Which type of smart meter do I have?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indeed! As I understand it, SMETS1 meters can not be made to work on the SMETS2 standard.

As SMETS1 customer, I'm happy to be proved wrong as a meter change is a PITA.
  • bri160356
    bri160356 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    john-zxr wrote: »
    That list would be very helpful.

Today I have spoken to

npower, they supply meters unique to them that are not compatible with any other provider. Way to go...

Eon, says if your meter is smets2 they can support no matter what, if its smets1, then only if it is on their list. When I asked what was on the list, they couldnt tell me

Tonik, confirmed my meter is smets1, as are all Liberty100 meters, since upgrades have not started yet. It will only require a software update to make it smets2 compliant - apparently.

For anyone interested this web-page is very informative.

http://watt-logic.com/2018/06/13/smets2/

It covers just about everything one needs to know about the current state of the Smart Meter Roll-out Debacle ,...sorry 'Programme'.

There’s a lot of info but it’s not overly technical and well worth a read;…IMHO, of course. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Landis and Gyr G370 smart gas meters are SMETS1 and SMETS2 compliant. On their website it states that the older G310 can be upgraded to this specification by a simple module exchange. No need to switch the whole meter. The G310 is a very common smart gas meter.Used by British Gas
    https://www.landisgyr.eu/product/g370-zigbee-smart-ultrasonic-gas-meter/
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Houbara wrote: »
    Landis and Gyr G370 smart gas meters are SMETS1 and SMETS2 compliant. On their website it states that the older G310 can be upgraded to this specification by a simple module exchange. No need to switch the whole meter. The G310 is a very common smart gas meter.Used by British Gas

This may well be the case ;HOWEVER , a module exchange implies a visit by a trained "engineer" to carry out the upgrade ,a far more expensive option than the fabled OTA software upgrade PLUS as I understand it, the comms back to base from a SMART metering operation, is dependent on the leccy meter, so presumably that would have to be upgraded as well:)
  • bri160356
    bri160356 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Houbara wrote: »

Good post that;…very interesting.:)

I have Br.Gas Smart-meters (both now ‘dumb’ sadly) and my gas meter is the G310 Smets1 type.

It’s good to know that a simple module change could transform it into a Smets2 compatible unit but I guess any such wholesale module upgrade would be down to organization and ultimately ‘cost’.

It’s a nice idea but upgrading existing electronic equipment can often be more expensive than swapping out the entire unit itself,…especially when the entire unit is comparatively small, inexpensive and relatively simple/quick to replace.

The actual cost of the replacement equipment (or a replacement module) itself is often insignificant compared to the overall cost of a large-scale upgrade programme.

I honestly can’t see a module upgrade to G310 gas meters happening any time soon;…I may well be wrong though. :question:
  • Sam0101
    Options
    Something maybe worth mentioning here, A few years ago - around 2017/18 a Smart meter type 1 was installed and effectively rendered fairly useless after a switch of supplier approx 1 year later -  albeit, after prodding a few buttons, readings were possible.  I switched again to Tonix  (2nd switch after meter installation)  -  we all know what's happened here, gone out of business and a transfer of supply to Scottish Power mid October 2020.   Here's the concerning part -  Scottish Power have taken a smart meter reading from both my meters - clearly shows up on the meter reading page on Tonik account page   the day before I submitted readings to Scottish Power and in pretty much line with the readings submitted the following day by me to Scottish Power   -  Spooky huh!  How did they manage that with a type 1 meter? 
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There's a slow and probably never-ending project to gradually bring SMETS1 meters online in the industry's data collection system that SMETS2 meters use. Yours must have been added at some point.
  • Recombinant
    Options
    According to the Octopus website (in September 2021) "Just so you know, if you have a SMETS1 meter, it doesn't need to be upgraded to SMETS2. Both are great pieces of tech, the key difference between SMETS1 and SMETS2 is that SMETS2 have the inbuilt functionality to let you change supplier without losing their 'smart' ability. We are expecting SMETS1 meters to be upgraded remotely (with no engineer visit required) with this functionality later this year."
    I have a Secure Liberty 100 SMETS1 meter from 2017 that is already capable (allegedly!) of being switched to Octopus without an engineer's visit.
  • Sam0101 said:
    Something maybe worth mentioning here, A few years ago - around 2017/18 a Smart meter type 1 was installed and effectively rendered fairly useless after a switch of supplier approx 1 year later -  albeit, after prodding a few buttons, readings were possible.  I switched again to Tonix  (2nd switch after meter installation)  -  we all know what's happened here, gone out of business and a transfer of supply to Scottish Power mid October 2020.   Here's the concerning part -  Scottish Power have taken a smart meter reading from both my meters - clearly shows up on the meter reading page on Tonik account page   the day before I submitted readings to Scottish Power and in pretty much line with the readings submitted the following day by me to Scottish Power   -  Spooky huh!  How did they manage that with a type 1 meter? 
    Sign up to N3rgy.com (use the I am a Consumer link) and if data appears then your meter has been adopted by and enrolled with the Data Communications Company network. All suppliers have access to this network and they can pull data from meters connected to the network.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback