Aldi prices creeping up

Options
14567810»

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just out of interest I found an old Aldi receipt in the back of a drawer today. It's 18 months old. I couldn't compare much as I always buy as many Super 6 as I can and different things on offer. But compared with Sainsbury's where I've seen 20% increases l found: eggs, cottage cheese and asparagus no change, 1p on a kg of carrots, 2p on broccoli and (shock horror:eek:) 10p on my favourite chocolate!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    and (shock horror:eek:) 10p on my favourite chocolate!
    Probably a good thing! I know no longer buy branded chocolate as it's far too expensive for what it is. A certain brand is now nearly double the price per gram it was 10 years ago, and the quality is now awful.
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with you more. I'm amazed at how much difference a good manager can make to a store.
    I'm not. A good manager will make for a happy team, satisfied customers and ringing tills :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Probably a good thing! I know no longer buy branded chocolate as it's far too expensive for what it is. A certain brand is now nearly double the price per gram it was 10 years ago, and the quality is now awful.
    The one plus is that my favourite 70% Moser Roth comes in little bars inside the pack. I try to just share a small bar with DH but it's not easy. :(
  • robrymond
    Options
    To be fair, this week I noticed a mass of red label reductions again. Premium curry sauces now 77p (were £1.19 at one point).

Only thing that bugs me is the price of the buttery spread still at £1.75. most other prices have been the same for years on a number of things.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well I have a new aldi's opening this Thursday and everyone locally are so looking forward to the new store its about 5 minutes from the huge tesco's and I think Mr T may have a run for his money there.I normally drive to Sittingbourne and back for my Aldi fix and now I won't have to :):):) I have a Tesco metro three minutes away from where I live ,rarely if ever go in there a sainsbury's and asdas about 10 minutes away also rarely visited and the big tescos about a mile away. Not keen on Tesco's either so I shall be a happy bunny come Thursday and better off as I shall save a 12 mile round trip twice a month for my shopping. On the same business park is a poundland and a large Iceland so my shopping is sorted and I won't have to trail around big shops again thank goodness.I was talking to my eldest DD on Saturday and she is quite well-heeled and her and her OH normally shop in W'rose or M&S but even she said they were happy to use the new Aldi's as a change from elsewhere.On the continent its quite normal to shop in Aldi's or Lidls and no one thinks its down market out there at all I think the big UK supermarkets have had a shock about how the british public's shopping habits have altered over the years I personally shopped in Sainsburys for well over 40 plus years and wouldn't go anywhere else but in the past 4-5 years I too have changed my habits and ideas and find that both Aldi's and Lidls are excellent places to buy stuff in I can't speak for spaghetti hoops as I don't eat them and the thought of cheese 'strings' makes me heave, but then I don't have small children to cater for.
  • Gnocchi
    Options
    The reason for rising prices at Aldi became apparent yesterday in a tweet and article by trade magazine The Grocer.

Sales are up by £1billion, but profits are down although Aldi is now 5th largest supermarket in UK now with 6.9% market share.

Many of the people now shopping in Aldi are defectors from Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose. Many aren't in dire straits financially, but saving on food gives that extra bit of disposable income. It also gives them extra smug points.

Also, it's becoming more normal, NOT to use just one supermarket for everything.

I will happily buy organic veg from Aldi, wild seafood and fish from Iceland and use Ocado for things I can't buy elsewhere or when on offer.

My mother uses Sainsbury's, Marks and Spencer and Lidl.

I think the price rises are an attempt to close the gap. Gaining more shoppers but not making a profit from them, isn't sustainable.
  • maman
    Options
    I read the financial news from Aldi as them making a good profit but not as high as it might have been if they hadn't been determined to keep their prices lower than the 'major' supermarkets. Taking into account that they've also had the expenditure of opening more stores I think they're doing OK both for themselves and for us consumers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure