PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Options

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Though this is Day 6 of the year, I'm "in" as of now.

As far as I can recall nothing other than complete rubbish has been thrown out since 31 December.
  • 2018saver
    2018saver Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Bag of 7 bits of clothes and shoes to the charity shop this morning, then old bit of furniture sold from garage this afternoon - going to count this as two as it was big!
    33/2018
  • 2018saver
    Options
    Pile of old statements and pile of receipts all shredded and in to the recycling.
    35/2018
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Everyone has been so busy.And look how many of us there are already this year :j:j.
    This morning I went through a box of stuff that my 11yo had set aside for donation.Some of it wasn't really donate-able (1/2 used tubes of skin cream,notebooks with a coouple of pages torn out,or scribbles in),so I put a few bits out for recycling/binning.The rest I will list here when I donate it.
    This afternoon I sorted through the top-shelf of a cupboard in my son's room.It hasn't been looked at for many years :eek:.
    I found :
    -a folder of papers relating to buying our current house in 2001
    -an Easter egg,expiry date June 2011 :eek::eek:
    -many unopened boxes of Christmas cards(wish I had found them before Christmas,I woud have donated them with the other 4 boxes I donated from the loft in December :o)
    -cards and letter between OH and I,about 18years old
    -children's Cds,the cases of which are in the loft-will get them all together tomorrow to donate
    -bundle of newspapers and articles.Will have a look through them tomorrow
    -bag of 13video tapes:recordings from the television of news reports re queen mother's death,capture of Sadam Hussein,attack on World Trade Centre
    -folder of papers to do with my old job (like,18year old manual handling papers :eek:)
    -a couple of odds and bods: unopened packet of 6 placemats and coasters,empty cardboard boxes,tealight candle set....

So I sorted through everything.Alot of it I will keep,but some put out for donation and recycling.The rest has been put back very tidily,making more room for stuff :rotfl::rotfl:

Out of the house today:

Recycled:
    73:a tin
    74:reed diffuser jar
    75:bunch of reeds from above jar
    76:empty body lotion tube
    77:wooden letter "K"
    78:shoebox and lid
    79:folder of papers from old job

Binned:
    80-81:2 bottles of very old,gunky nail polish
    82:Brain Game electronic handheld toy-buttons worn and unreadable
    83:emery board

Will list donations when they leave the house
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Sa1sysoo wrote: »
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in [STRIKE]2015 2016 2017[/STRIKE] 2018!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2018 items in 2018.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented Slinky: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5681824

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

:D Welcome one and all and happy decluttering! :D

Hi Sa1sysoo,

Thanks for this:):T

I know I am a bit late to the party, but can I join you? I am struggling to get into full declutter mood so maybe this will help.
    My list so far:

1. Dealing with post as & when it arrives (anywhere between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.). This includes paying bills, filing statements, shredding & recycling. This will count as ONE for the whole year.
    2. Half a black bin bag of shredded paper - some of it from an old club membership is over 50 years old! When full will go straight in bin - no shredding in our council’s recycling.
    3. XMas cards recycled - I usually find them 5 years later in a drawer or box!
    4. Two hand knitted scarves posted to DB - not an XMas present!
    5. All XMas foodstuffs used - mostly eaten with 2 items in freezer.

In order to “encourage myself” to declutter, when I visit cs it will only be listed as two items (regardless of number of contents) - one hold-all & one wheelie bag.

To a clutter free 2018

Mrs SD:o
    5/2018
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • 2018saver
    Options
    Forgot that I posted an eB*y sale yesterday and this morning sorted through a bag and got rid of a few bits in to the bin.
    37/2018
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Half a black bin bag of shredded paper - some of it from an old club membership is over 50 years old! When full will go straight in bin - no shredding in our council’s recycling.

Do you have a food bin collection? Or a compost bin/heap?
    Shredded paper can't be recycled with other paper (my understanding is that it's because shredding makes the fibres too short) but we can put shredded paper in our food bin which goes for composting
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    What do you all do with Christmas and birthday cards that you've received from your (adult) children and grandchildren? I can't bear to throw them out, but they are just accumulating in a box, and when Dh and I pop off they'll get thrown out, I'm sure,
  • Guineapigsqueaks
    Options
    Morning All
    Christmas stuff successfully packed away yesterday. Nothing needed getting rid of really. Although I didn't use it all this year, I might do in future years. DS and DD consumed last two chocolate decs from the tree. I found a sole survivor Christmas card that went into the recycling. Rest went in ages ago.
    Lots of items rehomed. Bit of a sort of bathroom cabinet, so some recycling of old boxes and packaging, ditto kitchen cupboards and fridge ready for food shop being kindly delivered by Mr A today.
    I decluttered the Christmas shortbread and recycled the tin and plastic insert as I ate the last piece :T.
    Today is good clean and sort of DS's room. Should be rubbish found. And possibly get stuff transferred to my new calendar so the old one can go. And a little walk into town, to walk off that shortbread. We've a very pretty frost here this morning.
    Have a lovely Sunday all.
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What do you all do with Christmas and birthday cards that you've received from your (adult) children and grandchildren? I can't bear to throw them out, but they are just accumulating in a box, and when Dh and I pop off they'll get thrown out, I'm sure,

ScarletRibbons,I am sorry I can't advise-I have the same problem :o.We have 4 children,age nearly 9 to 15.5.I have kept EVERY birthday/Christmas/Easter/any occasion card from them,every picture ever labelled "To mum"/"a picture for mum",etc,every drawing ever done of the family.I have kept every school book/school report/bump note (!!) the kids have ever bought home :o:o.And the closest I have ever come to organising it is,since starting this declutter (October 2016 :eek:),I have been [STRIKE]chucking[/STRIKE]placing them all very carefully in a plastic box under our bed.Anything older than that is still in boxes and plastic bags in cupboards and boxes throughout the house and loft :eek::eek::eek:.
    Sorry,not very helpful,but had to say you are not alone.It is hard with sentimental stuff,isn't it?I have been decluttering on and off for 4 years (mostly to try and stop drowning in stuff that 4 kids and a hoarding partner bring in :eek:),but sentimental stuff is one area I have successfully avoided :o.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family