Recommendation for joint account

Options
My husband and I want to open a joint account for household bills, but we don't want to close our individual current accounts. Is there one out there for us?

We went to an appointment with HSBC (that took a month to arrange) and they told us we'd have to completely switch our existing current accounts. I was annoyed as I'd specifically asked about this when booking the appointment.

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Rufty1 wrote: »
    My husband and I want to open a joint account for household bills, but we don't want to close our individual current accounts. Is there one out there for us?

There are many many joint accounts 'out there'. It is, however, up to each bank to decide whether they want you & your husband as customers.

We went to an appointment with HSBC (that took a month to arrange) and they told us we'd have to completely switch our existing current accounts. I was annoyed as I'd specifically asked about this when booking the appointment.

Thanks for the advice.

Absolute rubbish! There is no need to switch any account, unless you are looking for a switching incentive.

You'll have to give a bit more information about what sort of account you're looking for though.

Have you read this?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would a Santander 123 Lite joint account suit your purposes?

http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/123-lite-current-account
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The obvious answer would be to open a secondary account at the bank(s) you and your partner currently bank with. You can have more than one current account with the same provider, and keeping your finances separate for budgeting purposes is a perfectly valid reason.

A new bank may be understandably loathe to set up fresh customer records, accounts, cards etc if you make it clear you do all your main banking elsewhere and therefore they'll have the privilege of handling your bills when what they really want is you to turn to them when you're in need of insurance, loans, credit cards etc. They're businesses, not charities, after all.
    : )
  • Rufty1
    Rufty1 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We both have HSBC accounts (one current one business) but HSBC said we would have to close our current accounts. But as my main current account is linked to my mortgage in an offset account I can't move mine. I don't want to either as I still want to be able to may my own CC bill.

I did read the 'best bank accounts' link but it was only current accounts and I couldn't find anything on joint accounts. We are still struggling.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    We both have HSBC accounts (one current one business) but HSBC said we would have to close our current accounts. But as my main current account is linked to my mortgage in an offset account I can't move mine. I don't want to either as I still want to be able to may my own CC bill.

I did read the 'best bank accounts' link but it was only current accounts and I couldn't find anything on joint accounts. We are still struggling.

Current accounts are joint account. Why differentiate the terminology.

123 Lite from Santander sounds like a plan. Or a joint added value account (pay fee, get travel insurance etc) might give some value if you both drive, travel etc.
  • Rufty1
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance PeacefulWaters, can you open any old current account with 2 different names then? (P.S we don't really want to pay to bank)
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance PeacefulWaters, can you open any old current account with 2 different names then? (P.S we don't really want to pay to bank)

I can't think of any bank that doesn't offer joint current accounts.
  • Rufty1
    Options
    PeacefulWaters - I know they all do current accounts - but do they allow 2 people with different names to open one?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    PeacefulWaters - I know they all do current accounts - but do they allow 2 people with different names to open one?

Yes

It is not uncommon for unmarried couples, father & married daughter, siblings with different surnames etc etc to hold joint accounts.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Yes they do. Any two people can open a joint account. I had one some years ago with my ex. We had different names, but same address (though even that is not essential).

Some good fee free accounts you could look at are:
    TSB Classic Plus Account (interest and money every month, but time limited)
    Halifax Reward Account (£3 a month if you pay in £750 and have 2 DD, also access to everyday offers)
    Bank of Scotland Classic with Vantage (interest and cashback on debit card spending through their everyday offers)
    Nationwide (good interest for a year if you pay in £1000 a month)

If you don't mind an account fee (but check that what you earn in cashback is more than the fee you pay):
    RBS/Natwest do a Reward Account where you can get cashback on DDs you use to pay bills.
    Santander 123/123 Lite accounts (like the RBS one)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure