Aldi prices creeping up

Options
Has anybody else noticed how Aldi prices are rising compared to the "big" supermarkets?

We've shopped at Aldi for some while now as on average, we reckoned our weekly shop costed around 2/3rd that of a similar Tesco shop. In the last few weeks however, we've noticed prices rising and I assumed it was down to a mix of a weak pound and inflation but I did a comparison last night.

I took last week's Aldi receipt and did a sample equivalent online shop at both ASDA & Tesco. The result?

ALDI - £38.76
ASDA - £38.43
Tesco - £40.42

Now these comparison shops were online orders for home delivery so I would have had to add on £3-£5 but in reality that's what it costs me in fuel to drive to ALDI anyway. Also, some items aren't directly comparable but I did choose those which we would have bought in a typical "basic" shop.

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had noticed prices creeping up a bit but not as much as the few things I buy in Sainsbury's. As an example, with inflation running at below 3%, 2 of the items I get from Sainsbury's have gone up 20% since the start of the year. I know it's not all about increased food prices as fuel has to be taken into account (doubt there's been an increase in staff wages) but profit margins seem to be sacrosanct.

I think it does depend on what you buy and I don't think it's fair to compare the basic range from a supermarket with Aldi as Aldi is better quality IMO.

I tried your experiment with my shopping list from Aldi last week. I went for own brand wherever possible. This is how it worked out for me:

Asda £51.35
    Tesco: £51.68
    Aldi: £37.22!!

So it's still very worthwhile for me shopping at Aldi.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    The gap between Aldi and the big supermarkets is shrinking over time, but I think part of that is down to the big supermarkets trying to win back customers, so making their products cheaper.

The quality at Aldi however is far superior than other big supermarkets I have tried.
    Zebras rock
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Maman - maybe this thread could be a place for us all to compare weekly shops?
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Also Lidl. I've been buying their 50p bag of frozen chips for the last year. It's just a nice size for us and means I haven't got to store chips in the freezer. Bought a bag yesterday....now 55p.....10% price increase!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Prices are creeping up as they are now advertising on the telly etc - and developing/promoting "premium brands" and posher stuff, to attract the middle classes.

They used to simply sell good food at cheap prices... now they're in the race for people who buy unusual stuff, new fads, luxury items etc. The shops also have to be kept cleaner/smarter than they used to be....

All of that costs money.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    peewhyeff wrote: »
    Also Lidl. I've been buying their 50p bag of frozen chips for the last year. It's just a nice size for us and means I haven't got to store chips in the freezer. Bought a bag yesterday....now 55p.....10% price increase!

I buy those - they went DOWN to 50p in about late 2015. They were 55-60p before that.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Yes but don't complain.

Without Aldi or Lidl the big Four supermarkets would be ripping us off even more.

Some people would still be unhappy even if they gave the food for free to you.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Buggins
    Buggins Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went to buy Manuka honey in Aldi and found the price had increased by £2!
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lidl have as well. There fresh pain au chocolate have gone up from 39p to 45p ( still cheaper than other places but an increase)
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 8:13AM
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    Yes but don't complain.

Without Aldi or Lidl the big Four supermarkets would be ripping us off even more.

Some people would still be unhappy even if they gave the food for free to you.

I agree, but at what point do you start to shop elsewhere? My point is - I have shopped at ALDI for quite some time now because although mine is a smaller store, is rubbish for parking and has limited choice, it was worth going to because of the MUCH lower prices.

Why would I continue putting up with the negatives when the main advantage is no longer there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure