Which type of smart meter do I have?

Options
john-zxr
john-zxr Posts: 14 Forumite
edited 10 August 2018 at 8:40AM in Energy
Hi,

My energy supplier recently offered me a smart meter replacement for gas and electricity, which I accepted.

Now I find out that older smart meters (SMETS1) may not work as a smart meter if you change supplier due to compatibilities between communication protocols. The newer SMETS2 meters do not have this problem, but the majority of installed meters are the older ones.

My question is, is my meter first or second generation? I was looking for a list of meters or even which suppliers supported which meters, but I cannot find anything after a lot of looking. I could of course phone potential new suppliers and ask if they support my meter, but I would rather just see a list of who supports what to make the process quicker.

My meter is a Liberty 100 (electricity) and the install was done via Tonik energy. Im planning to switch suppliers soon and I dont want my smart meter to turn dumb again when I do. I also dont really want to wait until 2020 for the upgrade to all the old meters to be complete.

Does anyone know where to find a list of who supports what or whether this is a smets1 or 2 meter?

Thanks

John

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As there are only a couple of hundred SMETS2 meters out there yours is more than likely a SMETS1
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    youtube.com/watch?v=Q7lHdQaJFOw

Does your meter look like this ? If so its a Smets 1 and dreadful to read yourself.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't know for sure ,but I think its very likely that Tonik are fitting SMETS1 meters, as so few SMETS2 meters have been fitted, even by the big boys. Unfortunately its likely to go "dumb" on switching.
    As to waiting til 2020? My own view is that "adopting" these SMETS1 meters on to the centralised data collection system is NEVER going to happen - it'll be consigned to the "too difficult" box ,so these original meters will ultimately have to be replaced at the consumer's expense:(
  • john-zxr
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    youtube.com/watch?v=Q7lHdQaJFOw

Does your meter look like this ? If so its a Smets 1 and dreadful to read yourself.

Yes, that's the one.

I can read the meter from the in house display, so thats not much of an issue.
  • john-zxr
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Don't know for sure ,but I think its very likely that Tonik are fitting SMETS1 meters, as so few SMETS2 meters have been fitted, even by the big boys. Unfortunately its likely to go "dumb" on switching.
    As to waiting til 2020? My own view is that "adopting" these SMETS1 meters on to the centralised data collection system is NEVER going to happen - it'll be consigned to the "too difficult" box ,so these original meters will ultimately have to be replaced at the consumer's expense:(

Great...

I find it surprising there is no supplier compatibility guide anywhere. As if this wasn't the most badly thought out implementation in the first place, this now makes switching even harder, assuming you want your smart meter to remain smart.
  • Robin9
    edited 10 August 2018 at 9:59AM
    Options
    john-zxr wrote: »
    Yes, that's the one.

My MIL has this meter (an Eon instal - now the supplier is Flow) and we put the IHD in a drawer. I know it arguement goes that when people know how much energy costs they will cut down. My fear is that when my 97 yo MIL sees the figures she will turn things off , the thermostat down and she will get cold. She think 16 deg is too hot, her house now runs at 22

I manually read it direct from the meter - press 9
  • john-zxr
    Options
    Yes, that's the one.

turns out, i cannot read the meter from the IHD, I just checked. I just assumed that was basic functionality, but no, it's not. Wow, this whole smart meter thing is a bit of a farce...
  • Robin9
    Options
    Your thread "Which type of meter do I have? " is quite fundamental.

Does anyone know of a website in the public domain that lists which supplier supplies what make/model of meter and its compatability ?

There was a spokesman for the industry on BCC this moring who I think was speaking a lot of rot when he said that 80% of the meters remained Smart when switching suppliers. I only know of Sainsbury and BG; some seem to regain their Smartness when you switch back.
  • john-zxr
    edited 11 August 2018 at 7:58AM
    Options
    That list would be very helpful.

Today I have spoken to

npower, they supply meters unique to them that are not compatible with any other provider. Way to go...

Eon, says if your meter is smets2 they can support no matter what, if its smets1, then only if it is on their list. When I asked what was on the list, they couldnt tell me

Tonik, confirmed my meter is smets1, as are all Liberty100 meters, since upgrades have not started yet. It will only require a software update to make it smets2 compliant - apparently.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

It will only require a software update to make it mets2 compliant - apparently.

Apparently the moon is made of blue cheese - I am sure both these comments are completely true!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback