PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm on £95.23 for the first week of April. Thought it would be less actually as DH has been away most of the week!

Had a pastry disaster yesterday - only had the "wrong" veg spread (Flora Buttery rather than Olivio) and it seemed to make the pastry too "short" to roll out without breaking up! This has happened before but never so badly that I had to dash out for ready made shortcrust as I had no SR flour left :o

A1di's super 6 veg were all down to 19P each last week so I was hoping that continued into this week, but they have changed over grrr.
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would have been a NSD, sadly had to send DS1 to the shop for milk.. So a very expensive £1 spend.. Am slowly making a list of items needed, though I'm really not well enough to go out yet, shall use up stuff from freezer first! :T
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Options
    £12 spent on a leg of lamb to roast tomorrow, but I shouldn't need to go to the market or spend any more now until Tuesday. Fingers crossed!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Two spends today, one in a@da and one in aldililly. I'll add to total when I sort out the receipts. About £30, which was mainly bits for the holiday. Bit cross with how much that is, but it'll all be used somehow.

Not sure if I'll be around now until weds evening, so have a great week everyone.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • selloptape
    selloptape Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a couple of spends so far.

Bits for lunches last week adding up to £3.55 and a visit to Mr Ts today which was £12.17.

Lovely house guests left lots of treats so just need to buy main meals and healthy bits for the next few days.
  • Itisme_2
    Itisme_2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £4.90 from Tesco yesterday.
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Options
    £57.04 in L*dls.
    DS1 assisted me as I'm still weak and not 100% on form.. He was brill, lots got in for lunches as both back to college/school tomorrow.
    Curry from the freezer for tea their tonight, I'll see what I fancy _pale_
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Options
    Well - I might not have needed anything from the market this morning, but I did need dishwasher tabs... and some wholegrain rice, and some butter & cream to bake cakes for OH's marathon fundraising. So £15.04 duly added... we're not even into double figures days-of-the-month-wise, and nearly half of the budget has already gone! But that said, I shouldn't need too much more except fresh stuff...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Just in a quick check in to make sure I return with real numbers. Psych myself back up and all that. We've had friends visiting for the past few days and between them and overwhelming work, I've just been shoving receipts into a bag to tally them up later. I've spent a lot the last couple of days but hopefully that's abating now.

I'm actually a bit upset at how much food I've tossed into the compost in the last week. :( Some of that is from when OH overbought food last Sunday and me over-cooking as well. I'm going to try just resetting my brain this week and pare back the fridge so it feels more manageable. Have you ever noticed that the fuller the fridge is, the less likely you are to cook? Researchers have done studies on this and it's due to a feeling of visual overwhelm (with choices). It just leads you to say "screw it" and order a pizza instead. :)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    OK, Week 1 of this month has been a bit spendy - £51.93 on a Sainsbobs home delivery and £6.99 in the market. The Sainsbobs shop should have been £77.78 but a fair few of the items were on promotion, I had a MOC coupon and a customer service voucher to use, plus a freebie (a packet of fajita mix) so savings of £25.90. :):) I thought very carefully about what I was buying in order to get the best value and am now well stocked up again. The wriggle room I had in the freezer has gone - I swear I could hear it groaning! ;)

£81.08 left in the budget for the next 3 weeks and this should be perfectly doable as we'll only need fresh stuff like milk, F&V.

Yesterday the postie brought me more Sainsbobs vouchers to use over the next 6 weeks and I'm pleased these are much more usable (each one is £3 off a £20 spend) but I'll only be using them if I really need anything.

We also bought a large bag of frozen mussels in the market but I have a bulk fund for these so no impact on the grocery cash :) although the bulk fund is now down to nil. :(

Meal plan done for the week ahead, with some baking planned in for mid-week. This is really working for me as I feel so much more organised on a day to day basis, I save money and any LOs don't go to waste. :D

On to Week 2 .......
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family