Aldi prices creeping up

Options

Comments

• septemberblues
    Options
    I live 5 walk mins away from a big Sainsbury, but used to drive 15 mins to Tesco or aldi, but I don't bother so much now. I go Aldi once every two weeks but don't buy the fruit and veg as its such bad quality, I don't go Tesco anymore as they've got rid of some of the things I bought and I think they are the same price now as Sainsbury.

I've got in the habit now of going to sains once our twice a week in the afternoon and buying their reduced stuff......I love it and their fruit and veg is amazing. I figure I save/spend the same as before doing it this way, as spending less on petrol.
    I was always a Tesco shopper but I don't think they offer value for money anymore. Eg: sugar free jelly sachets 99p (up from 75p!)....they are much cheaper in sains.
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »

I remember when Netto first showed up but it was rather a bargain basement store and reminded me very much of the old Fine Fare and Kwiksave stores. Ones to avoid at all cost! :rotfl:

Remember the walk in chillers?

I remember the different flavours of creamed filled biscuits, similar sized to custard creams. My favourites were coconut and coffee.

The shops were very very scruffy
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Remember the walk in chillers?

I remember the different flavours of creamed filled biscuits, similar sized to custard creams. My favourites were coconut and coffee.

The shops were very very scruffy

Yes, very! Boxes of stock sitting around half opened etc.

I do remember those biscuits, they did a strawberry cream one too. The only one I liked were the coconut ones.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I live 5 walk mins away from a big Sainsbury, but used to drive 15 mins to Tesco or aldi, but I don't bother so much now. I go Aldi once every two weeks but don't buy the fruit and veg as its such bad quality, I don't go Tesco anymore as they've got rid of some of the things I bought and I think they are the same price now as Sainsbury.

Well I certainly don't! A recent survey put Sainsbury's near the top of the list for price and I certainly found that this week when, for the first time in months, I shopped in a different town and did so at a Tesco branch.

Sainsbury's are considerably more expensive than Aldi for my weekly shop, and Tesco is somewhere in the middle. In fact I occasionally shop in Waitrose too and Sainsbury works out more expensive even than Waitrose!

That said, I agree about Aldi's fruit and veg, which is substandard far too often.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Netto were the reason I avoided Aldi and Lidl for so long. I remember going in one once years ago and it was like a tip and the shop stank. I vowed never to go in one again and had assumed that Aldi and Lidl would be similar.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well I use Aldi and am amazed how much i get for my money despite prices rising on the items I buy.

If I go to Sainsbobs and put 6 items in my basket its £20 gone whereas Aldi a weekly shop is about £20 - £30 depending on what I have run out of.

3 Examples - individual choc mouse desert thing 39p Sains 99p

Loaf of farmhouse wholemeal 99p in Aldi but £170 in Sainsbob

Lump of cheese in Aldi !.59 but circa £3 in sains

Fruit / veg super 6 is unbeatable imo
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    The Brexit impact's really starting to bite now, unfortunately, and even Aldi can't hold down prices for ever when the pound's fallen so much.

For clarification - its not Brexit that has caused the price increase. We havent left the EU yet.

Its the money gamblers in the stock exchanges who gamble on currency have suddenly found they cant so easily predict money movements so they've lost confidence in buying sterling.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    For clarification - its not Brexit that has caused the price increase. We havent left the EU yet.

Its the money gamblers in the stock exchanges who gamble on currency have suddenly found they cant so easily predict money movements so they've lost confidence in buying sterling.

That's utter nonsense, though the Brexit lobby are doubtless still peddling all the lies they pushed out pre-referendum.

The fall in the pound was a direct and immediate result of the referendum outcome, simply because currency markets always look to the future. The markets just reflect a world view of the value of the pound, and the referendum outcome damaged that value irrevocably. Hardly surprising, given that this small, relatively unimportant, country now has to fight for a trade deal to keep us afloat against 27 other countries, all keen to defend the EU. If we get a deal it will be inferior to what we have now, and if we don't we're sunk.

Madness - and the rising price of food and everything else is just an inevitable consequence. You may not like being told that, but the dire predictions are now being fulfilled, and that's one of the reasons Theresa May's just proved herself to be the second incompetent Prime Minister in a row.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    Well I use Aldi and am amazed how much i get for my money despite prices rising on the items I buy.

If I go to Sainsbobs and put 6 items in my basket its £20 gone whereas Aldi a weekly shop is about £20 - £30 depending on what I have run out of.

3 Examples - individual choc mouse desert thing 39p Sains 99p

Loaf of farmhouse wholemeal 99p in Aldi but £170 in Sainsbob

Lump of cheese in Aldi !.59 but circa £3 in sains

Fruit / veg super 6 is unbeatable imo

I think most honest shoppers would agree that Aldi still offers much better value than Sainsbury's. The question is, is the gap between Aldi and some of the other supermarkets narrowing?
  • Gnocchi
    Gnocchi Posts: 860 Forumite
    Options
    Saw a tweet today that Aldi is looking to recruit 4000 new staff and Lidl is aiming to open one new store per week for the next ten years, according to a tweet from The Grocer.

Wondering how more Lidl and Aldi stores would affect prices. Might Aldi and Lidl try to go more mainstream and increase prices and widen ranges ?

Alternatively, would Tesco and Sainsbury lower theirs ?

I've noticed amount of offers on Ocado reduced drastically but not many price rises. However in Sainsbury's and Tesco fresh stuff is up. My carrots up 25p, apples 10p, olive oil 50p.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure