Why fixed line/landline broadband when unlimited/high allowance mobile broadband deals available?

Options
13»

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £50 install?

Sky & NowTV at least are happy to move the BB with no charge or extended contract which should mitigate any concerns over future moves.
    Without a current landline ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Without a current landline ?

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/new-phone-line-installation-for-free.html

If you ask they'll frequently waive any cost for a new landline. Even though NowTV aren't on that list you can only ask.
  • Mickiemice
    Options
    I’m considering this very question. My NowTV home Broadband deal is coming to an end. Currently pay £25 per month, and get around 30mb/s download speeds-sometimes as low as 17mb/s . I’m sure I can renegotiate something around that cost with someone if my price goes up, but have just discovered three download speeds are around 70-110 mb/s (92 last night on a Saturday night) I’d been thinking of switching my mobile to three as I use three PAYG for roaming in the states so had been testing three where I tend to use it. As a current customer they do unlimited home broadband with a better than standard router for £18. (Basic router £16 pm)

We don’t game but do stream, and don’t use the fixed line phone. I don’t know how much the latency will affect streaming on, NowTV it’s usually around 10ms sometimes up to 15. On Three it’s usually around 30 sometimes up to 50ms. I guess i’ll Need to test it out streaming on a Saturday night before committing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mickiemice wrote: »
    I’m considering this very question. My NowTV home Broadband deal is coming to an end. Currently pay £25 per month, and get around 30mb/s download speeds-sometimes as low as 17mb/s . I’m sure I can renegotiate something around that cost with someone if my price goes up, but have just discovered three download speeds are around 70-110 mb/s (92 last night on a Saturday night) I’d been thinking of switching my mobile to three as I use three PAYG for roaming in the states so had been testing three where I tend to use it. As a current customer they do unlimited home broadband with a better than standard router for £18. (Basic router £16 pm)

We don’t game but do stream, and don’t use the fixed line phone. I don’t know how much the latency will affect streaming on, NowTV it’s usually around 10ms sometimes up to 15. On Three it’s usually around 30 sometimes up to 50ms. I guess i’ll Need to test it out streaming on a Saturday night before committing.

Latency won't affect streaming at all, it's bandwidth that matters for that, the player buffers enough content so that it's always in front of what you're watching. Low latency is almost exclusively a requisite for online PVP gaming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure