Or do people add unnecessary complication to an otherwise simple concept as a way of avoiding having to just do it?
    Medical progress has meant that many of the things that killed us off at a younger age are no longer going to do that - so, having won the war (against disease etc), we now need to win the peace (by living our longer lives to the full).
  • Nebulous2
    Options
    Exactly that. Throw in some screening to catch things early and we should make a difference to lots of people.

The problem is - we don't have a health service, we have a sickness service. The first thing that goes when budgets get tight is health promotion.

Many people have become used to the idea they are helpless passengers in this, without realising they can shape their own luck, and it's never too late. Changes can bring benefits even later on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure